• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier8

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    This is an Old Hickory 10" kitchen knife. A friend has a set of Old Hickory but the set does not include this one. When I went online and saw it, I just had to order it. Cost 18.81 on Amazon which included shipping. I put the dollar bill to show size. I plan on making a sheath for it myself.

photo44_zpsyv934ew1_1.jpg

Hoosier8

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Gun owners should love Old Hickory knives since you have to keep them cleaned and oiled! The biggest complaint from buyers is that they put them in the dish washer and they rust.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Gun owners should love Old Hickory knives since you have to keep them cleaned and oiled! The biggest complaint from buyers is that they put them in the dish washer and they rust.

Carbon steel blades are not to bad if you do a forced patina using white vinager. It will give the blade that nice gray look that I love in carbon blades but also the gray color does something to the metal "above my knowledge" that prevents rust.

Hoosier8

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Carbon steel blades are not to bad if you do a forced patina using white vinager. It will give the blade that nice gray look that I love in carbon blades but also the gray color does something to the metal "above my knowledge" that prevents rust.

Interesting. Found this:

So what is patina? It is actually a form of surface corrosion that beneficially protects the metal from the deeper and destructive rust. You can tell the difference because rust will be orange to brown and usually rough to the touch, while a patina is generally greyish-black and smoother.
    The primary way to add patina to your knife is to apply some kind of mild acid like vinegar or citrus to it. You can also expose the blade to potatoes for a blue-black color.
    The easiest way to get a patina is to just put your knife in a shallow pan and cover it with white vinegar for an hour or more. More time will result in a deeper patina with darker colors. Afterwards, wash the knife perfectly clean and dry it thoroughly. It will now be much more resistant to rust – still not rust-proof, so keep taking good general care of it.
    Patina can be worn off through heavy use, so you may need to repatinate your knife occasionally.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Interesting. Found this:

So what is patina? It is actually a form of surface corrosion that beneficially protects the metal from the deeper and destructive rust. You can tell the difference because rust will be orange to brown and usually rough to the touch, while a patina is generally greyish-black and smoother.
    The primary way to add patina to your knife is to apply some kind of mild acid like vinegar or citrus to it. You can also expose the blade to potatoes for a blue-black color.
    The easiest way to get a patina is to just put your knife in a shallow pan and cover it with white vinegar for an hour or more. More time will result in a deeper patina with darker colors. Afterwards, wash the knife perfectly clean and dry it thoroughly. It will now be much more resistant to rust – still not rust-proof, so keep taking good general care of it.
    Patina can be worn off through heavy use, so you may need to repatinate your knife occasionally.

I knew I wasn't crazy! Funny thing I actually used avocado the first time I did it......not as even a finish as vinager but still got the job done. I have an old V-carbon Cold Steel filets knife that I put an antler handle on stripped the finish and pit a nice patina on it.....looks 60 years old now and cleans fish like a champ.

Last edited:

Hoosier8

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I knew I wasn't crazy! Funny thin I actually used avocado the first time I did it......not as even a finish as vinager but still got the jib done. I have an old V-carbon Cold Steel filets knife that I put an antler handle on stripped the finish and pit a nice patina on it.....looks 60 years old now and cleans fish like a champ.

Read where someone used onions too. Patina slows rust but does not stop it. You still have to care for it.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I got an Old Hickory like that at a garage sale for a dollar. It's one of my favorite kitchen knives.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    You can put a patina on a high carbon blade with all kinds of stuff. My favorite is probably yellow mustard since it's thick and you can just paste it over the blade. Pretty easy to make a pattern to it too, such as stripes. It will even pick up the texture of a paper towel if you wrap it in one that's soaked in something acidic.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The patina is what they call bluing in the gun bidness.

It's Fe O (iron II oxide) and it will form over time whether you accelerate with acidic substances or not.

Rust is Fe2 O3 (iron III oxide). The presence of the FeO offers some protection from Fe2 O3 from forming, but you still need to take care of it.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I think the patina also "roughs up" the surface, minutely, and it helps more oil to stay on the steel.

I gave in to peer pressure and went to Amazon and got me one of those knives too.

Hoosier8

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I think the patina also "roughs up" the surface, minutely, and it helps more oil to stay on the steel.

I gave in to peer pressure and went to Amazon and got me one of those knives too.

A friend of mine's mother had a set of Old Hickory knives that I had never seen so I looked them up online and saw the big 10 inch (Aerosmith ?). Just had to have it. You will need to sharpen it better when you get it but it is a most awesome knife. LOL

Top Bottom