• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10mmMarc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 16, 2015
    Greenwood
    I work with an older guy who has a CRKT Crawford Kasper, he swears by this knife and says they don't make them anymore, he is 83 and doesn't do the net, so today while looking I found several places that have them for around $20 , then I see they are made in China, my question is was the original ones made in America or some other place and is the China version junk ?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I work with an older guy who has a CRKT Crawford Kasper, he swears by this knife and says they don't make them anymore, he is 83 and doesn't do the net, so today while looking I found several places that have them for around $20 , then I see they are made in China, my question is was the original ones made in America or some other place and is the China version junk ?

Sounds like the old guy likes his knife and wants it to be special to him. Let it go. He's 83.

Sometimes selective memory is a gift you can give somebody else.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    As far as I know the CRKT version Crawford Kasper knife has always been manufactured in China which is not to be confused with an actual Crawford Kasper knife (custom) that was designed by Bob Kasper (RIP) and built by custom knife maker Pat Crawford.

10mmMarc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 16, 2015
    Greenwood
    Sounds like the old guy likes his knife and wants it to be special to him. Let it go. He's 83.

Sometimes selective memory is a gift you can give somebody else.

I am trying to find him another one because he wants one, but I don't want to buy a knock off or something reproduced like trash.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I see. Ask to see his one day. Look for the made in china stamp. Some knives made in China are not of poor quality.

For $20 it's almost worth ordering just as research..

Exactly, the days of associating "junk and poor quality" for a knife that is manufactured in China are over. The Chinese have caught up, and in a lot of cases surpassed other world manufactures in quality....this includes knives that are manufactured in the USA. Here are just two (there are many more) manufacturers from China that currently are manufacturing very high quality knives that are as good as, if not better than anything being made in the USA.

Reate Knives https://reateknives.com/

WE Knife Co Ltd. http://www.weknife.com/

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I carried 2 of these the 2nd time I went to Iraq. They performed well. I think if you get them from a reputable dealer, you won't have a problem.

Bob

10mmMarc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 16, 2015
    Greenwood
    I've seen his knife but never paid attention to where it was made, he just insisted they don't make them anymore and said he'd love to have a couple more, so I ordered them just to give the guy a surprise, he works hard for 83 years old we have 50 year olds that won't work as much as he does.
    I liked his knife but thought it was too big for EDC , if I carried something that big I would just carry a fixed blade, I prefer Benchmade 590.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Buy him a spyderco manix, and tell him you couldn’t find one of those out of production crkt’s.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    No. Let him think those crkt’s are discontinued and buy him a quality knife instead.

I also like my pm2.....more than the manix. The manix just reminded me more of the crkt the guy liked. Plus, the manix is cheaper, but every bit as robust as a pm2.

shouldn't that be in purple ?
    I like my Para Military 2 , I'll check that manix out

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Exactly, the days of associating "junk and poor quality" for a knife that is manufactured in China are over. The Chinese have caught up, and in a lot of cases surpassed other world manufactures in quality....this includes knives that are manufactured in the USA. Here are just two (there are many more) manufacturers from China that currently are manufacturing very high quality knives that are as good as, if not better than anything being made in the USA.

What kind of steel is Bohler M390?

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    What kind of steel is Bohler M390?

It's a super clean powder steel. M390 has a highly homogeneous structure with very fine carbides which gives it great toughness, wear resistance, and corrosion resistance properties. A lot of knife companies are using it right now, like Microtech, Benchmade, and others.

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Sure. But that’s not the case with that crkt. It’s not anywhere close to on par with what reate and weknives are putting out.

These days, you can buy extremely nice things or junk, and anywhere in between, from China. The issues are counterfeit, and you have to completely babysit everything Chinese manufacturers do.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Sure. But that’s not the case with that crkt. It’s not anywhere close to on par with what reate and weknives are putting out.

These days, you can buy extremely nice things or junk, and anywhere in between, from China. The issues are counterfeit, and you have to completely babysit everything Chinese manufacturers do.

I never said the CRKT was high quality, and I didn't address what the level of quality it is. I would think it would be obvious to most people what level of quality it is based on the fact that it is a $15 to $20 knife. I was merely stating that some manufacturers from China have caught up in being able to manufacturer a high quality knife, and you can no longer assume that everything that comes from China is junk. At the same time, you can no longer assume that just because a knife is manufactured in the USA, Germany or other countries of origin that use to have a reputation of manufacturing high quality knives that you are still getting that level of quality that they were known for in the past. I have seen some real crap coming from these countries...... including the USA. :twocents:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I was merely stating that some manufacturers from China have caught up in being able to manufacturer a high quality knife, and you can no longer assume that everything that comes from China is junk. At the same time, you can no longer assume that just because a knife is manufactured in the USA, Germany or other countries of origin that use to have a reputation of manufacturing high quality knives that you are still getting that level of quality that they were known for in the past. I have seen some real crap coming from these countries...... including the USA. :twocents:

Brad is bashing Merican labor and quality and promoting China!!! AHHHHH!!!!!!

:runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yup. Got a few real turd benchmades in the recent past. Sad, because I really wanted to like that Adamas.

I never said the CRKT was high quality, and I didn't address what the level of quality it is. I would think it would be obvious to most people what level of quality it is based on the fact that it is a $15 to $20 knife. I was merely stating that some manufacturers from China have caught up in being able to manufacturer a high quality knife, and you can no longer assume that everything that comes from China is junk. At the same time, you can no longer assume that just because a knife is manufactured in the USA, Germany or other countries of origin that use to have a reputation of manufacturing high quality knives that you are still getting that level of quality that they were known for in the past. I have seen some real crap coming from these countries...... including the USA. :twocents:

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Brad is bashing Merican labor and quality and promoting China!!! AHHHHH!!!!!!

:runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway:

:):

Yup. Got a few real turd benchmades in the recent past. Sad, because I really wanted to like that Adamas.

Unfortunately , you will see a lemon every once in awhile from just about every company. I have seen them from just about every premiere USA company there is...Spyderco, Benchmade, ZT, Kershaw, and others. The problem is, when a customer gets a lemon, it usually turns that customer off to that brand, which is unfortunate because that "one' lemon usually doesn't represent the normal quality level that comes from the company. :twocents:

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    No. Let him think those crkt’s are discontinued and buy him a quality knife instead.

I also like my pm2.....more than the manix. The manix just reminded me more of the crkt the guy liked. Plus, the manix is cheaper, but every bit as robust as a pm2.

Are you my long-lost twin brother ? :):
    I love my Manix. It's a bit heavy, but it's sturdy !

i-b4N2xj3-L.jpg

Top Bottom