Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Spyderco Sharpmaker vs. Lanksy Diamond Stone set

Just curious which is more user friendly and in general sharpens better for a beginner?

I like my spyderco's. I bought both of them used from people that said they could not get their knives sharp and hated them. Never owned the other one.
    Jay/lonehoosier

Quote Originally Posted by eldirector View Post
    IF they concealed their contempt as well as they concealed their handgun, it would be a much more meaningful conversation.
    For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

I have a Lansky style sharpener that I like because it really helps keep a steady angle. The spyderco has worked well for touch ups, but so does the bottom of a ceramic coffee cup.
    Last edited by patience0830; 1 Week Ago at 22:43.
    It requires an O'dark30 workout, not layin' in the fart sack.

Dupe
    It requires an O'dark30 workout, not layin' in the fart sack.

The sharpmaker is for touch ups and general knife maintenance. If you need to actually sharpen a knife I would stay away from that system. I have no experience with the lansky however
    Quote Originally Posted by MCgrease08 View Post
    Dude, from what I can tell from your photos, you don't do anything bargin bin.

Get the diamond sticks for your Spyderco and you are good. I've sharpened some seriously dull stuff with those and used the brown and white to get it the rest of the way.
    Rights are only as secure as the ability to wield sufficient force to defend them. - J. Neil Schulman

“There's nothing wrong with the country a bad recession couldn't fix.” - Irving Kristol

"He's not a tame lion..."

1 Samuel 13:19

Psalm 149:6

I have both, and have better lock with the spyderco, I seem to get a sharper edge, I did buy the extra fine sticks, and use them a lot, I shoud break down and buy the diamond sticks but haven't yet.
    Never too many sigs in your safe!-mike4sigs

I've used both. The spydie system is most definitely easier and faster for me.

Add on the diamond stones and extra fine stones, and it'll do everything from serious re-profiling to mirror-edge touchups.
    Slow is slow, and slow is not fast.

If you go with a Lansky style you might look at Gatco Edgemate because the sharpening stones are wider than the Lansky stones.

I have both and much prefer the Sharpmaker with the addition of the diamond rods. The Lansky sits in a drawer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast