• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redleg11b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2017
    Goshen/Elkhart
    I am thinking about getting a smaller knife specifically for processing small game. Right now all I have is a Loveless designed semi-skinner from Lone Wolf and a few more tactical style fixed blades and folders. I would prefer a small fixed blade. I have been looking at the Case sharp fingers, Cold Steel bird and trout, and similar. Any recommendations along those lines (small and compact with a blade of 2-2.5"). I also have a Mora, but that stays packed with my camping gear.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Great eastern cutlery makes some fine slip joint options. I have a Knives Of Alaska Cub that works great. Not the smallest, but tough and with a grippy when slippy kinda handle.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Been awhile, but I usually go to my pocket knife for small game. Last time I processed squirrels was with a SAK, don't recall the model.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Buy another MORA, one of the shorter utility knives with orange in the handle. Can't go wrong with those and if you lose it, it's no sweat.

I keep a 3" Mora blade that I put a put an Ash handle on. The ash was from a significant mountain to me in NE Georgia. I also keep an AMERICAN MADE Schrade folder with a locking saw for small game.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    An ESEE CR2.5 or Izula would make a great small game knife.

cr25.png

izula-de.png

Most pocket knives with thin, sharp blades work great for the actual job (like brother obijohn's SAK or the tiny folder I used in high school on squirrels), but then you have to clean squirrel guts out of it.

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    An ESEE CR2.5 or Izula would make a great small game knife.

Most pocket knives with thin, sharp blades work great for the actual job (like brother obijohn's SAK or the tiny folder I used in high school on squirrels), but then you have to clean squirrel guts out of it.

I carry shears these days for parting them out and gutting them. No guts and hardly any blood on my knife these days.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The cleaning the knife part is why I want to stick to a fixed blade. The shears sound interesting though.

I got my Leatherman Charge Ti shortly after they came out with the model. Called my buddy to come help drag out the buck I had taken. He came tromping in as I was finishing field dressing the buck with the cool gut hook and sharp blade. He looked at the leatherman and said, "oh, that's gonna be a problem." It took hours to get the blood, fat and hair out of it.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    The ESEE CR 2.5 is what you are looking for. Absolute best knife ESEE makes.

Designed by by a serious hunter for hunters. It’s perfect for what you want.

Top Bottom