• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Leatherman is lifetime warranty, nothing offered is as strong as I would like, there are some of us that would foot the bill for a true top of the line multi-tool, just look at the knife market, not much of a stretch to see 1/3 of the higher end knife market would throw down for a high end multi-tool as well.

To answer your question I use a Leatherman Tti.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Leatherman is lifetime warranty, nothing offered is as strong as I would like, there are some of us that would foot the bill for a true top of the line multi-tool, just look at the knife market, not much of a stretch to see 1/3 of the higher end knife market would throw down for a high end multi-tool as well.

To answer your question I use a Leatherman Tti.
    Mainly I use the heck out of the pliers and wire cutters for fixing fence. Most times times after some use the plier's get lose and they won't cut a wet noodle. I would also use a small knife for opening feed bags.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    There's a big thread on this in the cutting-edge sub forum.
    I use a leatherman every day at work, also have a Victoronix , Swiss tool, that I like a lot

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    I have a Schrade. I Don't remember what model though. I have had it for years and its the only one I haven't broke . The pliers are better than any Leatherman I have seen.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Mainly I use the heck out of the pliers and wire cutters for fixing fence. Most times times after some use the plier's get lose and they won't cut a wet noodle. I would also use a small knife for opening feed bags.

I work on a cattle ranch, I fix LOTS of barbed wire fence, you will destroy a Leatherman in a week's time if you use it for fence repair, you have to use a hammer and fence pliers, there is no getting around it.

For cutting feed/mineral bags and cutting net wrap we all use knifes with throw away razor blade inserts as in the winter I will burn up a blade in a days time.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I work on a cattle ranch, I fix LOTS of barbed wire fence, you will destroy a Leatherman in a week's time if you use it for fence repair, you have to use a hammer and fence pliers, there is no getting around it.

For cutting feed/mineral bags and cutting net wrap we all use knifes with throw away razor blade inserts as in the winter I will burn up a blade in a days time.

^^^^^^^^
    This right here
    Emphasis mine.
    A Leatherman or other multi-tool is a jack of all trades, master of none, and not very durable compared to dedicated tools.
    Get yourself a heavy duty set of fence pliers and an ordinary hammer for fencing and you won't look back.
    The razor knife suggestion is likewise good, and you can get them with either the longer handle with the blade that slides out of the end or get the folding versions, one of which I have that even has storage for about five spare blades in the handle.

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    I'm a big fan of Gerber multipliers myself. I have used the bypass style cutter portion to trim 12 gauge stainless sheet without issue. The grip allows better leverage than most butterfly-open tools, and the construction of the pliers portion is more rugged as well. Add in a Gerber blade and fiskar scissors along with a lock on all the tools. Winning combination in my book, and reasonably priced around $60

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Routine fence repair is too heavy of a use for any pocket multi tool. A pinch type wire cutter wears a lot fasrer tha a shear type cutter on regular fence pliars. Plus, you loose the hammer function with a pocket tool.

For the price of a multi tool, you can get two pairs of these to keep in the truck and the tractor.
    Cooper® Fence Solid Joint Pliers (193610CVSMN)

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Routine fence repair is too heavy of a use for any pocket multi tool. PLus, you loose the hammer function with a pocket tool.

For the price of a multi tool, you can get two pairs of these to keep in the truck and the tractor.
    Cooper® Fence Solid Joint Pliers (193610CVSMN)

I would rather spend the money and get a pair of Moore Maker fence pliers, why not get the best...

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county

+1 on this, I carry a gerber diesel as a back up and all multi tools I have seen are not designed to do heavy work like were talking about... you can use one but it wont hold up to the abuse... I have high tensile and field fence and in my bucket of fence tools are vice grips and regular fencing tools, dont remember what brand but they have blue handles.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Another vote for "fuhgettaboutit!" Carry and use your REAL tools around the farm. Leave your leatherman for the unexpected fixes as you are out and about in the world. You will be much happier that way.

I do the same, and trash my wire cutters pretty quickly. And I'm only cutting 22/8 Cat5 cable typically, so not very tough stuff.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I like the disposable razor idea. Of all the "nice" knives I've owned I never used them for anything "hard use." They mostly rode around in my pocket and opened packages or trimmed strings. No use carrying a $300 knife for that kind of stuff. I spent $6 on a knife which uses utility razors and carry it quite a bit.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I grew up on a 117 acre farm (with another 384 acres) and this is kinda what I carried when I had to walk the fence lines.

77e0b8af-eb98-4472-bebf-54064b969e95_1000.jpg

For opening gunny sacks I used an old Barlow or hook bill.

I would think the wear and tear on a consumer grade multi tool wouldn't eve come close to a good fence tool and quality knife. They just aren't meant to do that type of work on a regular basis.

I do have an SOG Power Assist that I really like but it's more of a tool for the truck for when I need something different.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I grew up on a 117 acre farm (with another 384 acres) and this is kinda what I carried when I had to walk the fence lines.

77e0b8af-eb98-4472-bebf-54064b969e95_1000.jpg

For opening gunny sacks I used an old Barlow or hook bill.

I would think the wear and tear on a consumer grade multi tool wouldn't eve come close to a good fence tool and quality knife. They just aren't meant to do that type of work on a regular basis.

I do have an SOG Power Assist that I really like but it's more of a tool for the truck for when I need something different.

That's the type that I use and has taken up permanent residence on the "hump" in my truck.

Top Bottom