• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I had many a cheap switchblade before they were allowed but would like to find one for work now. Not looking to spend a bunch of money on a knife that may get lost throughout the day and have a couple of cheaper ones in mind that may work for my needs but just want to get an opinion on what may be the better deal before I buy.

Schrade SC 60 BS
    S&W - SW50BS. (Would rather do the 40bs)
    Broker Kalashnikov 74

They all seem to cost about the same but do want a safety for pocket carry and would really only be cutting boxes on limited basis.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Don't worry about a safety , I have been carrying a Microtech LUDT every day for about 6 months now. They are designed so the button is pushed into the handle before the blade will deploy.

Out of the knives you listed the Boker is the best of the bunch but that is not saying a whole lot. I agree with M67 on this one dollar for dollar the Kershaw Launch series is awesome (any of them they are all great). My personal favorite Out The Side (OTS) automatic is the above mentioned Microtech LUDT but they are about ~$200 or so.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I had many a cheap switchblade before they were allowed but would like to find one for work now. Not looking to spend a bunch of money on a knife that may get lost throughout the day and have a couple of cheaper ones in mind that may work for my needs but just want to get an opinion on what may be the better deal before I buy.

Schrade SC 60 BS
    S&W - SW50BS. (Would rather do the 40bs)
    Broker Kalashnikov 74

They all seem to cost about the same but do want a safety for pocket carry and would really only be cutting boxes on limited basis.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Keep in mind that the Schrade and Boker models are converted to automatics after they leave their respective factories, therefore they will not have a warranty unless you know who did the conversion, which is practically impossible to figure out.

The S&W is the only one that you have listed that has a safety. Note: Most people's fears with an auto is, they think if the blade opens while it's in their pocket that they will get cut, but that is usually not the case...think about it, the spine (non sharp side) of the blade is what is traveling outward during blade deployment. The problem occurs when the knife has opened up in your pocket and you don't realize that it is open, and you reach into your pocket to retrieve it....that is when the accident happens in most cases.

Like others have said in this thread, you might want to consider stepping up a bit in price to get a much better quality auto. Take a look at the Kershaw autos, they are the best bang for the buck in the auto world. They use high quality materials (6061-T6 aircraft grade aluminum handles & CPM 154 steel for the blade), USA made, and a life time warranty.

Let me know if I can help you out. I'm local to you, and I carry few of the Boker 74 models, and all of the Kershaw Launch models if you would like to check them out.

Last edited:

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    The Boker Kalash series doesn't have a safety but I wouldn't worry about it accidentally deploying its a stiff button, however because of the price the steel kinda sucks. I sold mine probably wont buy another, I do want to get my hands on a launch 5 though to see whats up.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    go with the Kershaw launch better steel, better quality better knife!, I paid around a hundred for my launch 1 (blue handle black stonewash blade), the blade's never opened on me unless I press the button!

that's one of my 3 edc blades, its one of my weekend knives the other being a sog tac, I paid about 130 for that one, but same quality as the Kershaw, m-f I carry a hk scorch, its a scale release auto knife (it can open either with my thumb, or a hidden switchblade release) the "corporate overlords" frown on anyone carrying a pocket knife at work (and god forbid they know im carrying a "deadly weapon") even tho they will issue me a folding box cutter?

I do own 2 or 3 of the boker ak47 knives, but they don't have the same quality as the Kershaw or sog, if you decide on any of the 3 you listed, remember all 3 company's use a "soft" steel in their blades, they sharpen very easy, and will pick up a razor edge in no time!.....but will go dull about as fast!

3 or 4 passes on a stone will sharpen it from butter knife dull to razor sharp!....but blow on it and it'll be dull again!

knives are like guns....buy once, cry once! (a highpoint will shoot....but a kimber will shoot better!)

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    For a few bucks more than a Kershaw Launch you can get a very nice Protech TR-3 for about $140.00. Protech seems to be kinda over looked but make some of the nicest OTS autos on the market.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    For a few bucks more than a Kershaw Launch you can get a very nice Protech TR-3 for about $140.00. Protech seems to be kinda over looked but make some of the nicest OTS autos on the market.

I couldn't agree more.....hard to beat a Protech......very underrated. I don't know if it's a regional thing, but they don't sell that well around here, but I sell the hell out of them on my website to customers in other states. :dunno:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana

I didn't realize there was a Protech for less than $200

For $140 yeah, I'd go Pro Tech over Kershaw

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I didn't realize there was a Protech for less than $200

For $140 yeah, I'd go Pro Tech over Kershaw

They have a few models under $200. Most of the plain Jane variations are very reasonably priced. It's the skull models and semi-custom stuff that gets high dollar.

Top Bottom