• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nate Suns

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Fishers
    As far as I can tell it was made by a man named Harvey Draper in the 60's. The blade is stamped Draper and Ephraim, Utah. It's a brass-backed bowie with a real ivory handle. The blade is 13.5 inches long. I received it as a gift and was curious about its history. There isn't much I can find online about this particular model. Thanks for your time!

Y6a4RDh.jpg

Nate Suns

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Fishers
    Thanks! Could anyone give some info on what i can do to maintain it properly. My experience with knifes doesn't go beyond the kitchen and edc folders. The brass on it could definitely use a polish if nothing else.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks! Could anyone give some info on what i can do to maintain it properly. My experience with knifes doesn't go beyond the kitchen and edc folders. The brass on it could definitely use a polish if nothing else.

First and foremost, do not store it inside of its sheath. That will lead to corrosion of both the blade and the brass fittings. I'd wipe fingerprints and hand oils off of the blade and keep it coated with a light film of oil to prevent corrosion.

I won't recommend anything for maintaining the brass since that's a high dollar knife. I'm sure Brad has a good suggestion, though.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Renaissance Wax is what the high dollar museums use to protect priceless junk from rust or other degradation I have used it. It works well. A very little goes a long way.

Personally, I would not polish up that brass, but it’s your knife. Use it or display it as you see fit. I think it might help to research proper care of ivory. It can crack but there are things to put on it to keep it from drying out, if that’s the right term.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    First and foremost, do not store it inside of its sheath. That will lead to corrosion of both the blade and the brass fittings. I'd wipe fingerprints and hand oils off of the blade and keep it coated with a light film of oil to prevent corrosion.

I won't recommend anything for maintaining the brass since that's a high dollar knife. I'm sure Brad has a good suggestion, though.

Renaissance Wax is what the high dollar museums use to protect priceless junk from rust or other degradation I have used it. It works well. A very little goes a long way.

Personally, I would not polish up that brass, but it’s your knife. Use it or display it as you see fit. I think it might help to research proper care of ivory. It can crack but there are things to put on it to keep it from drying out, if that’s the right term.

^^^^^^All of this^^^^^^^

I have nothing to add. :)

BTW: That is an awesome piece!

Nate Suns

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Fishers
    Thanks for your help guys! I definitely won't be using this, I don't have much need for a 13.5" blade but I appreciate the help. I guess I'll store or display it out of it's sheath to be safe, and probably just leave it as is otherwise other than getting some wax.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Thanks for your help guys! I definitely won't be using this, I don't have much need for a 13.5" blade but I appreciate the help. I guess I'll store or display it out of it's sheath to be safe, and probably just leave it as is otherwise other than getting some wax.

Definitely leave it out of the sheath. The chemicals they use to treat the leather will cause a reaction (over time) with the metal parts of the knife, especially the brass (that green slimy stuff that gets around/on the brass when it has been stored in leather). Not to mention, the possibility of moisture developing inside the sheath which can cause a lot problems.

Top Bottom