• ...and so much more!
  • LordTio3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    McCordsville
    Howdy Strangers,

I'd like to carry a fixed blade knife on my ankle/calf under a pair of slacks and need suggestions from anyone who has done that.

Have you ever stood, looking at your gear table in the morning and thought, "Holy crap, I carry a ton of stuff?"

I'm at that point, and work is business casual, so some things have to go. Lately it's been my large folding knife and I've been missing it in several situations.

Right now I'm carrying in slacks and a tucked-shirt:
    SOG Twitch II
    Streamlight Microstream AAA
    Leatherman Style CS (keychain on a carabineer with keys [Jingle-Bells-Style])
    Cell Phone
    Money Clip

Off Body Carry Bag:
    Glock 19/Spare Mag
    First Aid
    Ka-Bar TDI tactical blade

I'd like to carry a fixed blade knife and it needs to be the following:

Light weight (under 8oz)
    3"+ Blade
    Non-Serrated
    Needs to stay put when I'm walking/jogging/running

It doesn't have to be steel, as I've been looking into ceramics.
    It doesn't have to be eternal, as I'd be willing to replace on some schedule.

I've been looking into some diving knives but haven't found what I'm looking for yet.

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    ~LT3

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Dirty Harry used a switchblade and scotch tape. Probably not quite what you are looking for.

dirty6.jpg

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Sounds like you would like the old blackie Collins dive knife.

There were several styles I have two. The first one has no point all serrated blade mainly made for cutting webbing and ropes. Was very popular in the rafting community as it would not puncture the raft and yet you could still cut the rope or webbing if you had to the chance of getting caught in a rope in swift water and pulling a pointed knife can be troubling. The second one was a river knife only about 1/3 serrated blade nice sharp tip and blade.

I think the the first one I got was the true divers the second one was the river. These were made/ designed by blackie and sold by and manufactured by gerber. I also know one says Portland OR the second on says Italy and I have seen one that said Germany. also.

The knife is is just one piece with a classic style retaining clip that fits into the plastic holder and that can be attacked to a pack belt or arm of leg band.

I am am sure there are some photographs on the web. They were not to expensive when new but that was a long time ago. And I have not seen one or anything like it in a long time.

LordTio3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    McCordsville
    Thank you for the advice.

I don't think I'm interested in a neck knife and I don't think my socks are tight enough to hold a stiletto.

In my research, this is very much what I am looking for, but there seems to be a large hole in the market for this kind of thing.

knife.jpg

At times like this, I generally start to ask myself, "Does everyone else know something I don't?" particularly about carrying on the ankle or calf; but no one seems to be able to tell me that it's a bad idea, or that other people have tried unsuccessfully.

I might have to buy an ankle supporter and make my own...

LordTio3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    McCordsville

Family man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Southern
    I have never caried a knife on my ankle for long enough to give a recommendation. But i have caried a kara pm 380 in an ankle hoster at one time over 2 years. The pick above shows the knife on the outside of the right leg. I suggest trying the inside of your left leg if your right handed. It conceals easier and is much more protected.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The ZT 0150 was my favorite boot knife I've owned, but they are unfortunately discontinued.
    The Sog Pentagon is a decent option too.
    The ESEE RC-3 is a good utilitarian option, and comes with (or at least did) a plate to mount to your boot. I'm partial to the 3MIL-P-CP model.

Top Bottom