• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    i have started to rationalize the effectiveness in deployment speed of a fixed blade vs a folder. Currently I carry a folder as my EDC but after some recent trainng, I have started to think perhaps a fixed option might be a better fit. keep in mind i know nothing about blades really.

To start a caliber debate, :) what length of blade is "enough"? Assume in answering that question, decent knowledge of where to stick it.
    What grade of steel/type of blade is a good compromise between edge retention and ease of sharpening?
    What grade of steel/type of blade offers a good compromise between self defense and slicing a sandwich or cheese? One of my folders has a tanto tip and I hated slicing cheese and sandwiches.
    Why have a serrated edge combo blade vs straight edge?

Feel free to answer any other question I might have not asked but should have.

As to the biggest question: cost....well I look at most purchases this way.....bell curve. I don't want to buy on the low end of the bell curve and sacrifice too much quality, but I also usually avoid the high end of the bell curve where collectors and general snobbery occurs. so, for those who took calculus, place me about where the second derivative goes concave up. :).

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    What will you mainly be using it for? Cutting tags off sweaters, opening boxes? Or self defense?

How do you plan to carry it? Vertical iwb?, horizontal owb, around your neck?

Intended application will dictate what type of suggestions you get.

Personally I like something right around a 3 in blade worn vertically on the belt. Drop point blade. No serrations.

Last edited:

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    If you plan on carrying a knife for self defense I have three words, training, training, and training. Nobody wins a knife fight, someone just ends up a little less bloody in most cases. Yes I carry a knife for last ditch self defense but before it comes out I will have gone through all the ammo for my main gun and all the ammo for my BUG, and I have lost my walking stick, if I haven't solved the problem by the the knife will come out along with much prayer and the invocation of God's name.

Biggest problem with a knife for self defense is it is a contact weapon, meaning you have to be close enough to touch someone to use it, and if you are close enough so is your attacker.

Having said all that I will add you get what you pay for so buy something that is decent but you obviously don't need a stag handled damascus blade knife for your purposes. Stick with a decent name brand and try to handle them before buying to find one that fits your hand well. 4 inches should be long enough and can conceal easily in a horizontal sheath or even in a vertical high ride sheath. Serrated tends to cut tough materials better and can open up really nasty cuts, worse I ever cut myself with a kitchen knife was with a serrated bread knife.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    .Yes I carry a knife for last ditch self defense but before it comes out I will have gone through all the ammo for my main gun and all the ammo for my BUG, and I have lost my walking stick, if I haven't solved the problem by the the knife will come out along with much prayer and the invocation of God's name.

Biggest problem with a knife for self defense is it is a contact weapon, meaning you have to be close enough to touch someone to use it, and if you are close enough so is your attacker..

I kinda take a slightly different approach to fixed blade defensive knives. Mostly I consider them a "Get The F*** Off Me" weapon. Where as the bad guy has grabbed me from behind or somehow we end up in a clinch and I can't access my pistol, the knife is the GTFOM option that can allow me to access my primary weapon. Typically I carry something with a 3-4" blade horizontal anti appendix where I can be drawn with either hand. I picked up a clip point Bradford Guardian 3 a few weeks ago along with the kydex sheath that is offered for it off of the Bradford website. Nice and staby while still being very utility capable. I'm very happy with it. Think Izula sized with a longer blade. Under $200 for the whole package in M390 stainless is a bargain I think.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Could always consider a folder with the "wave shaped feature" keeps the convenience of a folding knife but the blade deploys wicked fast straight out of your pocket.
    [video=youtube;vig1yKKhB90]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vig1yKKhB90[/video]

Personally I prefer the S30V/S35vn or ELMAX range of steels for EDC, they can be found in more moderately priced knives while still having good edge retention and not being hard to sharpen. My personal favorite blade shape is the Tanto but I also acknowledge it is not super practical for most people, the up-swept blade shape reminiscent of the CQC-8 from Emerson is probably the best EDC blade shape ever made. It cuts very very well since it has a fairly large "belly" on the knife. As far as serrations are concerned I personally have no use for serrations, I can sharpen a knife way sharped than factory serrations will ever be.

