• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I have a Christmas gift being returned on Amazon and the remainder of a gift card on my Amazon account. I was looking at Spyderco knives. I will have about 50-55 bucks that I can spend. Any stellar spydercos in that range worth checking out? I have several kershaws and a griptilian that all rotate edc duties. I've always wanted to try a spyderco. I carry right pocket, tip up and to the back if that makes a difference.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I recommend a Delica. It comes with the clip mounted in the orientation you specified above, but it can be changed to left-side carry if desired. You'll enjoy the full flat grind blade imo.

There's a reason the Delica knife has been around since 1990. The fit and finish are excellent, as with all Spyderco knives. This particular knife is made in Japan.

SouthernStar25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 6, 2013
    West Of The Fields
    Tenacious Liner Lock

spyderco-c122gpbn-cm.jpg

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    VG-10 is great for an edc knife. It's a high-carbon stainless, available from Japan exclusively.

My experience has been that it is easy to sharpen and does hold and edge quite well. VG-10 is more durable than 440C, for example.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I would say I'm not too rough on them. I think im gonna try the delica once i get my credit.

If you like slicers, make sure you get the full flat grind (FFG) version of either the Delica or the Endura. They're among the best actual cutting tools on the market regardless of price. The Delica in particular is very thin and slices like a dream when it's sharp and better than most other knives when it's not so sharp.

BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Delica for the win. I sent mine back for re-profiling and sharpening (fully serrated blade) and it is good for another 10 years. Spyderco replaced the pocket at no charge without being asked.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    If you like slicers, make sure you get the full flat grind (FFG) version of either the Delica or the Endura. They're among the best actual cutting tools on the market regardless of price. The Delica in particular is very thin and slices like a dream when it's sharp and better than most other knives when it's not so sharp.

I despise serrated blades , so are all the non-serrated versions the FFG? I use my knife for whatever cutting duties come up while I am carrying it. I only carry one knife at a time unless I'm hiking or something and have a fixed blade on me. I will definitely not be doing any prying or screwdriver jobs with it, so I think ill be alright. Define slicer.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I despise serrated blades , so are all the non-serrated versions the FFG? I use my knife for whatever cutting duties come up while I am carrying it. I only carry one knife at a time unless I'm hiking or something and have a fixed blade on me. I will definitely not be doing any prying or screwdriver jobs with it, so I think ill be alright. Define slicer.

Serrated blades are useful for certain tasks (e.g. cutting rope or belts), but I tend to agree with you and prefer a standard blade for my particular edc tasks. When I'm in a boat, however, I always have a good serrated blade with me. Lots of ropes and belts involved in boating typically.

There are all sorts of blade options for the Delica (e.g. FFG, serrated, wharncliffe, plain). I prefer the full flat grind on the delica and it's widely available. Wharncliffe is the ultimate, when it comes to a defensive blade imo (think large box cutter). All my wharncliffe knives are fixed-blade though, which allows me to deploy them quicker than a knife that has moving parts.

I'd consider the full flat grind to be a slicer, as rhino indicated. It's great for slicing just about anything thinly. A FFG also zips right through paper and cardboard effortlessly. Slicers are best defined by a fairly narrow blade thickness and a very acute sharpening angle. Choppers, by contrast, have a thicker blade section and have a more obtuse sharpening angle. The plain bladed Delica is more towards the chopper side of things, although not really a true chopper.

I like to buy from Knife Works. Check Amazon too...sometimes they will have decent pricing...other times, not so much.
    https://www.knifeworks.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=delica

Have fun choosing!

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

No, they have non-serrated saber grinds too. Nothing wrong with those, but I prefer FFG.

Slicer = thin blade, especially behind the cutting edge.

Here are Delicas with a saber grind:

timthumb.php

timthumb.php
    timthumb.php

Here is the flat grind:

timthumb.php

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    The one negative side to the Spydercos is that crap clip attachments. The screws will loosen quick over time.

It's not just Spyderco knives, just about all knives that are used and carried regularly will eventually develop loose pocket clip screws. A simple solution to the problem is to buy a #6 torx bit and back the screws out, apply a drop of BLUE Loctite and screw the torx head screws back in.....problem solved.

Top Bottom