• ...and so much more!
  • CESaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2017
    PBurg
    Hello,

Please excuse what might be a dumb question... and from a "new guy" to boot. :)

In recent years, it seems that there are many creating knives from a wide array of material, many of which can be seem on Ytube.

I have wanted to attempt to smith a knife(s) from port. sawmill blades (guessing somewhere around D4). Being in the business that I am, I have a decent supply.

I've given pieces to some local fellas whom just cut a knife straight from the blade (1-1/2" x .055) and rave how well it holds an edge. Personally thought smithing would be a better route.

Has anyone here ever forged material such as this into a quality cutting tool ??

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    That is pretty thin material for doing much in the way of forging right off the bat. Or are you thinking about forge welding strips together first?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I'm not a blade smith, but...

...some local fellas...just cut a knife straight from the blade...and rave how well it holds an edge...

...I do know that sometimes if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Solution in search of a problem....

Ockam's razor...

-Nate

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Turning a sawmill blade into a knife is usually done without forging. Using the stock removal technique. No heat involved. In fact if you get it too hot while shaping it you have to re temper the blade. If you can keep it cool enough while you are working it the end result can be decent.

CESaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2017
    PBurg
    Or are you thinking about forge welding strips together first?

Yes. Multiple pieces of sections and let the hammering begin.

Never attempted it myself and I have not been able to locate a local in the blade smithing trade (dying art/science). Drawing out a blade is a little beyond my skill level at an anvil.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Yes. Multiple pieces of sections and let the hammering begin.

Never attempted it myself and I have not been able to locate a local in the blade smithing trade (dying art/science). Drawing out a blade is a little beyond my skill level at an anvil.

My blacksmithing experience is extraordinarily limited (I made a couple nails and attempted a horse shoe in Boyscouts), but drawing/shaping is a far more basic skill than forge welding... And if you successfully forge weld, you still have to draw and shape.

CESaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2017
    PBurg
    tradertator,

Is this knife a one peice cut or a forging ??

I've been looking at possibly making my own power hammer too. I've done some forge welding in the past, but the art of tempering is something I will need to study/learn.

Thanks

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    I have a couple of knives that were made out of RR spikes. Another big Bowie knife that was made by someone and a big knife that my grandpa made when he was on a tender ship in the navy.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    RR spikes do not have enough carbon content.The spikes used on the curves have slightly more carbon,but still not enough for a good durable blade.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    RR spikes do not have enough carbon content.The spikes used on the curves have slightly more carbon,but still not enough for a good durable blade.

Those marked HC will do pretty well for what they are. They're not premium knives for sure, but mine takes a decent enough edge, and holds it well enough for what it is.

That said, my RR spike knife is one of my favorite knives.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint

I don't carry, and use them every day. They are here just because I like them. Not unlike my flintlock rifle. I have it, I like it, but not going to take on Isis with it.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Those marked HC will do pretty well for what they are. They're not premium knives for sure, but mine takes a decent enough edge, and holds it well enough for what it is.

That said, my RR spike knife is one of my favorite knives.
    I apologise.I have never come across any marked hc.Learned something new.Thanks

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I apologise.I have never come across any marked hc.Learned something new.Thanks

Don't apologize for learning something new. The HC spikes are still really just marginal at best. If you're going to apologize for something... Let it be for typing and posting:

"somethingguess g new" lol.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Don't apologize for learning something new. The HC spikes are still really just marginal at best. If you're going to apologize for something... Let it be for typing and posting:

"somethingguess g new" lol.
    Now that's funny.I thought I had it corrected in time.Guess not.Thanks.Where could any hc spikes be had?

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    There isn't a whole lot of scrap out there I haven't repurposed into a knife at the forge. Latest forging was a damascus blade hammered from industrial braided steel cable. Holds up pretty well. I forge a ridiculous amount of blades from railroad spikes. The High Carbon ones. I'll generally carve or twist the handles. Shape the blades differently with heavy scallops, broad belly, or wavy like a flamberge, because they won't hold an edge for spit. Just not the best material. Best pounded out into display pieces.

Last edited:

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    I just looked on ebay, and there's a bunch of them on there for pretty cheap.

FWIW, make sure the head is stamped HC. Newer spikes are some bizarre alloy. All that rust is a dead give-away as well. Soak mine in a bucket of apple cider vinegar for a day before scrubbing them down with a broad wire brush, like for a grill. Also, it's illegal to walk the tracks and collect errant spikes. Property o' the railroad. Got their own police lads an' all.

Top Bottom