What is this type of kitchen knife called?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    My wife had obtained this knife some years before I ever met her, and it's her favorite.
    The only thing I know about it was that it was given out by the bank where a friend of hers worked, who in turn gave it to her, so that's why the bank's name is marked on one side of the blade.
    The knife is stamped "Vernco Stainless" on the other side, and I gather that Vernco either went out of business or was absorbed by another company who discontinued the brand name.
    I was trying to find some more like it, hoping to find some vintage Vernco, but I'd settle for other makers, but the unusual blade configuration with the finger slot through the blade and the blade extending all the way under the handle is the type of knife my wife would like to get one or more of if I can track down any.
    Would anyone more knowledgeable be able to tell me exactly what nomenclature is used for this type of knife?
    That would make it far simpler for me to feed into a search engine to find more like it.
    0529171751.jpg

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    I do not have a name for the knife. There was a manufacture called Vernco in Columbus, Indiana several years ago. I know they made box fans.

Grump01

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Madison County
    Since this is advertising a bank I suspect Vernco stands for " The Vernon Company" an advertising specialties company. Looking at their site I don't see the same knife offered

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    One-off advertising gimmick that looks like a knockoff of an old pampered chef type of knife...companies used to give away quality stuff that's actually useful...nowadays its crappy (potato) chip (bag) clips or junk flashlights etc

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I think that I would be grabbing that one for rough chopping and dicing vegetable.

Yep
    That's exactly what my wife and I favor it for, but I've also even used it to slice up tenderloin and some other meat.
    I've sharpened it with my Gatco kit twice, and it's surprisingly decent quality for a brand that's not one of the better known ones.
    I just wish that I could find something, anything, to tell me exactly what name is given to knives with this unusual blade configuration.
    If I were naming it, I'd call it a hybride cleaver/mincing/chef's knife.
    Having the blade extending all the way directly below the handle is one of the real selling points of it, and it's why I want to find some more like it.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    It's kind of a hybrid ulu / santoku.

The ergos on that particular knife look OK. But a well-made santoku is hard to beat for a great deal of kitchen work.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    You might try taking a different picture... something on a white background with just the knife, and not much border around it... then, upload it to this or any other site where you can upload photos... view the page in Chrome, then right click and select "Search Google for image"

This could lead to another photo with a specific style name, or sales of same

The design looks comfortable and likely effective... please share if you ever do find another source

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    You might try taking a different picture... something on a white background with just the knife, and not much border around it... then, upload it to this or any other site where you can upload photos... view the page in Chrome, then right click and select "Search Google for image"

This could lead to another photo with a specific style name, or sales of same

The design looks comfortable and likely effective... please share if you ever do find another source

Thank you for that idea!
    Will have to take a shot at it to see if anything matching its image profile pops up, and I'll definitely reply to my own thread if it does.

Top Bottom