Difference in cheap and not so cheap OTF's?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Combsie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Spencerville,IN
    I currently own a cheap OTF and would like to possibly take it a step farther with quality in mind. My current OTF is a "Lightning OTF". Yes, it's cheap but it's also a little work horse. The only thing that I don't like about it is the blade wobble when extended. I guess my question is this, Will an Ultratech(in the $230 range) be a big step up? If so, how?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    ^^^^ This

Also with an OTF there will always be a little blade wiggle it is just a downfall of the design unless of course you want to pony up ~$1000 for a G&G Hawk Deadlock

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    With the exception of the G&G Deadlock OTF (cost over $1K), all OTF knives will have some degree of blade play. The difference in the amount of blade play is associated with the quality of the OTF. Generally, lower quality OTF knives will have more (sometimes extreme) blade play, while your higher quality OTF knives will have less. Ask yourself what is the difference in quality between a Hi-Point 9mm and say a SIG P226 or P229 9mm. The answers you come up with will be close to the same answers for the difference between a high quality OTF versus a low quality OTF. It will be about the quality of the materials, and the manufacturing processes used in making the product. Example: Quality of the blade steel...obviously better quality blade steel will give you better edge performance and edge retention. Also, tolerances in the higher quality OTF knives will be tighter, thus giving you less blade play, and smoother blade deployment and retraction. Higher quality OTF knives will have machined parts versus casted parts which helps with obtaining tighter tolerances, and gives you a longer life span (longevity) for that part. Finally, the USA made higher quality OTF knives will have lifetime warranties, where most (not all) of your lower quality Chineses made OTF knives do not.

Last edited:

Combsie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Spencerville,IN
    With the exception of the G&G Deadlock OTF (cost over $1K), all OTF knives will have some degree of blade play. The difference in the amount of blade play is associated with the quality of the OTF. Generally, lower quality OTF knives will have more (sometimes extreme) blade play, while your higher quality OTF knives will have less. Ask yourself what is the difference in quality between a Hi-Point 9mm and say a SIG P226 or P229 9mm. The answers you come up with be close to the same answers for the difference between a high quality OTF versus a low quality OTF. It will be about the quality of the materials, and the manufacturing processes used in making the product. Example: Quality of the blade steel...obviously better quality blade steel will give you better edge performance and edge retention. Also, tolerances in the higher quality OTF knives will be tighter, thus giving you less blade play, and smoother blade deployment and retraction. Higher quality OTF knives will have machined parts versus casted parts which helps with obtaining tighter tolerances and giving you a longer life span (longevity). Finally, the USA made higher quality OTF knives will have lifetime warranties, where most (not all) of your lower quality Chineses made OTF knives do not.

Just the guy I was hoping would show up. Are you by chance going to be attending the Auburn gun show?

Top Bottom