• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    So Michigan has legalized auto knives (well really they just un-illegalized them, but whatever). I know next to nothing about automatic knives except that I want to get one. Looking for something around $150.00 or so and about 3.5 to 4 inches. Not sure what to look for. Safety needed? What do I need to know? I have no particular use for one except wanting it. Thanks for the help.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    ty3Slmqh.jpg

For that price point I would stick with OTS (out the side) opening autos. They are more reliable than OFT (out the front) autos and are generally cheaper due to their less complex mechanisms. Personally I really like the Microtech LUDT they are wicked knives and weigh next to nothing, my dads Pro-Techs have also been great. Another good OTS to consider would be the Kershaw Launch series every single one of that line provides allot of knife per dollar spent as well.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So Michigan has legalized auto knives (well really they just un-illegalized them, but whatever). I know next to nothing about automatic knives except that I want to get one. Looking for something around $150.00 or so and about 3.5 to 4 inches. Not sure what to look for. Safety needed? What do I need to know? I have no particular use for one except wanting it. Thanks for the help.

The Kershaw Launch series are pretty good and all of them are well under $150. The blades are CPM 154, which is an excellent steel for knives. I got a Launch 1 (my favorite in the series) from Brad a few years ago and it's a very good knife, but it's only about 3.4 inches. The Launch 6 and 7 are both 3.75 inches.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    ty3Slmqh.jpg

For that price point I would stick with OTS (out the side) opening autos. They are more reliable than OFT (out the front) autos and are generally cheaper due to their less complex mechanisms. Personally I really like the Microtech LUDT they are wicked knives and weigh next to nothing, my dads Pro-Techs have also been great. Another good OTS to consider would be the Kershaw Launch series every single one of that line provides allot of knife per dollar spent as well.

I have a Pro-Tec TR3 Swat
    I love it.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    i have been running my HK branded benchmade stilleto since they were legalized here in indiana. i absolutely love it, i have beaten the living hell out of it and i am just about to have to have it resharpened. one hand open and close. i have not used it much as a pry tool as i carry a multi tool for that. it hurt, a bit, at first for the $210 i paid for it, but after using it for a few weeks, that wound healed rather nicely. i now do not understand how i lived without it in my pocket.

safety wise, it is a pretty good push to get it to open. there is not a lot of pressure going forward, but it will go through one sheet of normal cardboard, but only the very tip gets through. if it went off in a pocket, you would know, but would not be debilitated.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I wanted an Auto for YEARS... Until they were legalized here in IN.

Now - I don't think that I want one any more. :n00b:

I'm kind of in the same camp. The out-the-front style doesn't really do it for me. In fact, I'm only interested in autos that are good working knives that just happen to open when you push a button. The Kershaw Launch 1 is like that . . . wide, thin, slicey CPM 154 blade and so far plenty rugged.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'm kind of in the same camp. The out-the-front style doesn't really do it for me. In fact, I'm only interested in autos that are good working knives that just happen to open when you push a button. The Kershaw Launch 1 is like that . . . wide, thin, slicey CPM 154 blade and so far plenty rugged.

I've handled many of the Launch knives at a local shop. I didn't find any that felt very good in hand upon them opening up. But - that's me.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I haven't been able to handle an auto yet. I'm hoping to hit Brad's booth at the next 1500 though. Honestly, I'd probably just end up buying a Spyderco Para3 instead of an auto. The Spyderco's just do everything I want a knife to do.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Me too, until I discovered the wave style knives. They're faster than an auto.

Can be.

Chris Fry at MDTS had an interesting FB/YouTube video about waves the other day and how they're not all equal.

His point was that the procedure on how to open a knife with a wave feature can be counter-productive in a "need it right this instant" instance. His argument was that if you have to swipe the knife backwards out of a pocket to get it to work - that may very well be counter to your interests at the time you need it most.

Modern Defensive Training Systems - MDTS | MDTSTraining.com - MDTS

If you do the FB - look him up

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Without looking at his video (too loud at work to hear) I'd agree with him. I have an Emerson with the wave, and a Spyderco Endura with the wave. The Spyderco is, hands down, better than the Emerson because it's got a lot more to grab your pocket than the Emerson does. The Emerson is more back and out, but the Spyderco is more straight up and out.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Me too, until I discovered the wave style knives. They're faster than an auto.

Can be.

Chris Fry at MDTS had an interesting FB/YouTube video about waves the other day and how they're not all equal.

His point was that the procedure on how to open a knife with a wave feature can be counter-productive in a "need it right this instant" instance. His argument was that if you have to swipe the knife backwards out of a pocket to get it to work - that may very well be counter to your interests at the time you need it most.

Modern Defensive Training Systems - MDTS | MDTSTraining.com - MDTS

If you do the FB - look him up

Pocket opening of knives with waves is pretty limited, as you note. If you flub it, it's going to be slow recovering.

Of course, there are ways to use the wave when you already have the closed knife in your hand as well. Check out some of Doug Marcaida's stuff with the folding karambit he designed.

Top Bottom