• ...and so much more!
  • DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Anyone else carve spoons, or anything with knives?

When I have time, I like to sit by our fire pit and whittle some, spoons and butter knives have been my thing lately. My Father-In-Law gave me a Frost Mora hook knife, I can't believe I've never bothered buying one of these before, it's a great tool that makes spoons much easier.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Those are cool and usual, excellent photos.

I like the irony of using the knife to carve a . . . knife. Because you never know when you'll need . . . a knife.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Very nicely done, that's great work! Makes me want to try that, my wife loves using wooden spoons while cooking. Thanks!

Thank you! You should give it a try! My wife and I use these in the kitchen almost, if not daily. Sure beats plastic, or some Chinese junk metal utensils you find everywhere.

Hellhound1055

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I use to whittle and carve on stuff when I was out fishing with my father. I could never get the bowl part of the spoon done, but I was just using a normal pocket knife (no carving tools or knowledge).

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Dave - do you have a preferred wood to use? Do you char the end for aesthetics, or for practical reasons?

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I carve spoons occasionally but the activity is more about honing the skills to make the tools you may need when out and about than having a spoon. Very nice work, btw.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Beautiful work! I'm curious, like Rhino, what type of wood you prefer. I think I saw maple and walnut, but the spoon shape distorts the grain and makes it hard to tell for an amateur like me.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I use to whittle and carve on stuff when I was out fishing with my father. I could never get the bowl part of the spoon done, but I was just using a normal pocket knife (no carving tools or knowledge).
    You really should try a hook knife, it makes it so easy.
    Dave - do you have a preferred wood to use? Do you char the end for aesthetics, or for practical reasons?
    I have used mostly cherry, the curvy handled spoons are sassafras, some maple and sycamore. I prefer tight grained wood, and I try to always use green wood. The burnt ends are purely aesthetics.
    Great work as always. I've used and handled many of these. They are so cool.
    Thank you JD!
    I carve spoons occasionally but the activity is more about honing the skills to make the tools you may need when out and about than having a spoon. Very nice work, btw.
    Thanks John! Honing skills is what started it for me, but the joy of having kitchen tools that I made is a big bonus now.
    You have solid skills!
    Thanks!
    Beautiful work! I'm curious, like Rhino, what type of wood you prefer. I think I saw maple and walnut, but the spoon shape distorts the grain and makes it hard to tell for an amateur like me.
    I've found tight grained wood is best, if it's green, fresh cut, makes it much easier. There are some great green wood carvers out there, just google #greenwoodcarving or plug that into Instagram. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom