• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I'm not sure if this is normal, but I thought I'd share my recent experience.

I ordered a BM Adamas a few weeks ago. I called the place I ordered from and asked them to check over the knife and make sure the blade was centered and there was no blade play when locked open.

Received the knife yesterday, and the blade is so off center it's dragging the scale, and it's got more blade play than any knife I've ever owned.

Called the place I ordered from, and they verified they sent me the best quality one they had. Seriously.....this is the BEST one in their stock, and it's absolute garbage. It's on it's way back for a refund.

Is BM's QC just a complete joke at this point? Ridiculous for a $195 knife, and BM is strictly enforcing that MAP pricing as well.

Looks like I'm done with BenchMade.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Call BM and see if they will make it right. My BM knives are very nice, and don't have any of the problems you expressed.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've got a few a Benchmades, including an Adamas. Never had any issues with any of them. And though I've never had an occasion to use their customer service for anything, everything I've ever read about them tells me they take good care of their customers. I would give them a call.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I have no want to send a brand new knife in for them to fix it right off the bat. Especially one that cost this much. If they can't get it right the first time, I'm not messing with it. A $30 Kershaw has better fit/finish than this thing.

Benchmade will make it right.

Definitely not a fake. And this is the same thing I've been reading on BladeForums. BM QC sounds like it's going down the crapper while their MAP prices keep going up.

Dang...Seems odd. Any chance it's a fake?

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    They will definitely make it right. Their customer service is very easy to deal with. As far as the vendor, it sounds like they were super lazy and never even checked the knife for you. Every manufacturer of anything is going to have issues. I certainly wouldn't write one off over a single experience that seems to have been made worse by the vendor. Just out of curiosity, did you call or message Brad to see what he had? I have dealt with him on 2 or 3 occasions for relatively small purchases and he went well above and beyond both times answering newbie questions and meeting me halfway to get me my knives.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Instead of bad mouthing Benchmade, you should be more upset with whoever you bought the knife from. Obviously they did not check it out before shipping, and to state "it's the best they had" is total bs and terrible customer service. I have handled hundreds if not thousands of Benchmade knives, and yes there will be a lemon once in awhile, but no more than any other company. :twocents:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Instead of bad mouthing Benchmade, you should be more upset with whoever you bought the knife from. Obviously they did not check it out before shipping, and to state "it's the best they had" is total bs and terrible customer service. I have handled hundreds if not thousands of Benchmade knives, and yes there will be a lemon once in awhile, but no more than any other company. :twocents:
    Seriously? A premium knife company sends out a visibly defective product and you want the customer to blame the distributor? You have the weirdest set of business ethics of any person I have ever run across.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Seriously? A premium knife company sends out a visibly defective product and you want the customer to blame the distributor? You have the weirdest set of business ethics of any person I have ever run across.

Why wouldn't you hold the distributor responsible? Ultimately, I agree, this is on Benchmade. But the vendor ought to look at their product if they are asked. I know Brad would have.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.

First, every knife manufacturer will produce a lemon once in awhile. My point was simply based on the fact that the OP requested the seller to inspect the knife for proper blade centering before shipping. Obviously that did not happen. Then for the seller to say it was the best they had was a lame excuse for not doing what the OP requested.....it's that simple and I'm sorry you can't understand basic customer service.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County

Not how I see it. Brad (never met him or done business with him) admitted some lemons get out there. What he called out the distributor on was the obvious lie about checking the knife out before sending it and their reply of that is the best there is.

Customer service is important on all levels.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    First, every knife manufacturer will produce a lemon once in awhile. My point was simply based on the fact that the OP requested the seller to inspect the knife for proper blade centering before shipping. Obviously that did not happen. Then for the seller to say it was the best they had was a lame excuse for not doing what the OP requested.....it's that simple and I'm sorry you can't understand basic customer service.

Oh, I understand customer service just fine. I never said the OP shouldn't be upset with his distributor. If they aren't being straight, he absolutely should. What I take issue with is the first line of your original post.

Instead of bad mouthing Benchmade, you should be more upset with whoever you bought the knife from.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you make money off selling benchmade products. You also lose market share when other people sell such products instead of you.

Strangely, the first line of your post is chastising the OP for criticizing the company you make money off of and suggesting that he should be more critical of the competitor you lose market share to.

Nevermind that benchmade encourages poor customer service with its map pricing. I would think that a distributor who prides themselves on customer service, like yourself, would want to be rewarded for it.

Last edited:

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I am sorry you had this bad experience but I would hold both accountable. But on BM defense they would make it right for you but that point is mute since you do not want to send it in to BM for a new one with no issues. Hey crap happens sometimes and someone drops the ball.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    That's really unfortunate to hear. I have a couple Benchmade knives and all have been excellent with a solid lock up, blades centered, and absolutely no play in the blade. I have a hard time looking at other brands when looking for a new blade.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm upset with the seller as well. Pretty irritated they shipped the knife when I clearly said to cancel the order if they couldn't find a good example that met the criteria I listed. But their CS agreed to pay shipping and I'm out $0, so it's no harm to me other than I probably won't do business there again.

As far as Benchmade, good to hear they're still turning out some quality pieces. I had high expectations, but unfortunately it just didn't work out this time.

NuthinDoin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2017
    Central Indiana
    I've been carrying Benchmade AFCK knives (one in particular, although I own 3) since 1980. It is a real surprize to hear that someone has had this much trouble with a new Benchmade anything....

I have never had a failure of any type with my daily carry knife of 37 years, (or the other 2 I own), and have rarely needed to do any sharpening other than a stropping on a leather backed wheel to bring it back to razor's edge.

Don't settle for less than perfection with Benchmade....PERIOD.

p.s. I do know from experience of 10~12 years ago, that their customer service is second to none...at least back then.

I hope the best for you in getting satisfaction with your knife.

Top Bottom