• KobeBeefKatana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2015
    Westfield

Where to begin!?

Well first off lets look at what makes and knife a "knife."

Knife: a cutting instrument consisting of a sharp blade fastened to a handle

The two knives you see above are handmade in the great state of Indiana (Hoosiers 1986)
    by a man whom I consider to be one of the finest individuals I have ever met......."Woobie" (slight resemblance to Gene Hackman)

I was actually turned on to INGO by this fellow member whom I have personally know for a number of years, so I thought I would return the favor by reviewing a blade he made for me!!! (I'm stern, stern but fair) so.....

The Metal : 1095 HC for the blade, which is accented very well by the brass scale liners and 3/16 korby pins

The Wood : the scales hail from the finest maple that has ever been fell in Henry Co. (Wilbur Wright R.I.P.)

The Grind : chose to go with the Chisel grind w/ back bevel (south paw, forthose of us who have our own holiday!!)

Testing Phase

So NS there I was...in the kitchen (where I spend most of my time) making good use of the food prep grind. Watching the knife actually FALL through a green tomato with minimal effort. Then onto the baked Italian sausage where it sliced effortlessly through meat, plate, finish on top of the table (jk...maybe alittle.) I was very impressed by the way the knife balanced in my hand and the chisel grind worked beautifully.

"Tag Team Back Again"

When life gives you lemons...woodchuck. Both of those knives pictured above were used to clean this pesky critter and added a nice blood patina to my blade if I may say so myself.

The Verdict

I "kobebeefkatana" find the defendant "Woobie" guilty of crafting a knife that was meant to be used (and occasionally shown off) I believe this knife to be made very well and it will get much use over the years to come. Don't be afraid to contact him, the price wasn't bad either.

< FIN>

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I was too tired to post much about this last night, but there are a couple of interesting little tidbits about this knife that I thought I would share.

The wood in the scales came from a very old maple tree 1/2 mile from my childhood home. It sat in the front of a lot of an old bank barn. For years young men from around Randolph County would gather to play basketball inside that barn (probably skipping out on chores in the process). But the years were unkind to that old barn, and 10 years or so ago, the farmer finally tore it down, but that old maple still stood. Finally about two years ago the power company had the tree cut down. I asked the farmer if I could haul it off for firewood, not realizing quite how big it was. A 24" bar barely reached halfway through the trunk of that old tree. I split some of it, but walking by the pile one day, I saw the wood had a unique ripple in its fibers. I quickly sanded up a small piece and applied a little finish. So when OP asked me about making a knife, I knew that was where the scales would come from.

That left handed chisel grind caused some warpage in heat treat, and I had a lot of time flattening all of it out. 1095 is an oil hardening steel, and oil quenches tend to be fairly violent. Having an asymmetrical grind opens up the possibility of some problems in those conditions. It turned out at 60.5 HRC, which is a little much for 1095, but I haven't seen issues with chipping, and it adds some wear resistance, which is not 1095's strong suit.

All in all it was a fun process, and it turned out pretty well.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    You do some good work, sir!

You're too kind, but it's encouraging hearing that from you. I have to say that left handed chisel grind is tricky to use for a right hander, but when you find the right angle, it will really slice. The owner naturally has a better time with it than I do.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    We need a review of the Scandi knife too!

Well, lol, that one is mine. So you might not get an unbiased opinion. I posted some stuff in the knife pic thread about it, if you recall. I can say this about it: I am sold on the convex microbevel. 1095 has fairly poor edge retention, and needs constant touch ups, even at 61 HRC as that knife is. It will last a lot longer carving, chopping or cutting wood than flesh, however. Carving a roast or skinning that groundhog it dulls quickly. But less than two minutes with 2000 grit wet or dry paper on a backer with some give, then a couple of passes over a loaded strop and it is scary sharp again. I haven't been real abusive with it, but it has given excellent results at whatever It balances about 1/2" from the front of the handle, which gives it a nimble feel that I personally like. I use it to adjust the mortise for strike plates on doors with no problem, but it will cut feather sticks in hardwood or baton on the other end of the spectrum. I like the tip geometry for skinning, too. The handle is very comfortable. Brad dinged me for making it too short, but I tend to like smaller grips vs. larger on tools. The point was well taken, though. I like the hidden tang much more than full tang, as you have a lot more room for creativity in shaping. I'll definitely make more of these, as I think they will be something that people enjoy for a variety of uses.

