Tell me about these vintage German knives.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    View attachment 59437

Smaller bottom one:
    On the side of the blade, it says "Original Belt and Boot Knife" then "hand made in Solingen Germany" and on the opposite side of the blade it says "13930."

Larger top one:
    At the base of the blade it says "Solingen Germany" and a little pictogram that looks like a mattock stuck in a mountain with "pic" underneath it. The opposite side says 13941.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    The bottom ones blade markings seem to have been popular at the time, without a manufacturer mark it would be difficult to identify. Other than that I can only say they are not Fredr. Herder blades (which I have cooking knives and swords of)...which isn't much help. Neat knives though.

winchester

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    i think they were both made by pic (precise international cutlery) in germany for import to the u.s.a. top one is a copy of a puma bowie knife and the bottom is a copy of the grohmann canadian belt knife. if i was to guess they were made in the late 60's to early 70's. i think both are good quality knives that were just a little cheaper than the knives they copied.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Knives from Solingen, German are like the Spanish Ruby pistols of yesteryear.

Some were better than others, but most are/were cheaply made for export.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    View attachment 59437

Smaller bottom one:
    On the side of the blade, it says "Original Belt and Boot Knife" then "hand made in Solingen Germany" and on the opposite side of the blade it says "13930."

Larger top one:
    At the base of the blade it says "Solingen Germany" and a little pictogram that looks like a mattock stuck in a mountain with "pic" underneath it. The opposite side says 13941.

Where'd you get those and if you decide to sell the bottom one let me know...I am a nerd for Canadian Belt Knives..

They ARE good quality knives....I have had a few in here and buy every one I can....

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    There were some real nice Solingen blades that still bring some real money.Sometime around the 50-60s I think,other com.were stamping Solingen on the cheap blades and we're not made there.The city Patented the word"Solingen" to stop,and protect their integrity.After that,only cutlery made there could wear the name.You can not go wrong with PIC,Richter,Othello,Svoboda or Edge just to name a few.JMHO

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Where'd you get those and if you decide to sell the bottom one let me know...I am a nerd for Canadian Belt Knives..

They ARE good quality knives....I have had a few in here and buy every one I can....

They aren't for sale, they belonged to my maternal grandfather.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    PIC: Precise International Corporation
    PIC was an importer of knives made in various places. Solingen was one of them. I've been told they were also the US import agent for Wenger for a while. I believe they went under after the acquisition of Wenger by Victorinox. From what I understand, Victorinox carried PIC for at least a few years until they merged Wenger's product line and management with their own. A number of former Wenger knives are still made, albeit with some minor modifications (e.g. awl, can opener, toothpick and tweezers). AFAIK the Wenger knife factory is still operating.

If you could find some vintage PIC catalogs, you could start looking through them. That's what I'd try to find. It may be difficult as I've got the impression they were wholesale importers, not retailers.

John

Top Bottom