• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I have been looking at he Knives of Alaska Alpha wolf for field dressing and see that it comes in both steels. In reading online it appears that S30V might take a little bit of a finer edge as well as be somewhat stain and rust resistant. It sounds like D2 takes a nice edge as well and sharpens more easily, maybe holding the edge longer. But it also needs to be oiled?

Wondering which would be a better field dressing steel? I only have a lansky system for sharpening. Not planning on this to be used for EDC or camping, just field dressing a few deer a year or other game I take.

Thoughts?

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    While D2 is a great steel. I personally would go with S30V for a field dressing knife simply because the rust/corrosion preventive properties are much better for S30V. Remember that you will be using your field dressing knife outdoors and possibly in some pretty nasty conditions. S30V is a true stainless steel, while D2 gets close, it is not considered a stainless steel, thus it will be more susceptible to corrosion and rusting.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My opinion, assuming the quality of the heat treatment is equal for both and geometry of the blades are identical:

• In my experience, it's easier to get a very thin, very sharp edge with CPM S30V than with D2.
    • CPM S30V will probably stay sharper longer than D2.
    • CPM S30V is tougher (i.e. will tolerate impacts better).
    • CPM S30V has superior resistance to corrosion than D2.

All else equal, I would go with S30V over D2 without hesitation.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    D2 can be easy to sharpen, sometimes it can be a PITA to sharpen. Depends on the heat treat. But D2 will rust easier than S30V

That being said, the Knives of Alaska I've had experience with, were a PITA to sharpen in their D2

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    D2 can be easy to sharpen, sometimes it can be a PITA to sharpen. Depends on the heat treat. But D2 will rust easier than S30V

That being said, the Knives of Alaska I've had experience with, were a PITA to sharpen in their D2

I've never had a good experience with D2. Most that I've had (like a Kershaw Outcast) have been a little too soft/large grain structure to take a really good edge. Of course, you have to go a little soft if you choose to make a chopper with D2, but it's not a great choice for that application in my opinion.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I've never had a good experience with D2. Most that I've had (like a Kershaw Outcast) have been a little too soft/large grain structure to take a really good edge. Of course, you have to go a little soft if you choose to make a chopper with D2, but it's not a great choice for that application in my opinion.

Should I mention CPM D2 and really screw up this conversation? :scratch:

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.

If you would use a real sharpening device/tool instead of the bottom of a coffee cup you might get better results. ;)

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana

Medford D2 is the easiest nice ever found to sharpen. Sharpens like any other quality ateel

If you would use a real sharpening device/tool instead of the bottom of a coffee cup you might get better results. ;)

Done that a couple times actually. Works good enough

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Should I mention CPM D2 and really screw up this conversation? :scratch:

Hah! That's a completely different beast and I've not had any experience with it. Particle melt steels change the game. CPM 154 is better behaved than 154CM because of its uniformity (but you knew that) and I get better results sharpening it.

Medford D2 is the easiest nice ever found to sharpen. Sharpens like any other quality ateel

I have actually passed on sharpening a Praetorian for a friend because I didn't think I could do a good job on it. I'll bet they heat treat to the highest Rockwell C hardness that D2 can do, or close to it.

Top Bottom