• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Anyone have any experience with them? I was picking something else up and ended up putting it on layway until the end of the week. It seemed like a neat little knife, do they last pretty well or do they get loose or slow etc.? It was a little pricey, but what the heck ya know..

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    The Microtech UTX-70 is a very good quality OTF as long as you understand it's limitations. OTF knives are not intended for hard use and abuse, and will require a little more maintenance than traditional knife designs. The blade should not loosen up, or develop any more blade play than it currently has. If you start noticing more play, then it's time to send it to Microtech for repair, because you have worn out some of the internal parts. The blade should not slow down. If this occurs, or lock up problems develop during blade deployment or retraction, more than likely you have contamination (pocket lint, dirt, crud) inside the handle where all of the internal parts are located, or it just needs lubrication. To flush/clean the internals, you will need to flush the handle out with a good gun cleaner solution (you may have to repeat this several time to remove all of the contamination). After flushing out the handle, use compressed air to dry all of the internal parts inside the handle. After everything is dry, you will have to re-lube the internal parts. For re-lubing, use RemOil, and follow the instructions for lubing that are in your Microtech owner's manual.

OTF knives can be finicky, and each one has it's own personality. 99% of the problems (if nothing has broken internally) that people have with OTF is the amount of lubrication you knife requires to function. Some knives will run best on the dry side, while others will require lubrication on a regular bases (depending on use). You just have to figure out your knive's personality.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Thanks for all the info, cant wait to get it home and mess with it more. Probably wont use it for much more than cutting packages open or something, just thought it was pretty cool. Ill post pics and my better opinion after i pick it up this week.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    The only thing I don't like about mine is the pocket clip bends very easily. I love to carry it but stopped after the 2nd time the clip bent. The first time I met up with Brad to borrow his bit to take it off and fix it. The second time it went to the safe and hasn't been used since. I need to try and find out what size screws they are and put some normal head screws in it.

Top Bottom