Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bobjones223 View Post
    I knew I wasn't crazy! Funny thin I actually used avocado the first time I did it......not as even a finish as vinager but still got the jib done. I have an old V-carbon Cold Steel filets knife that I put an antler handle on stripped the finish and pit a nice patina on it.....looks 60 years old now and cleans fish like a champ.
    Read where someone used onions too. Patina slows rust but does not stop it. You still have to care for it.

User Info Menu

I got an Old Hickory like that at a garage sale for a dollar. It's one of my favorite kitchen knives.
    Necessity is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

User Info Menu

You can put a patina on a high carbon blade with all kinds of stuff. My favorite is probably yellow mustard since it's thick and you can just paste it over the blade. Pretty easy to make a pattern to it too, such as stripes. It will even pick up the texture of a paper towel if you wrap it in one that's soaked in something acidic.

User Info Menu

The patina is what they call bluing in the gun bidness.

It's Fe O (iron II oxide) and it will form over time whether you accelerate with acidic substances or not.

Rust is Fe2 O3 (iron III oxide). The presence of the FeO offers some protection from Fe2 O3 from forming, but you still need to take care of it.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

I think the patina also "roughs up" the surface, minutely, and it helps more oil to stay on the steel.

I gave in to peer pressure and went to Amazon and got me one of those knives too.
    No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoxaJunk View Post
    I think the patina also "roughs up" the surface, minutely, and it helps more oil to stay on the steel.

I gave in to peer pressure and went to Amazon and got me one of those knives too.
    A friend of mine's mother had a set of Old Hickory knives that I had never seen so I looked them up online and saw the big 10 inch (Aerosmith ?). Just had to have it. You will need to sharpen it better when you get it but it is a most awesome knife. LOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2