• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Hey gang. I'm overseas, and started making knife sheaths out of kydex for a hobby and because some of my team's sheaths suck. Not all of mine are pretty, but they're functional. I'm working with minimal materials, such as recycled belt lops and overly long aluminum Chicago screws, so its a little less than ideal even if I had techniques down, but I think its going all right. Long and short of it, I am making a sheath for a local compatriot who has a ****ty knife. I can sharpen it decently, and replace the sheath, but I'd really like to do something about the handle as the cap holding the rubber grip on is missing, and the entire assembly is unreasonably small anyways. For the purposes of this conversation, replacing it isn't an option as it has sentimental value and frankly, time in service over many of my team.

Assuming minimal equipment and marginal skills, any ideas? I have a battery powered cordless drill, assorted hand files, and things like hammer, pliers, razor, hot iron. This knife seems to be fairly strong, and has holes in the handle already.

Can2.jpg
    Can1.jpg

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    If you have access to leather and epoxy, you could make a stacked leather handle, similar to a Ka-Bar. Cut some silver dollar sized blanks out of some heavy leather, cut a rectangular hole in each to fit the tang through. Stack them on until you have enough. Don't put a hole in the last piece, unless you plan on using another piece of brass for a matching rear bolster. The hole size isn't too critical, you can leave a 1/32 slop. Take it all apart, clean the tang with alcohol or acetone. Tape off your bolster and blade. Slather the tang with epoxy, and do the same with both sides of each piece as you put it on. If you have a way to clamp it, do so. Give it a day to cure, then profile it down with your files. You could do the same thing with wood, but drilling the holes is more difficult. If you use wood, you'll want to finish it. You could leave the leather as is, or burnish it.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    If you have access to leather and epoxy, you could make a stacked leather handle, similar to a Ka-Bar. Cut some silver dollar sized blanks out of some heavy leather, cut a rectangular hole in each to fit the tang through. Stack them on until you have enough. Don't put a hole in the last piece, unless you plan on using another piece of brass for a matching rear bolster. The hole size isn't too critical, you can leave a 1/32 slop. Take it all apart, clean the tang with alcohol or acetone. Tape off your bolster and blade. Slather the tang with epoxy, and do the same with both sides of each piece as you put it on. If you have a way to clamp it, do so. Give it a day to cure, then profile it down with your files. You could do the same thing with wood, but drilling the holes is more difficult. If you use wood, you'll want to finish it. You could leave the leather as is, or burnish it.

This seems doable. The only question is that this isn't any kind of cap to the bottom of the tang. All the stacked leather handles online have one. I think I could probably do some kind of heavy wire saddle through the lower hole attached to.....a washer or some such thing? Thoughts?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    This seems doable. The only question is that this isn't any kind of cap to the bottom of the tang. All the stacked leather handles online have one. I think I could probably do some kind of heavy wire saddle through the lower hole attached to.....a washer or some such thing? Thoughts?

Is the tang soft, or is it as hard as the blade?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I don't have a means to measure that. I can scratch it with a screw, same as the blade, but not noticeably gouge it

If it isn't too hard, it can be peened. This involves making something metal with a hole in it that matches your tang. It will fit onto the tang in such a way that the exposed portion of the tang sits slightly proud of the rear pommel. You then methodically mushroom over the tang until it keeps the bolster in place. This effectively secures your whole stacked leather or wood handle. However, if the tang is hard, you won't be able to do this.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    If it isn't too hard, it can be peened. This involves making something metal with a hole in it that matches your tang. It will fit onto the tang in such a way that the exposed portion of the tang sits slightly proud of the rear pommel. You then methodically mushroom over the tang until it keeps the bolster in place. This effectively secures your whole stacked leather or wood handle. However, if the tang is hard, you won't be able to do this.

Ah, I see. It would definitely be soft enough for that, but part of the problem is that the tang (or possibly just handle extension..) is very short already. I'll look for leather and epoxy and experiment. Thanks for the help!

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Ah, I see. It would definitely be soft enough for that, but part of the problem is that the tang (or possibly just handle extension..) is very short already. I'll look for leather and epoxy and experiment. Thanks for the help!

Gotcha. No problem, wish I could help more. If you're going to extend past the tang, you might want something solid out there that is anchored to the tang. You might try a piece of wood pinned into that hole toward the end of the tang. If you used a nice piece of wood and blended it all together, it would look pretty nice.

Anyway, good luck!

Top Bottom