Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Noblesville
    Three knives that I have recently finished. Still doing this as a hobby
    Any feedback is very welcomed.
    Made the first two for Grad presents:

#1 - Aldo 1084 Skinner, Acid etched, SS and Black G10 spacers, stabilized Curley Maple and
    Figured Walnut. Blade: 5.5" OVL: 10.5"

#2 - Aldo 1084 Hunter, Acid etched, B&W Ebony handles, Black G10 liners. Blade 3.5" OVL 8.25"

#3 - Aldo 1084 B&T, Hollow Grind, Double Tapered, Copper and Red G10 spacers and liners,
    Stabilized Figured Walnut and Amboyna Burl, Blade 4" OVL 8.25"

I am making the sheaths for all now. Thank you for looking.
    Troy

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Nice work! The "2017" etched into the blade isn't my taste, but it's a nice demonstration of what you can do.

How hard do you get your 1084? Have do you done any cutting tests with your finished blades?

PoolQs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Noblesville
    Nice work! The "2017" etched into the blade isn't my taste, but it's a nice demonstration of what you can do.

How hard do you get your 1084? Have do you done any cutting tests with your finished blades?

Thanks Rhino !! The etching is really not my taste either but wanted to make something for show and accomplishment.
    I get most of my blades anywhere between rc56-59. I don't have an oven so consistency from the forge varies +/-.
    I do make a couple of coupons and have them tested at the local machine shop.

Testing, yes. I always try to HT up to 5 blades at a time, 4 to finish and 1 to beat to death. I usually test on a 4x4, oak and walnut logs,
    then go to 1" rope. Like everyone, I have had to scrap a few. I do send my SS to my friend that has an Evenheat oven. I like doing my
    own carbon steels.

Thanks for the comments !!
    Troy

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks Rhino !! The etching is really not my taste either but wanted to make something for show and accomplishment.
    I get most of my blades anywhere between rc56-59. I don't have an oven so consistency from the forge varies +/-.
    I do make a couple of coupons and have them tested at the local machine shop.

Testing, yes. I always try to HT up to 5 blades at a time, 4 to finish and 1 to beat to death. I usually test on a 4x4, oak and walnut logs,
    then go to 1" rope. Like everyone, I have had to scrap a few. I do send my SS to my friend that has an Evenheat oven. I like doing my
    own carbon steels.

Thanks for the comments !!
    Troy

Very cool! You should video some of your testing and share it with us. Some people think it's monotonous, but I like watching it.

Do you use 1084 instead of something like 1095 because you are more familiar with the heat treatment or other properties, or was it because that's what you had on hand when you started?

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    have to agree with the others beautiful knives! the acid etched 2017 doesn't "cut it" for me (see what I did there "cut it")

the handle on #2 is beautiful and have to say #2 is my favorite! with #3 in a close second! and number 1 is in third place!

I have to say id be glad NOT to carry any of your knives (that's a compliment! I don't own a gun I wont carry or shoot, but I have knives that are way to nice to carry or use!)

keep posting!

PoolQs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Noblesville
    Very cool! You should video some of your testing and share it with us. Some people think it's monotonous, but I like watching it.

Do you use 1084 instead of something like 1095 because you are more familiar with the heat treatment or other properties, or was it because that's what you had on hand when you started?

I will have try to do it on my next HT. I just got in a bunch of O-1 that I am doing 4 push daggers and a stiletto dagger. Also getting a billet of Raindrop Damascus for 2 more push daggers.
    As for 1084, I really like this steel. I have used it soo much that I get a real good HT almost every time. 1084 is more forgiving than 1095. With 1095 only having just a
    little more carbon content, very few people will ever tell the difference. 1095 will give a better edge but 1084 will get a little more toughness.

gregr
    Wonderful craftsmanship, and as was said, number three is particularly beautiful.

Backpacker
    Nice workmanship. I like number 3 the best.

shootersix
    have to agree with the others beautiful knives!

Thank you all. It was very fun to make and a bit of a challenge.​

Troy

Top Bottom