• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    FYI: Over the last 6 months at the gun & knife shows, I'm noticing a very large increase in counterfeit and fake knives. This does not pertain to any one show or vendor....I'm seeing it at all of the shows. The most common counterfeit or fake brands that I'm seeing is Microtech, Benchmade, Strider, Chris Reeve, and Case knives.

Also, let it be known that there are a few vendors selling OTF (out the front) auto knives stating that the internal mechanism are USA made and come with a life time warranty. They will even tell you that the internals are the same as the internals that Microtech uses. This is not the case, they are cheap Chinese made knives that use low quality materials, and they do not have a life time warranty. If you choose to deal with a vendor that tells you this, just ask them to see the warranty card or ask for the info that should come with the knife that gives you the contact info needed for the warranty.....they won't be able to produce it! Manufactures of the real deal, will almost always have warranty information with their knives. It should also be noted that having a warranty card is not necessary a guarantee that you are buying the real deal. I'm seeing copied warranty cards with some of these knives...especially Microtech knives.

Be careful when purchasing the higher quality knife brands, and know who you are dealing with.

Last edited:

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    The last show I went to I was shocked at the amount of obvious fakes being sold by willing and (likely) knowing vendors. Serioulsy disgusting however mall ninjas dont care but I do.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Chris Reeve Knives

i've yet to see a fake chris reeve knife, (in fact ive only seen one chris reeve knife), a sebenza is my holy grail knife, i think if someone sold me a fake sebenza, id end up in prison, and the "theif" who sold it to me would be eating thru a straw for a long time!

thanks for the info brad, as always you are a class act, taking time out of your day to help out your ingo family!

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    The last show I went to I was shocked at the amount of obvious fakes being sold by willing and (likely) knowing vendors. Serioulsy disgusting however mall ninjas dont care but I do.

It is disgusting, and it's starting to be very annoying as I get people saying things like " why is your Microtech $225 and the guy over there has the same thing for $75.00" :rolleyes:

Chris Reeve Knives

i've yet to see a fake chris reeve knife, (in fact ive only seen one chris reeve knife), a sebenza is my holy grail knife, i think if someone sold me a fake sebenza, id end up in prison, and the "theif" who sold it to me would be eating thru a straw for a long time!

thanks for the info brad, as always you are a class act, taking time out of your day to help out your ingo family!

I can assure you that any CRK Sebenza that you purchase from me is the real deal. Besides, I'm not fond of the thought of having to eat through a straw. :):

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I've got a friend that got a knock off microtech scarab. He was so proud that he only paid $50. Less than a day later, his huge savings stuck halfway out. $50 in the trash.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Brad, thanks for the info and the reminder!

And now I have a compulsion to own a Sebenza again, so thanks a lot, you bastiches!

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Thanks for helping to educate us. :yesway:

You described the warranty cards as something to watch for.

Are there any specific attributes/features a consumer should look for when considering a knife purchase? Might you have any pictures of known fakes that showcase the subtle differences?

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Thanks for helping to educate us. :yesway:

You described the warranty cards as something to watch for.

Are there any specific attributes/features a consumer should look for when considering a knife purchase? Might you have any pictures of known fakes that showcase the subtle differences?

When I get back home (currently on the road @ the Lafayette show), I'll go into a little more detail on what to look for.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Agree, know whom you're dealing with. I never buy such gear without having the ability to return it if turns out to be something less than advertised and claimed.

Cheating and fraud should never be tolerated.

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    I ran into the fake OTF guy at the greenfield show. He claimed they were usa made internals with upgraded springs. Funny part was, he could say what they were upgraded from! He just knew they were "upgraded". The price and the fact the guy dressed like a tool from jersey shore sent me running away.

Top Bottom