Helps to remember when fighting with a knife its better to slash than it is to stab, and odds are both parties are going to get cut pretty badly in the process regardless of training level.
    If you want a folder with the wave I suggest the Zero Tolerance 0630 Emerson collaboration its a kick ass knife for sure, and that is coming from someone who deals in the snobbish collectors realm lol. An ESEE 3 would fit the bill for a good EDC fixed blade as well. And conveniently both knives are carried by INGO advertisers/supporters Brads Knives and the Knife Lady.

And this is a phenomenal seminar given by Earnest Emerson on fighting, not quite as good as actually seeing it but still allot of good information. I know myself and fellow INGO member Vigilant really learned allot from Emerson's seminars.
    [video=youtube;5k8AJHvfY6g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k8AJHvfY6g[/video]

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    What will you mainly be using it for? Cutting tags off sweaters, opening boxes? Or self defense?

How do you plan to carry it? Vertical iwb?, horizontal owb, around your neck?

Intended application will dictate what type of suggestions you get.

Personally I like something right around a 3 in blade worn vertically on the belt. Drop point blade. No serrations.

Mainly for every day knife uses, opening a box, etc. If I use it every day for self defense I must be doing something wrong. I do want it to be self defense capable though.

I haven't really thought about where to carry so much, I have thought about neck or OWB but IWB could be interesting option to consider

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    The ESEE 3 in the Military and Police configuration and worn as a neck knife. Check out their warranty before you buy one from INGO's own, KNIFE LADY.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'd call myself an Emerson man, but I've mostly moved to a SOCP Dagger (or two ;).)

[video=youtube;3y-crXJ7DNA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y-crXJ7DNA[/video]

I've moved to fixed blades for use at the ranch also. I carry a Cubby Fatboy for general usage in a LH reverse carry configuration.

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    5in blade to kill from the front 7in blade to kill from the rear. I prefer a garrote though...

Every one of those options requires stealth/surprise/position/opportunity.

In the 70's we'd have said anyone using a folding blade was an amateur. Gerber MkI/MkII were my go to blades back in the day. Got a nice Tanto later on.

That being said...I have a drawer full of folding blades of different sizes and shapes...they're just so handy. And I really don't plan on sneaking up on any sentries during my next trip to Krogers. I'm with 451_D on using a blade as a (really, really, very) last option...I'd use it to try and stay out of contact while I egressed the area....

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    What is so great about an ESEE?

• Efficient, well conceived designs
    • 1095 high carbon steel with one of the best heat treatment protocols in the industry
    • Excellent warranty and customer service
    • Very reasonable price

Specifically the ESEE 3 is so great because of the above and:

• Classic drop point design in about the same size as the kind of knives that made Bob Loveless famous
    • Ground from thin stock (1/8 inch thick at the spine), which combined with a full flat grind and a little belly to the edge makes it an very good slicer
    • Very comfortable and flat grip design
    • Jimping in the right place on the spine and a generous finger choil for doing fine cutting

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I'm more of an Busse fan myself, INFI steel is one of the best, they are easy to sharpen, hold an edge longer than most, tough, semi stainless, a no questions asked warranty, and made in Ohio by a great group of people. You do pay more for them, but if you don't care for that piticular knife, sell it, you might even make a little money on it.

I rotate between a Son of Badger with 4.5" blade, SAR 5 with 5" blade, AMSMO with 3.5" blade, and if I'm feeling froggy I carry my HG55, it's a 5.5" blade that's a little harder to conceal for me. I carry mine horizontal weak side front, that gives me the most options for deployment. My fixed blades are for GTFOM, or last ditch.

I'll add, they are all darn fine sammich slicers, even if your sammich is made with a truck bed. :)

SOB and HG55 bottom two

SAR5

AMSMO

Top Bottom