• ...and so much more!
  • gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I was ready to order a Microtech Ultratech until I read their FAQ's.

"12. What occurrences void my warranty?

Improper use will void the warranty, as will disassembly by anyone other than a Microtech® factory repair department. Knives with blades that have been sharpened outside of a Microtech® factory repair department will not be covered under warranty."

So I can't take it apart to clean it or even sharpen it.

I don't understand why anyone would buy a knife (to use) that they have to send back to the factory to be sharpened???

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I have nothing to contribute except that you’ll get a much better deal if you order the knife from Brad’s Knives here on INGO.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I love my Microtechs, never had to worry about cleaning them. Haven't had to sharpen them yet either but I guess my warranty will void then. Never needed the warranty anyway. :)

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I was ready to order a Microtech Ultratech until I read their FAQ's.

"12. What occurrences void my warranty?

Improper use will void the warranty, as will disassembly by anyone other than a Microtech® factory repair department. Knives with blades that have been sharpened outside of a Microtech® factory repair department will not be covered under warranty."

So I can't take it apart to clean it or even sharpen it.

I don't understand why anyone would buy a knife (to use) that they have to send back to the factory to be sharpened???

I have been a direct dealer with Microtech for over 8 years now. The statements made in their warranty are blanket statements that covers their ass for the people that really screw up their knife and expect Microtech to take care of it under warranty.

- Microtech discourages people from taking their knives apart simply because the internals of an OTF are a little more complicated than a normal knife. It's a known fact that people have taken apart their knife, and can't get it put back together properly, and functioning properly. Then, they send the knife and parts back in a zip lock bag expecting Microtech to assemble/fix the knife under warranty.

- It is perfectly ok to sharpen your Microtech knife. However if you butcher up the blade in doing so, and expect Microtech to replace the blade under warranty, it's not going to happen. There are plenty of good knife sharpening systems out there that will do the job without butchering the blade. If you go and put your blade on a motorized belt and remove more than you want or accidently bugger up the blade, don't expect Microtech to cover that under warranty.

- There is a very simple way of cleaning and lubing your OTF knife without having to take it apart. Taking your OTF knife apart for cleaning or lubing is not necessary.

- Improper use voids just about every knife companies (not just Microtech) life time warranty with the exception of a few companies. The majority of the life time warranties will always leave discretion on the companies end....they can claim/say that you used the knife in a way that it was not intended for. Example: Using your knife as a screw driver, hammer, pry bar...etc.

Last edited:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Thanks Brad. It was really the 'can't sharpen your own knife' that I was hung up on.

Having made several fixed, folding and locked back folding knives and being able to do a fine job of sharpening without resorting to sharpening systems, I wasn't interested in sending it in to be sharpened.

PM on the way.

Last edited:

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    i live in Florida where sand can be a problem. I never really did anything with my microtech to make it fail but tote it in my pocket. While waiting for my florida ccw, I was carrying it for self defense a while. I often would go in vacant/abandoned houses as part of my job and trust in this weapon was misplaced. I did send it back for repair but it really doesn't seem to work as good as new. The knife has seen little use and i cant recommend them.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    i live in Florida where sand can be a problem. I never really did anything with my microtech to make it fail but tote it in my pocket. While waiting for my florida ccw, I was carrying it for self defense a while. I often would go in vacant/abandoned houses as part of my job and trust in this weapon was misplaced. I did send it back for repair but it really doesn't seem to work as good as new. The knife has seen little use and i cant recommend them.

NEVER rely on an OTF for self defense....all OTF knives, not just Microtech. I never recommend an OTF for self defense or for anyone that has to rely on a knife being 100% reliable.....this includes LEO , First Responders, and the Military...... Pick/choose the right/correct tool for the job and don't expect your OTF to do something that it wasn't designed to do.

OTF knives are totally different than other knife designs, there are special care and maintenance procedures that apply to them only.
    By design, automatic knives, in general, will not be as reliable as a manual opening knife, this is especially true with OTF automatics. The OTF design is susceptible to failure as far as the blade locking up when fired (deployed), and not fully retracting when desired. The opening at the end where the blade fires out is susceptible to dirt, crud, and pocket lint migrating inside the knife where springs and mechanisms are located. This can cause lock up problems during deployment and retraction of the blade, and is the number one reliability issue with an OTF design. (Note: Some of the internal tolerances on your higher quality OTF knives are thousands of an inch.)
    The other reliability issue with OTF knives is lubrication. OTF knives require more maintenance than any other knife. Each individual OTF knife will have it’s own requirements regarding the amount of lube/oil to keep it functioning properly. As an owner, you will have to determine how often lubrication is required to keep your knife functioning.

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    NEVER rely on an OTF for self defense....any OTF, not just Microtech. I never recommend an OTF for self defense or for anyone that has to rely on a knife being 100% reliable.....this includes LEO , First Responders, and the Military...... Pick/choose the right/correct tool for the job and don't expect your OTF to do something that it wasn't designed to do.

OTF knives are totally different than other knife designs, there are special care and maintenance procedures that apply to them only.
    By design, automatic knives, in general, will not be as reliable as a manual opening knife, this is especially true with OTF automatics. The OTF design is susceptible to failure as far as the blade locking up when fired (deployed), and not fully retracting when desired. The opening at the end where the blade fires out is susceptible to dirt, crud, and pocket lint migrating inside the knife where springs and mechanisms are located. This can cause lock up problems during deployment and retraction of the blade, and is the number one reliability issue with an OTF design. (Note: Some of the internal tolerances on your higher quality OTF knives are thousands of an inch.)
    The other reliability issue with OTF knives is lubrication. OTF knives require more maintenance than any other knife. Each individual OTF knife will have it’s own requirements regarding the amount of lube/oil to keep it functioning properly. As an owner, you will have to determine how often lubrication is required to keep your knife functioning.

Would you rely on an assisted opening knife, like the offerings from ZT?

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Would you rely on an assisted opening knife, like the offerings from ZT?

Yes sir...just remember that anything that is mechanical can fail, but with assisted opening knives, the risk of having a failure is minimal, unlike OTF knives that have a much higher failure rate due to the inheritance of the design. Really, the only failure you have to worry about with an assisted opening knife is the spring, and that is a very low risk factor. Contamination usually is not an issue, although it can happen. If you truly want to use a knife for self defense and be 100% reliable, a fixed blade is the only way to go. Everything else (folders) will have some degree of not being reliable...some designs more than others.

NOTE: The above statements are assuming that the person behind the knife knows what he/she is doing. :)

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Another factor is that is an OTF malfunctions, it's essentially useless. If an assisted opener or even a conventional auto misfires, you can still open it.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    While not an OTF, I love the LUDTs from Microtech. Bought this one while I was in Florida to bury my Mother recently. I love the Apocalyptic Finishes on the blades because you don't have to worry about scratches while carrying it. :)
    QcBKHL5.jpg

FZSPPyi.jpg

Top Bottom