• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Like some of the rest of you, I have admired the Bark River knives for a while, but I never actually tried one. Recently I was reading about the Mini Kephart and noticed that the blade was ground from 3/32" stock (0.0938"). That caught my interest! Then I saw that it was CPM 3V, and I realized I had to try.

Yes.

Thin blade stock + full convex grind to close to a zero edge = slicey goodness. It's a like a Mora with a full tang that would be a challenge to break.

I wish more companies would make some knives from 3/32" stock. An ESEE Izula that is 3/32" thick would be awesome.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Like some of the rest of you, I have admired the Bark River knives for a while, but I never actually tried one. Recently I was reading about the Mini Kephart and noticed that the blade was ground from 3/32" stock (0.0938"). That caught my interest! Then I saw that it was CPM 3V, and I realized I had to try.

Yes.

Thin blade stock + full convex grind to close to a zero edge = slicey goodness. It's a like a Mora with a full tang that would be a challenge to break.

I wish more companies would make some knives from 3/32" stock. An ESEE Izula that is 3/32" thick would be awesome.

Be careful ! ..... that blade sounds like it could excavate bone marrow just by looking at it ! ;)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Be careful ! ..... that blade sounds like it could excavate bone marrow just by looking at it ! ;)

Indeed it could! I think the full size Kephart is the same thickness, so with a wide blade it would be even slicier.

The Featherweight Fox River is about the same thickness and also available in CPM 3V. I know some people have trouble with sharpening 3V, but so far it's easier than M4.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Isn't that a Mike Grasso design?

Since this is a new model for this year (2017), I would be very surprised if Mike designed this model especially after Mike Stewart (Owner of Bark River) screwed him on his previous designs.

Yes, one and the same...the biggest crook in the knife business.

Unaware of that!

That's troubling to hear, especially since I've been crowing about his products. We'll have to talk sometime soon.

So who else makes smallish fixed blades that thin?

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Most people on INGO think that is Lynn Thompson

While Lynn Thompson may be Flamboyant, outrageous, and over the top with his marketing, about the only thing you can accuse him of as far as being a "crook" is copying and using other makers designs, which arguably is done frequently by other people in the knife world. As for Mike Stewart, he has actually stolen money from people by not paying (or delivering product that was paid for upfront) what he owed them from business transactions within his companies. I personally know of at least three different people that have been screwed by Mike Stewart, and one of them..... was for six figures $$$.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom