• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Rigger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2017
    Indianapolis
    He made it from MDF. I use the same setup, but I didn't try the mdf wheel. My grinder already had like a cloth buffing wheel on one side and I just use it. I bought a stick of the grinding compound that he mentions and load it up on the buffing wheel.
    what is the material he made the wheel out of ?

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I would never do this with a quality knife. Too easy to get an uneven edge and lose a flat surface. For a crappy old knife, fine.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    At The Murph is correct. Fortunately for me, I wasn't always a fan of quality knives, and have several good old cappy Chinese and Pakistani beaters.
    A cloth polishing wheel is awesome for this. A light touch works well.

1980Harley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2014
    West Virginia
    I have a similar setup to the video. It does a very good job as long as you can maintain the same angle against the mdf wheel. I made an adjustable wooden jig to lay the blades on. Being circular, the wheel imparts a slight hollow ground edge to the blade which aids in its cutting ability.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I used a wheel like this 20 years ago.
    I was at a swap meet and saw a guy do a demo sharpening knives.
    He was using a wheel made from multiple layers of cardboard.
    I said "Huh I can make one of those" and I did. I used a small coffee can as a template.
    Drilled a hole in the middle and mounted it to a bench grinder.
    I added polishing compound and sharpened lots of knives with it.

As others have said this isn't a good idea on an expensive knife, but my EDC isn't an expensive knife.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    There used to be a guy at the gun shows that had set ups with 4 different wheels. I would take my nasty old work pocket knives and he would sharpen them for cheap, maybe $3.00. As knife lovers have already mentioned, this is not for knives where cosmetic detail features are to be maintained, after several buffer sharpenings, shapes begin to fade away.

I have some thick masonite. Mounting wafers to a shaft and spinning them against a belt sander, I am sure I can get something that resembles a wheel.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I have a bench grinder set up with a set of wheels similar to these...

https://www.amazon.com/Wheels-Sharp...keywords=paper+wheels+sharpening+system&psc=1

I use it for every knife I own. Only the dullest, beat up, run through the dishwasher, kitchen knives really need the wheel with grit. I don't think there's a faster way to go from dull to holy s**t sharp. But you need to be good at freehanding the proper angle.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    There used to be a guy at the gun shows that had set ups with 4 different wheels. I would take my nasty old work pocket knives and he would sharpen them for cheap, maybe $3.00. As knife lovers have already mentioned, this is not for knives where cosmetic detail features are to be maintained, after several buffer sharpenings, shapes begin to fade away.

I have some thick masonite. Mounting wafers to a shaft and spinning them against a belt sander, I am sure I can get something that resembles a wheel.

I remember that old couple. Bought an old.Kamp King from them for 5.00, and they put an edge on it for free. Like a razor, it was. I loved that knife.

that's the same idiot who polished the finish off the handle of my knife, and totally screwed up the angle on one side of my dads knife! totally ruined a crkt hissatu!

Top Bottom