• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PMPORTER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Indianapolis
    After getting back into blades a few months back, I would like to share what I have discovered about certain brands and get some of your thoughts. I was amazed at how many knife company's where out there and how many knives to choose from. So I thought why not let the other new guys in on a few things I have learned by purchasing from many different companys. If you are looking for an inexpensive High Value folding knife check out Kershaw or Byrd brand knives. Kershaw has this part of the market sewn up in my opinion, the knife you get for the money is hard to beat. SOG makes a great lightweight EDC knife, if weight is a big issue with you check out SOG. Spyderco is my favorite company just got a Para 2 and I love it ! Spyderco gives you a lot for your money, great designs, quality even on the value line and good materials. I have many knives by Different companys like Bladetech, Boker and etc., But for you guys just getting into blades check out Kershaw, Spyderco and Byrd. You get good quality at a good price, just my 2 cents.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Kershaw doesn't really do much for me (excluding the ZT lineup), but I can't give a real reason why. I love Spyderco though, and think they make a great bang for buck blade. For a few more bucks though, I ultimately favor Benchmade.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Kershaw doesn't really do much for me (excluding the ZT lineup), but I can't give a real reason why. I love Spyderco though, and think they make a great bang for buck blade. For a few more bucks though, I ultimately favor Benchmade.

Yeah, Kershaw and SOG don't do anything for me other than I do like a couple ZT models. Benchmade has a few models I kind of like. I'm a huge Spyderco fan. They have a lot of collaborations with custom makers that are really nice, plus they make decent knives at lower price points.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Glad your back into knives. Now you have to try out the "higher" end stuff like benchmade and microtech for starters.

1) I'll take a comparable Spyderco over a Benchmade any day. Benchmade has forever lost my business with their MAP policy, and I feel that I get a LOT more bang for my buck with Spyderco. And the fit and finish on the knives coming out of Spyderco Taichung and Golden CO seems better than any of the new Benchmade knives from what I've seen.

2) Microtechs are garbage for the amount they charge. Uneven grinds, cruddy fit and finish, poor customer service, they're overpriced for what you get, etc... Kershaw's standard offerings are nicer than a microtech.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Boker is my favorite brand, a lot of value for low price and good looks to boot.

Microtech makes a very fine OTF and I have no trouble recommending them either.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Boker is my favorite brand, a lot of value for low price and good looks to boot.

Microtech makes a very fine OTF and I have no trouble recommending them either.

I can't fully knock either brand you recommend but microtech's customer service isn't up to par imo. they really need to work on that. boker has some great blades but almost all their stuff is made in china and that saddens me. could definitely be better qc imo. but the albatros ect are pretty awesome blades. however for the most part around the 100 dollar mark I would still go with kershaw/zt or spyderco. to each their own though. that probably explains why there are so many different companies making knives.!!!!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    1) I'll take a comparable Spyderco over a Benchmade any day. Benchmade has forever lost my business with their MAP policy, and I feel that I get a LOT more bang for my buck with Spyderco. And the fit and finish on the knives coming out of Spyderco Taichung and Golden CO seems better than any of the new Benchmade knives from what I've seen.

2) Microtechs are garbage for the amount they charge. Uneven grinds, cruddy fit and finish, poor customer service, they're overpriced for what you get, etc... Kershaw's standard offerings are nicer than a microtech.
    Why would a company lose your business for refusing to cheapen their brand?

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    They changed their policies. It used to be cheaper, and now I don't think their knives are worth what they cost.

I have been direct with Benchmade for four years. Benchmade did not change their policy or increase their prices to their dealers. The MAP policy has always been there, and when you sign up to be a direct dealer, you as a dealer are suppose to follow their rules that you agreed to when becoming a dealer. What Benchmade did was they started enforcing their MAP policy because of several high volume dealers that were discounting Benchmade knives on line.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I have one knife. It's a ZT I got from Brad. It is everything I wanted in a knife. Couldn't be happier or more satisfied with the transaction.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Regardless of the specifics about their policy change, I don't think that benchmade knives are worth MAP prices, and that's what they cost now. They didn't used to sell for full MAP. I used to be able to get benchmade knives at reasonable prices, and I can't do that anymore. I won't be buying anymore because they aren't worth it.

For example, a BM mini grip at $90 or a full size grip at $100 in 154cm seems ridiculous to me. Especially when I can pick up a spyderco manix 2 in cpm s30v for $90 all day, every day.

I have been direct with Benchmade for four years. Benchmade did not change their policy or increase their prices to their dealers. The MAP policy has always been there, and when you sign up to be a direct dealer, you as a dealer are suppose to follow their rules that you agreed to when becoming a dealer. What Benchmade did was they started enforcing their MAP policy because of several high volume dealers that were discounting Benchmade knives on line.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    1)

Uneven grinds, crappy fit and finish? With the rare exception of a couple I just have not seen that with Microtech. Yes the CS could be better buy microtech is legendary for their product quality and innovation. And I have handled allot of microtechs.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    They changed their policies. It used to be cheaper, and now I don't think their knives are worth what they cost.
    you do know what MAP is don't you? You can buy a BM for a lot less than MAP, you just can't see that price ADVERTISED by an authorized dealer, or even an indirect dealer. They can sell it to you below cost if they were so inclined, they just can't ADVERTISE lower than MAP?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    1)
    I guess Brad owes me an apology, my Halo has excellent fit and finish, yes it was expensive, but overpriced? Nope, I've been offered a damn sight more than I paid for it, I will kind of agree on the CS stand, but I'm bitter about an MSAR STG556 that never worked. Garbage? Nope, totally talking out of an ass because the mouth knows better

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I paid $100 for my brand new Ultratech. I'm okay with it for the price :)

And yes, you can have a lot of $100 dollar bills flapping in the face of Microtech, and they still won't be super eager to help. But, as said before, Microtech is known for the level of customer service they provide.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    you do know what MAP is don't you? You can buy a BM for a lot less than MAP, you just can't see that price ADVERTISED by an authorized dealer, or even an indirect dealer. They can sell it to you below cost if they were so inclined, they just can't ADVERTISE lower than MAP?

Yup.....I fully understand MAP.

So you're arguing that BM street prices haven't gone up as a result of their policy change? If so, you haven't been paying attention.

And as far as Microtech's f&f, apparently some of you guys just don't expect what I do out of a $300+ blade. The ones I've seen had uneven grinds (to the point of grinds being very noticeably shallower on one side than the other), some had incomplete finish (stonewash didn't get through grind marks in random spots), lockup was early or late on some examples, and highly off center blades. Obviously, you can look through a few and pick out a good one, but they should all be 100% at this price point, and they aren't. Heck, these are issues that I don't see on $100 knives from the big3.

But to each their own.

Last edited:

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Yup.....I fully understand MAP.

So you're arguing that BM street prices haven't gone up as a result of their policy change? If so, you haven't been paying attention.

I don't see his argument being about "street prices" (aka secondary market). He is referring to buying a Benchmade from an actual Benchmade direct dealer. Benchmade has no control on, and they don't care about individuals (non Benchmade dealers) that sell in the secondary market.

As far as the secondary market, it pretty much controls itself, buyers are only going to pay what they feel is a fair value for an item, and as long as an item is selling for a certain price, you can't expect sellers to lower their price below the current fair market value.

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Brad, by street prices, I'm talking selling prices at big sites, such as bladehq, knifecenter, knifeworks, etc...
    The prices have gone up because of the newly enforced MAP policies of BM. Again, if everyone on this site is just burrying their heads in the sand and not acknowledging it, that's fine. But street prices have gone up, and I'm not talking secondary prices.

Top Bottom