• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've been collecting (accumulating) knives for almost 40 years and not only has my interest not waned, it may be stronger than ever. I love knives and I appreciate them as fine tools, but why do I like them so much? I've had many interests in life, but none have endured the way my affinity for knives has. So what's different?

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Mine takes me back to my childhood.At 5,I told my pa I wanted a knife.He said OK.He pulled a Case XX out of his pocket, put the pointed blade between the wooden steps,broke half of it off and said here ya go boy........that was all it took.Then years later,I would visit my uncle in the South.On Sundays,the old timers would meet at the courthouse square,talk knives,show knives,and trade knives.I would always take a pocket of boot,and come home with a better one than I started.The old guys pulled me in.Then I saw a Fightin' Rooster........

Last edited:

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    You obviously have an addiction and need an intervention. To help you quit cold turkey please PM your address and I will come and haul off all your knives for free. Kitchen knives too, hope you like prepackaged soups and salads. :laugh:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    An ancient, Tacitus I think, said "the blade itself incites to violence." I don't know about that, but there is something psychological about holding one. Maybe it's a connection with the earliest of our ancestors. Maybe it is the strange way that the simplest of tools is suited for myriad tasks. Maybe it is knowing that the blade is capable of doing more than you know, and you just need to learn that next skill.

I'm fascinated how you can take a material that forms the foundations of our planet, or fell out of the sky as stardust, and through careful craftsmanship and application of heat, turn it into the toughest, hardest and most versatile of substances. With more craftsmanship, that material can take an edge. And then a living organism can be cut and shaped into a handle. Cold steel and warm wood brought together in primordial poetry.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Mine takes me back to my childhood.At 5,I told my pa I wanted a knife.He said OK.He pulled a Case XX out of his pocket, put the pointed blade between the wooden steps,broke half of it off and said here ya go boy........that was all it took.Then years later,I would visit my uncle in the South.On Sundays,the old timers would meet at the courthouse square,talk knives,show knives,and trade knives.I would always take a pocket of boot,and come home with a better one than I started.The old guys pulled me in.Then I saw a Fightin' Rooster........

That's a great story!

I remember being at the lumber yard with my dad when I was a kid. I saw knives on the dollar table and I saw knives in a display case that cost a lot more (I think they were Case). I asked the guy at the counter why they cost more and he held up a wood screw and told me it was because the more expensive knives could shave the threads off of the screw. He did not show me, but that stuck with me all these years.

You obviously have an addiction and need an intervention. To help you quit cold turkey please PM your address and I will come and haul off all your knives for free. Kitchen knives too, hope you like prepackaged soups and salads. :laugh:

Hush, you!

The Riddle of Steel.

There is something to that. Edged tools are primal and linked to life and survival in our psyche.

There is something personal about a knife. I have carried one since I was little guy. Always have one near by.

Agreed! But what is it about a knife that makes it different from a watch or yo-yo?

Hush, you!

An ancient, Tacitus IIRC, said "the blade itself invited to violence." I don't know about that, but there is something psychological about holding one. Maybe it's a connection with the earliest of our ancestors. Maybe it is the strange way that the simplest of tools is suited for myriad tasks. Maybe it is knowing that the blade is capable of doing more than you know, and you just need to learn that next skill.

I'm fascinated how you can take a material that forms the foundations of our planet, or fell out of the sky as stardust, and through careful craftsmanship and application of heat, turn it into the toughest, hardest and most versatile of substances. With more craftsmanship, that material can take an edge. And then a living organism can be cut and shaped into a handle. Cold steel and warm wood brought together in primordial poetry.

All good points. That's related to what I mean when I say knives are primal.

^^^This^^^

It is within the last year I have looked at and bought what I consider "Nice" knives.
    Nicer than a Buck anyway.

ZTs are a gateway drug, cm. The ZT0200 is what pushed me over the edge, so to speak, into higher end knives.

A better question would be why don't they like you back?
    stretcher.gif

Why, you!!!

Last edited:

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    They're on the cutting edge, sometimes bleeding edge, of technology, and have been for millennia.

John

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Knives for me have always been tools more than guns. Guns I'll buy because of some historical significance, something I've never done with knives. I did buy a box of swords at an auction a long time ago planning on using them as decoration but never got around to it. Put an edge on some and tried them out cutting brush, put them back in the box, something about a yard of razor blade just made me uncomfortable.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's a great story!

I remember being at the lumber yard with my dad when I was a kid. I saw knives on the dollar table and I saw knives in a display case that cost a lot more (I think they were Case). I asked the guy at the counter why they cost more and he held up a wood screw and told me it was because the more expensive knives could shave the threads off of the screw. He did not show me, but that stuck with me all these years.

Hush, you!

There is something to that. Edged tools are primal and linked to life and survival in our psyche.

Agreed! But what is it about a knife that makes it different from a watch or yo-yo?

Hush, you!

All good points. That's related to what I mean when I say knives are primal.

ZTs are a gateway drug, cm. The ZT0200 is what pushed me over the edge, so to speak, into higher end knives.

Why, you!!!

Man I hope I can avoid Brad next weekend. Thing is he is just a good sort. Pleasant to see. I see a 0456 in my future.

Top Bottom