• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fender

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    southern indiana
    When I was young I saw a early Puma white hunter knife and thought that it was the top of the heap for me and some day would have one plus the man that owned it had hunted out west and was an admiral person . Now that I'm older they have increased in price enough to stay out of range and not that common but one is still on my list. What are peoples opinion and current price range for them now a days? Where should I look for one so not having to ship? thanks

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Ohhh the white Hunter is a great knife with a very distinctive look.

Buy one cry once.

I have seen few for sale at gun and knife shows of late. When I was seeing them you could get one for 100-300 range from well used to mint. They made several with that look but others removed the top edge. I think the one called the buddy knife is highly sought after also.

I do remember that for a couple of years in the beginning they made the box with a see through lid with printing. If you find one of those with mint box you could most likely name a price and sell it those are very rare.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's a very cool knife and probably worth the money to a Puma collector or someone who just really likes the design.

In terms of actual utility, there are a lot of knives on the market that will probably outperform it for a lot less money.

fender

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    southern indiana
    I agree there are plenty of knives that get the job done. I just set my sights on one as a young man and haven't stopped wanting one even though they have passed my using knife price. Can a person be a puma collector without owning one?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I agree there are plenty of knives that get the job done. I just set my sights on one as a young man and haven't stopped wanting one even though they have passed my using knife price. Can a person be a puma collector without owning one?

I don't really think so. I think a Puma collector would consider the White Hunter to be the foundation of a collection!

I remember when Guttmann published an annual knife magazine/journal in the early 1980s. I re-read those magazines hundreds of times and the knives I wanted to own were the White Hunter and the Trail Boss Buck 110 clone.

fender

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    southern indiana
    Rhino, What is the trail boss knife you mentioned? I remember when everyone was wearing the buck 110 on there belt. But I am drawing a blank on the trail boss name.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Rhino, What is the trail boss knife you mentioned? I remember when everyone was wearing the buck 110 on there belt. But I am drawing a blank on the trail boss name.

The Trail Boss was Puma's lockback that was the same size as the 110. They also had several smaller and maybe one larger. It was clearly a copy of the 110, but had the Puma flair. The Puma Emperor was the same knife, but with stag scales instead of wood.

KLC09997.jpg

fender

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    southern indiana
    I don't believe I've ever come across one of those. I see where a person would want one. I'm curious how the puma's steel compared to buck's. I loved everything about the buck 110 but I didn't have the knack for sharpening them.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't believe I've ever come across one of those. I see where a person would want one. I'm curious how the puma's steel compared to buck's. I loved everything about the buck 110 but I didn't have the knack for sharpening them.

I haven't done research on the stainless steels that Puma used over the years, but amy Trail Boss you find is likely DIN 14.110 stainless, which is very similar to 440A. It won't have the best edge holding, but 440A will take a very sharp edge (much sharper edge than 440C with all else equal). You can expect the heat treatment of a Puma to be correct to its specs.

fender

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    southern indiana
    Jeep, That looks like the white hunter pattern but something looks fishy. Rhino, I don't have the understanding of the numbers you mentioned. I am intrigued though and am enjoying learning. I thank you for responding.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Jeep, That looks like the white hunter pattern but something looks fishy. Rhino, I don't have the understanding of the numbers you mentioned. I am intrigued though and am enjoying learning. I thank you for responding.

The knife in that Ebay listing is a Puma White Hunter, but it's not the White Hunter model with Stag handles. Over the years Puma used several different types of handles for the White Hunter models including Wood, Kraton, and Micarta. Note: There may be several other handle materials that were used that I can't think of at the time of this post. :)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Last edited:

fender

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    southern indiana
    After seeing the website I feel like I'm late for the party for sure. I just came across puma's at random gun shows never thinking much about it. Who knows might still find one at a show and be a little wiser about it. Cool

Top Bottom