• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My brother's wife carries a Smith & Wesson First Response/Rescue knife that I gave her a few Christmases ago.

I am advised that she would like to have a back up just in case she loses that one.

Her big concern is breaking windows and cutting seatbelts to get to kiddos.

I am hitting a couple of large knife stores on Black Friday. Anything anyone can recommend? Suggestions welcome!

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Do you want top quality....USA made, life time warranty? Look at the Benchmade Triage models. Within the Triage family you will have dozens of options for handle color, blade style, manual opening, automatic...etc. All of the Triage models will have a safety hook (seat belt cutter) and glass breaker.

It's my number one selling rescue knife for first responders. :twocents:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Why a knife?

The best most compact option to cut seatbelts and break glass would be a ResQme.

resqme-yellow-keys.jpg

Unless you need the blade for something other than cutting seatbelts.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Do you want top quality....USA made, life time warranty? Look at the Benchmade Triage models. Within the Triage family you will have dozens of options for handle color, blade style, manual opening, automatic...etc. All of the Triage models will have a safety hook (seat belt cutter) and glass breaker.

It's my number one selling rescue knife for first responders. :twocents:

I know I am not the OP but...

Thanks for recommending that knife, I had never heard of it. Had my mind made up I was going to buy a XM-18 but I think this is a game changer, half the money as well.

Brad will you send me a pm on a price for a 9170SBK?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have a yellow ResQme hanging strategically in my cars and one in the motorcycle box for accidents ran on to. VUPDblue recommended the product a few years back.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Not working in what way? the spring giving out or something? i bought 2 when i got mine one to play err i mean test and one to put on my keys. I busted quite a few windows on derby cars and cut belts out of the same. If they are failing i may switch to something else.

sorry for the thread jack

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Not working in what way? the spring giving out or something? i bought 2 when i got mine one to play err i mean test and one to put on my keys. I busted quite a few windows on derby cars and cut belts out of the same. If they are failing i may switch to something else.

sorry for the thread jack

Check out Amazon and other reviews, seems they are about 50% hit or miss.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thanks for the heads up on the resQme supposed problems.
    I just tested my resQme's, 10 times each. They all hit hard and left indentations in wood.

Maybe the competition is planting some bad reviews on Amazon?
    Still showing 4 1/2 stars from over 2300 reviews. :dunno:

One way or another, it's a good idea to frequently test all of your lifesaving gear.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    I have one of these on a 6" lanyard and Velcro-ed to the console of each of the family vehicles at my right knee.

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Rescue-Swiss-Knife-Pouch/dp/B01ARJY4FK

Worth every penny. The belt cutter is a single swipe affair and the windshield saw looks like a gimmick but does rip slots in laminated glass. Wish I had pic's of the old baby seat we practiced on. :baby:

Better video at the OEM site.
    https://www.victorinox.com/us/en/Pr...s/Large-Pocket-Knives/RescueTool/p/0.8623.MWN

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Thanks for the heads up on the resQme supposed problems.
    I just tested my resQme's, 10 times each. They all hit hard and left indentations in wood.

Maybe the competition is planting some bad reviews on Amazon?
    Still showing 4 1/2 stars from over 2300 reviews. :dunno:

One way or another, it's a good idea to frequently test all of your lifesaving gear.

I think they make some cheap Chinese made copy of it, that might be where the bad rep comes from.
    The real ones are US made.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    State Troopers Receive New Rescue Tool

...The Indiana State Police recently received a lifesaving tool that will be given to every trooper working the road thanks to a generous donation from one of their own. The resqme tool was one way for me to give back to the people of Indiana and hopefully save a life, commented Master Trooper Detective Robert May. The resqme tool is designed to brake car windows and cut seatbelts.

May, who was on the state police dive team for 21 years, said “I found it was the best way to break a car window above and below the water.” May used his own funds to purchase 700 resqme tools for troopers patrolling Indiana roads. The resqme tool can be used in any event where a window needs to be broken...

resqme_crop.jpg

Found this other resqme thread when I was searching for this one. Might be worth a look;

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories-gear/250831-resqme-tool-video.html

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    My victorinox multitool has a rescue blade on it. No fancy glass breaker, but it will break glass. My med ruck has the Smith and Wesson knife on it.

Top Bottom