• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Any knives even half worthwhile in the 10-20 dollar range. I need between 4 and 8 fixed blade knives that will in a bags in a potentially humid climate and see no service unless its against man-flesh and obviously when all other recourse of failed. I've seen enough accidental injuries to know it doesn't take a 300 dollar knife, and....I can't afford to supply thosr anyways. These are one of a myriad of components coming out of pocket for other people.

Any thoughts? I've perused Amazon and ebay, just looking for input. My other COA is S e a l P u p s, but that limits the quantity a bit more.

I should add they dont need to match, be new or pretty, and weight isn't a facotr. Size in only in the sense it should probably not.be a sword. Think Ka-Bar for the high side of size.

Last edited:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Any knives even half worthwhile in the 10-20 dollar range..

If my budget was that low I'd be looking at these.

[video=youtube_share;i6QLdMO7dvM]http://youtu.be/i6QLdMO7dvM[/video]

Not just any Ozark Trail knife, but this one in particular.

As for fixed blades, I don't know of anything even half worthwhile in that range.

Last edited:

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Mora carbon. I have some that have been in bags for a few years in my basement. I just coated them with frog lune before they went in. It's crap for firearms, but I like it for blades that may be used for food prep. Ive bought the low end carbon models between $6 to $10. Stainless steel versions are more expensive.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I have to agree with the peanut gallery on this one. I carry and use a Mora carbon for backpacking and it has never let me down. It sounds like (what moosehead said) a carbon covered and stored in oil or a stainless version would suit your needs.

What a Mora is:

-lightweight
    -hella sharp
    -easy to sharpen
    -strong enough to handle most tasks that we ask of it
    -cost effective

What a Mora is not:

-a dedicated fighting knife. Eeet weel cut and eeet weel keel, but it's not the blade I'm taking into combat.
    -a pry bar or splitting wedge. Moras are not full tang (except maybe the bushcraft?), so prying and batonning with them are not their strong suit. Both can be done, but very sparingly.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Cabela's had Mora on sale last week.

I picked up one of the HeavyDuty​ carbon steel ones for $15.00 plus tax.

Why? Because I could!

For the money they can't be beat and can be stashed everywhere.

Great idea on the Frog Lube.....I have been trying to find a use for it!!

themurseman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2012
    Greenfield
    I have to agree with the peanut gallery on this one. I carry and use a Mora carbon for backpacking and it has never let me down. It sounds like (what moosehead said) a carbon covered and stored in oil or a stainless version would suit your needs.

What a Mora is:

-lightweight
    -hella sharp
    -easy to sharpen
    -strong enough to handle most tasks that we ask of it
    -cost effective

What a Mora is not:

-a dedicated fighting knife. Eeet weel cut and eeet weel keel, but it's not the blade I'm taking into combat.
    -a pry bar or splitting wedge. Moras are not full tang (except maybe the bushcraft?), so prying and batonning with them are not their strong suit. Both can be done, but very sparingly.

Just an FYI, what would you take into combat?

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Any knives even half worthwhile in the 10-20 dollar range. I need between 4 and 8 fixed blade knives that will in a bags in a potentially humid climate and see no service unless its against man-flesh and obviously when all other recourse of failed.
    Think Ka-Bar for the high side of size.

So kind of an emergency back up stash of fighting knives. Mora knives are an amazing value, but don't seem to be the right genre for your requirements.

Go to Amazon. Search on "chef knife." Check box for "commercial grade." Check box for "full tang." Fill in boxes for "$0 to $20". Voila. Many choices. Chef's knife configuration has a sort of built-in quillion or cross guard and has a low-key, non-tactical-looking appearance. And you can prepare food with them! Steel and tempering won't be the finest, but hey, it's a long pointed, edged piece of steel for $20 or less.

Could search on butcher knife too, but the typical butcher knife configuration doesn't have a cross guard on it.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Just an FYI, what would you take into combat?

I'm not a HSLD ninja operator, but I'd prefer a blade of about 5", full tang, carbon enough to strike a fire steel, with micarta grips. I'm a cop, not a combat veteran so my choice would be something tough that I could survive with, which may include a last ditch fight.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Something to look at that I also totally forgot about, is the Schrade line. I think they make a few fixed blades in this general price range that might serve you well for what you're looking for.

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    I've been mercilessly abusing the $10 Ozark fixed blade knife from Walmart out in the yard for years. Put a fresh edge on it and it keeps on going . I dig holes for new flowers, cut vines down, just about anything you can think of. If I know that I will be treating the knife badly that day, I will grab that one.

Top Bottom