Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Multi tool

Sharpshooter

Multi tool

Can a anyone recommend a multi tool that will stand up to farm use?

Leatherman is lifetime warranty, nothing offered is as strong as I would like, there are some of us that would foot the bill for a true top of the line multi-tool, just look at the knife market, not much of a stretch to see 1/3 of the higher end knife market would throw down for a high end multi-tool as well.

To answer your question I use a Leatherman Tti.
    USA1

Leatherman Surge is a beast. The newer ones now have replaceable cutters.

forty-six and two ahead of me

LFFL

Sharpshooter
    Quote Originally Posted by SMiller View Post
    Leatherman is lifetime warranty, nothing offered is as strong as I would like, there are some of us that would foot the bill for a true top of the line multi-tool, just look at the knife market, not much of a stretch to see 1/3 of the higher end knife market would throw down for a high end multi-tool as well.

To answer your question I use a Leatherman Tti.
    Mainly I use the heck out of the pliers and wire cutters for fixing fence. Most times times after some use the plier's get lose and they won't cut a wet noodle. I would also use a small knife for opening feed bags.

There's a big thread on this in the cutting-edge sub forum.
    I use a leatherman every day at work, also have a Victoronix , Swiss tool, that I like a lot
    "Courage is Being Scared to Death, but Saddling up Anyway" - John Wayne

I have a Schrade. I Don't remember what model though. I have had it for years and its the only one I haven't broke . The pliers are better than any Leatherman I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by wcd View Post
    Mainly I use the heck out of the pliers and wire cutters for fixing fence. Most times times after some use the plier's get lose and they won't cut a wet noodle. I would also use a small knife for opening feed bags.
    I work on a cattle ranch, I fix LOTS of barbed wire fence, you will destroy a Leatherman in a week's time if you use it for fence repair, you have to use a hammer and fence pliers, there is no getting around it.

For cutting feed/mineral bags and cutting net wrap we all use knifes with throw away razor blade inserts as in the winter I will burn up a blade in a days time.
    USA1

Quote Originally Posted by SMiller View Post
    I work on a cattle ranch, I fix LOTS of barbed wire fence, you will destroy a Leatherman in a week's time if you use it for fence repair, you have to use a hammer and fence pliers, there is no getting around it.

For cutting feed/mineral bags and cutting net wrap we all use knifes with throw away razor blade inserts as in the winter I will burn up a blade in a days time.
    ^^^^^^^^
    This right here
    Emphasis mine.
    A Leatherman or other multi-tool is a jack of all trades, master of none, and not very durable compared to dedicated tools.
    Get yourself a heavy duty set of fence pliers and an ordinary hammer for fencing and you won't look back.
    The razor knife suggestion is likewise good, and you can get them with either the longer handle with the blade that slides out of the end or get the folding versions, one of which I have that even has storage for about five spare blades in the handle.

I'm a big fan of Gerber multipliers myself. I have used the bypass style cutter portion to trim 12 gauge stainless sheet without issue. The grip allows better leverage than most butterfly-open tools, and the construction of the pliers portion is more rugged as well. Add in a Gerber blade and fiskar scissors along with a lock on all the tools. Winning combination in my book, and reasonably priced around $60
    I wish you were a Pinata.

I have the SOG PowerAssist model and It has held up very well so far. It gets used almost everyday out in the plant.
    It had some of the best reviews when I was looking for a new multi tool. The gear multiplying grip is rather handy for grabbing stuff tight or cutting harder materials.

https://www.sogknives.com/type/multi...werassist.html

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast