• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Santa brought this to me today... :) I already had one but the sheath on this one is nicer. I just really like the heft and feel of these old knives. Anyone else into Cattarauguses... Cattaraugi? :):

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Me like!

Is that the same pattern issued to the US Navy during WW II?

Quartermasters...Also the only knife in the war to come in a left handed sheath as Quartermaster's were issued a 1911...They were made to open wooden crates which is why the blade is so thick....Other soldiers, (especially front line and commando types) were constantly trying to get their hands on them...They are nearly indestructible......

Hey Doggy! Post a pic of the spine so Rhino can see what all the hub bub is about.....

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have had a couple come in the shop...They are a beast......Love it and Merry Christmas Doggy Daddy.....

They are indeed, and hope you had a Merry Christmas too Rick!

Me like!

Is that the same pattern issued to the US Navy during WW II?
    I believe it is. I've seen them described as being used by USMC and (I think) the Army as well. I need to find someone that does leather work to see if they can make me a new retention strap on the sheath on the other one I have. I'd like to use "old" leather and reuse the original snaps if such a thing is possible.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Myth busted lol....

I have had this for years, it was Dad's and I never ID'd it, so looked into it this week.

It was my Dad's carried as a Navy fighter pilot, he also had one made from a Spanish saber from the Spanish American War.

Found t a WWII Cattaraugus 225Q
    There were a lot of these made and it will probably never have tremendous collector value. They are one of the best combat/survival knives ever made. Contrary to the common story they were not made for opening crates. There were crowbars for that. They were bought by the quartermaster corp as a secondary standard. They bought a lot of "hunting" knives to meet wartime demands. Sometimes this was even called a commando knife. It is beefier than either the MKII/Kabar or the M3 fighting knife. The large textured pommel could be used for hammering in a pinch. The handle is better than either the MKII or the M3.

For strictly as a user. Do a little work on the handle with saddle soap. Get it wet and sort of hammered on the leather washers to get them to swell. That will tightened it up. The handles were always somewhat rough. The "left hand" sheath was not particularly for a left-handed user. It was designed to be carried on your left so that you could carry something more critical (like your pistol) on your right side.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    In addition to my two fighting/utility knives, I've also got a Cattaraugus pilot survival machete. It's basically a giant lock blade folding knife. Love this thing for camping (cutting small saplings or whatnot for clearing an area for the tent) and using around the yard. Cut down all our elephant ears before digging up the bulbs this year. They originally came with a metal guard for the blade but mine is missing. Someday I'd like to have some kind of "sheath" or scabbard made to hold it when it's in the folded position too.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Myth busted lol....

I have had this for years, it was Dad's and I never ID'd it, so looked into it this week.

It was my Dad's carried as a Navy fighter pilot, he also had one made from a Spanish saber from the Spanish American War.

Found t a WWII Cattaraugus 225Q
    There were a lot of these made and it will probably never have tremendous collector value. They are one of the best combat/survival knives ever made. Contrary to the common story they were not made for opening crates. There were crowbars for that. They were bought by the quartermaster corp as a secondary standard. They bought a lot of "hunting" knives to meet wartime demands. Sometimes this was even called a commando knife. It is beefier than either the MKII/Kabar or the M3 fighting knife. The large textured pommel could be used for hammering in a pinch. The handle is better than either the MKII or the M3.

For strictly as a user. Do a little work on the handle with saddle soap. Get it wet and sort of hammered on the leather washers to get them to swell. That will tightened it up. The handles were always somewhat rough. The "left hand" sheath was not particularly for a left-handed user. It was designed to be carried on your left so that you could carry something more critical (like your pistol) on your right side.
    Interesting! Actually I don't much care if it was issued to the troops or not. I have seen them referred to as "Quartermaster knives" too. I just like these knives. I've always been a fan of the stacked leather washer handles on knives. I've got Dad's machete (24" blade I think), and his much larger (than the Cattaraugus) "Bowie" style knife that he brought back from the South Pacific (Dad was in the Sea Bees in WWII). Now THAT thing is a beast! No doubts about them being issued by the Navy. :)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Quartermasters...Also the only knife in the war to come in a left handed sheath as Quartermaster's were issued a 1911...They were made to open wooden crates which is why the blade is so thick....Other soldiers, (especially front line and commando types) were constantly trying to get their hands on them...They are nearly indestructible......

Hey Doggy! Post a pic of the spine so Rhino can see what all the hub bub is about.....

Here's the spine:

And the textured pommel:

And here is Dad's Bowie knife for size comparison...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Okay you lost me (I'm not really a knife aficionado). What does this mean? I'm assuming Scandi = Scandinavian?

Yes, "Scandi" is knife-speak for Scandinavian grind. It's a blade grind with a flat, v-shaped primary bevel that only goes up 1/4-1/2 of the blade width with no secondary or micro bevel and the rest of the blade full thickness of the stock. It gets its name from being the most common grind profile on traditional Swedish and Finn knives. It's pretty good for utility use, but really shines for processing and carving wood.

Here are some examples:

41X%2BBVVWElL._SY300_.jpg
    03-Scandi-Grind-Profile.jpg
    LTFront-4789__59359.1479837882.700.500.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yes, "Scandi" is knife-speak for Scandinavian grind. It's a blade grind with a flat, v-shaped primary bevel that only goes up 1/4-1/2 of the blade width with no secondary or micro bevel and the rest of the blade full thickness of the stock. It gets its name from being the most common grind profile on traditional Swedish and Finn knives. It's pretty good for utility use, but really shines for processing and carving wood.
    Thank you sir! So by maintaining the full thickness of the blade stock as much as possible, the result is a blade that will better resist "side" stresses? Something like that?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thank you sir! So by maintaining the full thickness of the blade stock as much as possible, the result is a blade that will better resist "side" stresses? Something like that?

I'm not sure what all of the reasons were for initially doing it, but in practice one of the features is they're about the easiest grind profile to sharpen well. The geometry also bites into wood differently than other grinds, so some find it easier for carving tasks.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm not sure what all of the reasons were for initially doing it, but in practice one of the features is they're about the easiest grind profile to sharpen well. The geometry also bites into wood differently than other grinds, so some find it easier for carving tasks.

That makes sense... simple grind profile = easier to sharpen. Seems to be pretty forgiving.

Top Bottom