• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Last year, an awesome friend of a friend allowed me to go deer hunting on his family property. My very first time deer hunting.

I was the only one (of the friend, or the friend of the friend) to actually harvest one.

And I have been invited back this winter. :rockwoot:

It being my first deer, he was kind enough to field dress it while I watched and tried to learn what he was doing and why. And I kept him in good supply of sharp edges as he used several of the knives that I brought on the trip.

He expressed a preference for a tidy blade (4" or so). Seems to me a good groove or guard would be in order, but I'm out of my comfort zone.

I'd really like to make a gift of a solid, usable hunting knife as thanks for the experience. Not a presentation Damascus piece with pearl inlay. But a solid work knife that a deer hunter would appreciate.

Thoughts??

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Case, Buck, and Gerber all make good knives at reasonable prices. Go to their web sites and look around, I'm sure you can find something that will meet your needs.

TLF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    I am an avid deer hunter and the best knife I have found is the Havalon Piranta. I have given several as gifts to other hunters and the response has always been positive.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    My personal favorite to date is a schrade scrimshaw. Lightweight, small & easy to manuever. VERY sharp. Best field dressing knife i have used thus far (have used case, buck, etc.) You can get one at Wally World for about $20

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Schrade-...de-Knife-No-1520T-Taylor-Cutlery-Ltc/12551327

I have the Schrade model with deer engraved on handle and blade my father got me a few years ago. I bought him the very one i mentioned from walmart and he said, of all the kinives he's used for field dressing, it is the best to date (hes been hunting for 40+ years!)

gtpaotF.jpg

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Buck 110 vote here also. It’s the foundation for any knife collection, even if that is the only knife you ever own.

Some have Issues with cleaning it out since it’s a folder. If that will be an issue, go with the Buck 119. You can get his name put on it if you want.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    A Buck 110 is the classic, but it's possible the fellow already has one. You can't go wrong with a Buck 110, especially if you get one of the custom shop or dealer exclusive editions with an upgrade blade steel like CPM S30V.

If it's to get him a nice working knife for field dressing and skinning dear, then a 3.5 - 4.5" drop point or semi skinner fixed blade is probably the best bet (disclosure: I'm not a hunter and I haven't cleaned anything bigger than a squirrel, so my recommendation is based on my knowledge of the knife itself). I would look start the search at an ESEE 3HM and use that as your baseline for price point, design, quality, etc.

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    Friend has a SOG Seal Pup that works well, not to big/not to small -kinda Goldielocks in size. About $60.00 Not American made is a downside for me. Taiwan I

https://www.amazon.com/SOG-Elite-Fixed-Blade-E37T-K/dp/B0017HZ0O6

I've carried this one from Buck for a few years. I like it, it's a little heavy for me when working inside the chest area for the diaphragm and esophagus but I like it. It holds an edge well.

https://www.amazon.com/2615-Vanguar...ords=knives+buck&refinements=p_89:Buck+Knives

I've also carried a mora knife. Scary sharp out of the box.

Morakniv® Companion Fixed-Blade Knife : Cabela's

Good luck, lots of choices.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    If you TURELY wish to impress him and he does know enough about knives to appreciate a great one I can not recommend strongly enough the Bravo 1 by Bark River Knives.
    If you can not afford the cost of a BRK Bravo-1, I have 3 Buck Vanguards and are Very impressed with how sharp I can get them and how easily I can resharpen them. I own quite a large collection of hunting knives including a BlackJack Trail Guide, A.G. Russle Deer & Bird Hunters, Cold Steel Master Hunter, Three 420HC Buck Vanguards, a Mini Vanguard, a 2 Buck Mini Alpha Hunters, made in USA Uncle Henry Pro Hunter, USA Made Old Timer Deer Deer Syler, BRK knives Bravo-1 and a few I cant recall from Kershaw and Gerber and several whos names escape me at this moment.

I take great pride in being able to put a SCARY hair popping way beyond razor sharp edge on a knife, and out all of my sub $100 knives I feel my Buck Vanguards are the best by far in what a hunter needs in a hunting knife. Buck has their heat treat of their 420HC steel down stone cold. so if your budget is under $100 I just don't see how you can beat a Rose Wood handle Buck Vanguard fixed blade knife.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Update....
    he declined my 110 during our first hunt. Blade was a little long for him.

Unfortunatly two two of the three of us had the flu during our scheduled hunt. So no joy this year.

I did purchase the hidden canyon hunter. I think it will hit the mark. I plan on giving it to him next fall. Unless it finds a permanent home here.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I enjoy using 3-4 inch drop point blades for field dressing. A nice thick backside to the blade also. Years ago my favorite was the Remington big game folder but as others have stated it took nearly as long to clean up the knife as field dress the deer.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    ESEE 3 probably the best multiuse knife on the market today. It's relatively inexpensive, it is a true TOOL, multiple uses, small enough for delicate cuts, but large and strong enough to break bones.

Top Bottom