• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    Since I've started sharpening with my new system, I've been receiving outstanding results. My technique has allowed me to reprofiled a knife and bring it to a mirror polish, scary, hair-splitting edge in less than 20 minutes.

While I'm gaining loads of confidence, I'd still like more practice. I'd like to offer sharpening services for this purposes. If you want/need any of your blades touched up or worked on, let me know!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Since I've started sharpening with my new system, I've been receiving outstanding results. My technique has allowed me to reprofiled a knife and bring it to a mirror polish, scary, hair-splitting edge in less than 20 minutes.

While I'm gaining loads of confidence, I'd still like more practice. I'd like to offer sharpening services for this purposes. If you want/need any of your blades touched up or worked on, let me know!

Not to dissuade you... But I know that *I* don't want someone to practice on MY knives.

have you given any thought to raiding the Goodwill stores and buying all the cheap crappy kitchen knives they have and practicing on them to hone (ahem...) your craft before soliciting of others?

cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    Haha I feel you. I say practice, but honestly to god, before I got my WE, I would have paid someone for the results I'm getting now. I have a technique down. I just want to play with different steels and blade shapes.

Not to dissuade you... But I know that *I* don't want someone to practice on MY knives.

have you given any thought to raiding the Goodwill stores and buying all the cheap crappy kitchen knives they have and practicing on them to hone (ahem...) your craft before soliciting of others?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

Pics of what you've done so far?

I have a couple nice-ish kitchen knives that someone in my household can't seem to grasp need to be washed, dried and put away immediately after use. Provided you're past the point of rounding off the tips, you're welcome to see what you can do for them.

Let me know, I work in whitestown.

aturk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm right on the edge of Zionsville and Whitestown and have several "cheaper" knives (under $100) that need honed up. I also have a few of my EDC knives that need a little work - those are a bit more expensive.

Also have a few kitchen knives that could use freshened up.

Let me know - I could get them organized and dropped off nearly anytime.

OmarR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    Westfield
    Are you stilling loving the Wicked Edge?

I am thinking of getting it myself but I would love to check out your skills for tips & tricks.

I am in Westfield, BTW!

cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    Shiny!

Have you done any cutting/slicing tests after you finish (beyond shaving or slicing paper)?
    What I’ve done with my blades is just common edc stuff. Cutting cardboard, cordage, opening amazon packages. I’ve done a lot of kitchen knives that have performed really well for food prep and slicing.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    What I’ve done with my blades is just common edc stuff. Cutting cardboard, cordage, opening amazon packages. I’ve done a lot of kitchen knives that have performed really well for food prep and slicing.

That's excellent news! Sounds like you're doing a good job.

The reason I ask is because it's not uncommon for people to essentially have a goal of that nice looking mirror polish on their bevels, but then also not have an edge that will do any significant cutting.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    That's excellent news! Sounds like you're doing a good job.

The reason I ask is because it's not uncommon for people to essentially have a goal of that nice looking mirror polish on their bevels, but then also not have an edge that will do any significant cutting.

That is why mirror edged blades need a secondary (micro) bevel for cutting.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That is why mirror edge blades need a secondary (micro) bevel for cutting.

Correct! In fact, I'd say that almost all edges would benefit from a microbevel (I'm a Juranich true believer!), but something that is polished like that needs it unless it's a wood working tool, a chopping (only) tool, or a razor). An exception would be some Scandis and some really well done convex edges. Putting a microbevel on those will get you mocked and ridiculed by the bushcrafting cool kids.

Last edited:

cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    Correct! In fact, I'd say that almost all edges would benefit from a microbevel (I'm a Juranish true believer!), but something that is polished like that needs it unless it's a wood working tool, a chopping (only) tool, or a razor). An exception would be some Scandis and some really well done convex edges. Putting a microbevel on those will get you mocked and ridiculed by the bushcrafting cool kids.
    When someone asks me for a mirror finish i usually put micro bevel on it at around 1000 grit. My knives are usually outfitted with 18dps primary with a 22dps micro. Suits me well.

Top Bottom