Almost forgot: KobeBeefKatana made me a killer sheath for it. I'll have to get you guys pics of that. It was part of the deal on his knife. It's not what most people will want, but I really dig it.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Woobie, I'll be honest with you. The maple tree story strikes a tone, especially that you included the basketball games. I grew up in rural Indiana too and I get it. Some places are almost holy due to the sheer volume of effort, sweat and laughter. A fine story to go with a fine knife. Good job keeping a part of the past.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Thank you, I was hoping that story would have some meaning for an INGOer or two. I think a lot of our identity is in where we come from, and it's good to keep that alive. I've run into one or two old timers who played ball in that barn, and it's good to share a connection to their past. Incidentally, about 75 yards north of that tree runs White River, barely more than a creek, less than 10 miles from its source. You wouldn't think it's the same river that runs through Indy.

There had to be some meaning attached to this knife I was making for a good friend.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Well, lol, that one is mine. So you might not get an unbiased opinion. I posted some stuff in the knife pic thread about it, if you recall. I can say this about it: I am sold on the convex microbevel. 1095 has fairly poor edge retention, and needs constant touch ups, even at 61 HRC as that knife is. It will last a lot longer carving, chopping or cutting wood than flesh, however. Carving a roast or skinning that groundhog it dulls quickly. But less than two minutes with 2000 grit wet or dry paper on a backer with some give, then a couple of passes over a loaded strop and it is scary sharp again. I haven't been real abusive with it, but it has given excellent results at whatever It balances about 1/2" from the front of the handle, which gives it a nimble feel that I personally like. I use it to adjust the mortise for strike plates on doors with no problem, but it will cut feather sticks in hardwood or baton on the other end of the spectrum. I like the tip geometry for skinning, too. The handle is very comfortable. Brad dinged me for making it too short, but I tend to like smaller grips vs. larger on tools. The point was well taken, though. I like the hidden tang much more than full tang, as you have a lot more room for creativity in shaping. I'll definitely make more of these, as I think they will be something that people enjoy for a variety of uses.

Almost forgot: KobeBeefKatana made me a killer sheath for it. I'll have to get you guys pics of that. It was part of the deal on his knife. It's not what most people will want, but I really dig it.

I'm glad it performs well for you.

People who don't cut meat frequently sometimes do not know how abrasive it is to a cutting edge. Few things will dull a knife faster than meat, which is why chefs and servers who carve meat are constantly steeling their blade.

We definitely need to see the sheath!

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    82   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    [h=2]Nice blade. So Woobie makes these? What did it run you? I only ask because that's what everyone is thinking. Besides, you said "Quality tools at affordable prices" but didn't specify what "affordable" was.[/h]

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Nice blade. So Woobie makes these? What did it run you? I only ask because that's what everyone is thinking. Besides, you said "Quality tools at affordable prices" but didn't specify what "affordable" was.

He and I have an understanding, you might say. He makes me leather when I want it, and I make him knives when he wants them. Last night he came over with 3 knives: the one in the picture,a BHK and a Jeff White. I sharpened two and got the BHK halfway done before he had to leave. My reward was a sugar cream pie directly from the Mrs. Wicks factory that afternoon. :drool:

I haven't set prices yet because I'm still doing some testing. Also, I'm still waiting to get the stuff for my maker's mark.

When I get things finalized around the middle of summer, I'll report back. At this point, a 4" blade in 1095 with a full or hidden tang with no bolsters is probably going to be in the $70 range. But I need to get kobebeefkatana to give me some solid prices on sheaths so I can make those available with the knife without adding a ton of cost. There are going to be other steels available as well.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    He and I have an understanding, you might say. He makes me leather when I want it, and I make him knives when he wants them. Last night he came over with 3 knives: the one in the picture,a BHK and a Jeff White. I sharpened two and got the BHK halfway done before he had to leave. My reward was a sugar cream pie directly from the Mrs. Wicks factory that afternoon. :drool:

I haven't set prices yet because I'm still doing some testing. Also, I'm still waiting to get the stuff for my maker's mark.

When I get things finalized around the middle of summer, I'll report back. At this point, a 4" blade in 1095 with a full or hidden tang with no bolsters is probably going to be in the $70 range. But I need to get kobebeefkatana to give me some solid prices on sheaths so I can make those available with the knife without adding a ton of cost. There are going to be other steels available as well.

Hopefully my moratorium will be ended by the time you're ready to go!

Top Bottom