• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    We haven't talked about Moras in their own topic for a while, so I thought I would start one.

A buddy of mine showed me his Mora Companion yesterday, which prompted me to shout, "Moras are the best value in knives today!"

My oldest Moras are have their previous brand imprint on them: Frosts. All of them were gifts from my father. Several came home with him from Sweden when he and my mom went on a cruise/tour to the Scandanavian countries. They were inexpensive, insanely sharp from the factory, and durable just like their current Mora-branded cousins are today.

I've don't some mods the the More I wear around lately. It's a carbon steel Companion that was sold by Sportsman's Guide as the "Swedish Army Knife" years ago. I filed the spine so it scrapes well and strikes sparks pretty easily from a decent ferrocerium rod. I havne't try getting sparks with flint or chirt or quartz yet, but I will when I find a piece of something that looks like it will work. I wear it on a lanyard I made from a piece of paracord and one of the barrel clasps I mentioned in another topic. I also have a little loop of 1/8" shock cord acting as a loop around the pommel to make sure I don't lose it. The sheath also has a little bit of Gorilla Tape wrapped around it and maybe 20 feet of paracord wound around the lower part. Finally I have a ferro rod and couple of other gadgets hanging from the lanyard.

Does anyone else enjoy the sound that a Mora makes when you put it back in the plastic sheath? No other knife/sheath combination makes that same sound!

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Mora's are super. I made sure my oldest son and his spouse had a few for their 72hour bags. There are mora's of some description in all of my packs, vehicles and several spares. My wood carving knives are mostly mora branded. I don't believe there to be a better value than the mora. My preference is for the old school #1's and #2's, but most of them around my place are the plastic handled companions.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Mora's are super. I made sure my oldest son and his spouse had a few for their 72hour bags. There are mora's of some description in all of my packs, vehicles and several spares. My wood carving knives are mostly mora branded. I don't believe there to be a better value than the mora. My preference is for the old school #1's and #2's, but most of them around my place are the plastic handled companions.

Did you know that I have a Mora classic presented to me by my very own brother? Well, I do!

I just looked at the MG Companion I have on me right now. It's branded Frosts, so that makes it "vintage."

I think they make great neck knives because they're so light! You can have a 4-inch, super sharp blade with a full size grip for the same or less weight than a little "neck knife." Plus it makes me feel like Mors Kochanski.

I wonder if there is a market for pre-assembled neck knife kits based on modestly customized Moras?

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Could likely market a kit with the materials to make the lanyard, the shock cord for the keeper, a modest ferro rod and some 550. Might want to add a bicycle tube section, I mean a Ranger Band, to secure the ferro rod.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I do not have any yet.I have been eying the ones in the yellow lime handles.Got to check them out at SMKW.Been using Mora Ice Augers for years.Their blades take a good beating.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    The Mora's are great knives. I own over a dozen of them. Great all purpose knife for camping or fishing. They stay sharp and are very durable.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Could likely market a kit with the materials to make the lanyard, the shock cord for the keeper, a modest ferro rod and some 550. Might want to add a bicycle tube section, I mean a Ranger Band, to secure the ferro rod.

Ranger Bands are far better than pieces of bicycle inner tube. Way more tactical!

I do not have any yet.I have been eying the ones in the yellow lime handles.Got to check them out at SMKW.Been using Mora Ice Augers for years.Their blades take a good beating.

Why the wait?!! You can get one for less than the price of a good pizza, and they last longer and cut better than pizzas!

Well dang it, this got me interested in yet another knife, so off I went to Amazon. They have quite a few, including Nos 1,2,3.

I kind like the features and price of the 612 utility knife - basically a No 2 with a small guard: https://smile.amazon.com/Morakniv-C...UTF8&qid=1506819683&sr=8-41&keywords=morakniv

They also have Morakniv blade blanks of various models if you want to fashion your own handle: https://smile.amazon.com/Morakniv-C...6819683&sr=8-50-spons&keywords=morakniv&psc=1

Go with it . . . go with it . . .

The Mora's are great knives. I own over a dozen of them. Great all purpose knife for camping or fishing. They stay sharp and are very durable.

I'm thinking of replacing my kitchen knives with them.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have one that I bought after seeing Rhino mention them awhile back. Hasn't seen any use yet, and I don't remember which model it is, but if I remember correctly it was in a thread about "batoning" firewood and I wanted something inexpensive and durable to try it with. I just haven't had the chance to go camping this year. I has a sad. :( It really did come with a nice edge on it right out of the box, and you just can't beat the price/value I don't think.

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    f12557c812642f48b0c475226885951e.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have one that I bought after seeing Rhino mention them awhile back. Hasn't seen any use yet, and I don't remember which model it is, but if I remember correctly it was in a thread about "batoning" firewood and I wanted something inexpensive and durable to try it with. I just haven't had the chance to go camping this year. I has a sad. :( It really did come with a nice edge on it right out of the box, and you just can't beat the price/value I don't think.

Be gentle if you choose to baton with one ... they are not "full tang," meaning the tang doesn't extend full size through the handle. You can do a little, especially small stuff without issues.

I was just about over my Knifeaholic problem, then Rhino got me thinking about buying more knives. Amazon here it come!!:spend:

I'm guilty! At least Moras aren't expensive!

........it a 12 step process........but you will Always be a Knifeaholic......but you must first admit it to Yourself.:dunno:

He's right.

That's some nice kydex! Did you make them yourself? Do your ferro rods ever fall out?

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

Go with it . . . go with it . . ..

Will be here Tuesday.:D

...I'm thinking of replacing my kitchen knives with them.

Ask and ye shall receive:
    Morakniv kitchen knife set.

Be gentle if you choose to baton with one ... they are not "full tang," meaning the tang doesn't extend full size through the handle. You can do a little, especially small stuff without issues.

Hey, whaddI just say? Morakniv Full Tang

Both these are a bit pricier than your standard 1, 2, 3 Moras, tho.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Hey, whaddI just say? Morakniv Full Tang

Both these are a bit pricier than your standard 1, 2, 3 Moras, tho.

Yeah, I never think of the Garberg when I think "Mora." You are correct! That's a stout little beast that can take a pounding for sure!

If I didn't have other full tang knives "bushcraft" knives, I would no doubt have a Garberg already!

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.

I'm guilty! At least Moras aren't expensive!

He's right.

That's some nice kydex! Did you make them yourself? Do your ferro rods ever fall out?

Yeah they are.
    Nope, not mine.
    I bet they don't since they'd be upside down.

Top Bottom