• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    My wife purchased a spyderco paramilitary 2 for me from Amazon for Father's Day. I am fully aware of the prevalence of fakes with this knife, but she did not know any better and purchased from Amazon rather than a "reputable dealer".

I have looked the knofe over and checked all all of the most common areas to identify a fake.
    The jimping is angled towards the handle
    the compression lock cutout is smooth and not sharply angled
    the liners have the correct cutouts
    the liners have the "notches" in the outer edge
    lockup is 100% with no play whatsoever
    the G10 scales are not excessively rounded

it was ordered directly through Amazon not a 3rd party seller

the price wasn't "too good to be true"
    ($134.97)

I was 100% sure this knife was the real deal. However the 1 thing that now has me questioning it is that in every single YouTube video, forum post, etc about identifying fakes they say to look at the spyderco box. "They" claim that authentic PM2 labels have the barcode and numbers underneath touching. With the packaging on mine this is not the case, there is a space between. I will upload some pictures and see what the INGO masterminds say.

Like I said i 100% agree with buying from an authorized dealer and eliminating any doubt, but my wife was unaware of these issues and bought it through Amazon (where she buys EVERYTHING)

I guess my my main question is how reliable this information about the box is...
    as I said, everything else points to the real deal but I became slightly concerned when I began reading this issue with the label in every single thread I read it hearing it in every video I watched. Just looking for a little verification one way or the other.

Appreciate any feedback.

I absolutely hate hate that we have to deal with fakes even being a possibility.

IMG_5088_zpshhixxf96.jpg

IMG_5097_zpsu4blim2e.jpg

IMG_5090_zpsnps7hjzo.jpg

IMG_5096_zps3kjbbch2.jpg

IMG_5091_zps0aohp3ca.jpg

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    We should wait for Brad to weigh-in on this.

Looking at the photos, the knife looks like a real Spyderco, including the pocket clip. If it's a fake, it's a really good fake!

I don't know anything about the box.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    We should wait for Brad to weigh-in on this.

Looking at the photos, the knife looks like a real Spyderco, including the pocket clip. If it's a fake, it's a really good fake!

I don't know anything about the box.

Appreciate the feedback. Literally everything I've read to look for checks out as good, I really had no reason to believe that it was a fake until I started reading and seeing videos talking about the box label. It would be one thinghad I read it on one thread or saw it in one video but that point was brought up in about everything I watched or read.

Thanks again. Obviously I know pictures can only do so much but I just wanted to see what the brains of INGO thought.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    It should be real, last time I checked Amazon is one of the biggest Spyderco dealers/distributors out there. Now when buying from a "3rd party" off Amazon that is when things get tricky. But if your wife bought it from Amazon directly you are OK.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'd take Dean's word. The dude is a sharp when it comes to kinves.

Puns aside, I just looked at every spyderco box I have and there are a few of them. No PM2 yet but every single one of mine was bought through official channels and are the no question real deal. ALL of mine have the serial number layout exactly like yours you should be good to go.

Amazon is not a bad place to buy from. Dean is right it's the third parties selling them for $20.00 that are the fakes.

Top Bottom