Indiana Knife Law: stop the misinformation!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    7-19-2009

in a nutshell, but does not include if you are commiting a crime, or special permission on school property:

no autos. no throwing stars. no carrying while on a school bus, bus being used for school activities, or in a school.

know the law. too much misinformation out there on whats legal and whats not.

IC 35-47-5
    Chapter 5. Prohibited Instruments of Violence
    IC 35-47-5-1
    Repealed
    (Repealed by P.L.123-2002, SEC.51.)

IC 35-47-5-2
    Knife with blade that opens automatically or may be propelled
    Sec. 2. It is a Class B misdemeanor for a person to manufacture, possess, display, offer, sell, lend, give away, or purchase any knife with a blade that:
    (1) opens automatically; or
    (2) may be propelled;
    by hand pressure applied to a button, device containing gas, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.70-2000, SEC.2.

IC 35-47-5-2.5
    Possession of a knife on school property
    Sec. 2.5. (a) As used in this section, "knife" means an instrument that:
    (1) consists of a sharp edged or sharp pointed blade capable of inflicting cutting, stabbing, or tearing wounds; and
    (2) is intended to be used as a weapon.
    (b) The term includes a dagger, dirk, poniard, stiletto, switchblade knife, or gravity knife.
    (c) A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally possesses a knife on:
    (1) school property (as defined in IC 35-41-1-24.7);
    (2) a school bus (as defined in IC 20-27-2-8); or
    (3) a special purpose bus (as defined in IC 20-27-2-10);
    commits a Class B misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the person has a previous unrelated conviction under this section and a Class D felony if the offense results in bodily injury or serious bodily injury to another person.
    (d) This section does not apply to a person who possesses a knife:
    (1) if:
    (A) the knife is provided to the person by the school corporation or possession of the knife is authorized by the school corporation; and
    (B) the person uses the knife for a purpose authorized by the school corporation; or
    (2) if the knife is secured in a motor vehicle.
    As added by P.L.72-2006, SEC.9.

IC 35-47-5-12
    "Chinese throwing star" defined; related offenses
    Sec. 12. (a) A person who:
    (1) manufactures;
    (2) causes to be manufactured;
    (3) imports into Indiana;
    (4) keeps for sale;
    (5) offers or exposes for sale; or
    (6) gives, lends, or possesses;
    a Chinese throwing star commits a Class C misdemeanor.
    (b) As used in this section, "Chinese throwing star" means a throwing-knife, throwing-iron, or other knife-like weapon with blades set at different angles.
    As added by P.L.318-1985, SEC.2.

as found on Indiana Code 35-47-5

maybe we could get this as a STICKY?

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Thanks for the info!
    I have always wondered though, when they make up all these laws-
    Why cant they just be written in plain english?
    I get confused trying to decipher all the "Mumbo Jumbo"

Cant they just make it simple?

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Thanks for the info!
    I have always wondered though, when they make up all these laws-
    Why cant they just be written in plain english?
    I get confused trying to decipher all the "Mumbo Jumbo"

Cant they just make it simple?

That would make sense and they'd be out of a job!!

Bob

xamsx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NW
    Good post to clarify.

I was looking into getting a S&W S.W.A.T. assisted opener (large model) a little while back, but after doing a search of and reading through the IN knife laws, I found it would be illegal, due to it's spring.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I used to own two or three Chinese throwing stars that I swear I bought in the Logansport mall years ago. Must have been before they wrote that part of the law. I discreetly sent them to the county landfill when I became knowledgeable about firearms and started looking over Indiana weapons code.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    I used to own two or three Chinese throwing stars that I swear I bought in the Logansport mall years ago. Must have been before they wrote that part of the law. I discreetly sent them to the county landfill when I became knowledgeable about firearms and started looking over Indiana weapons code.
    I still (cough, cough) see them in some of the (cough, cough) flea markets. As well as some other not so legal (cough, cough) smoking appliances.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    wow then the LEO's need to step it up at the 1500 then cause there was a booth selling auto openers and throwing knives and throwing stars and the LEO's just walked right on by.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Good post to clarify.

I was looking into getting a S&W S.W.A.T. assisted opener (large model) a little while back, but after doing a search of and reading through the IN knife laws, I found it would be illegal, due to it's spring.

Are you sure? I thought they were assisted opening, not automatic and not illegal.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    (2) may be propelled;
    by hand pressure applied to a button, device containing gas, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.70-2000, SEC.2.

IANAL, Assisted opening knives should be good to go. The key here is "by hand pressure applied to a button". With assisted knives you are not pushing a button. You are manually opening the knife with a spring to assist you in doing so.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Good post to clarify.

Disagree. Assisted opening is not the same thing as an automatic (switchblade). I carry a S&W SWAT and can have it open in no time flat. It's not a switchblade, but it does what I need it to do.

If it's what you want, don't sweat the legalities. I've never had problem one with it.

Blessings,
    Bill

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

... selling auto openers and throwing knives and throwing stars and the LEO's just walked right on by.

Question: Are there any laws in Indiana about the length of folding knives?

xzmsx; assisted opening knives are A-OK. Not that you should base your defense upon it, but they sell assisted opening knives at Walmart. If Walmart deems them OK to sell in Indiana, especially with their huge legal team, then it's probably A-OK. And, according to the Indiana Code, it IS ok.

Marc; just to clarify a bit, throwing knives are A-OK to possess in Indiana. There is nothing in the IC to prohibit them. Throwing stars, yes. Not throwing knives.

Pudly; Please note in the text of the Indiana Code that the OP posted. There is nothing in there about length of blade for either folders or fixed blade knives.

-J-

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I can neither confirm nor deny that there are several gun stores in Indiana, where, whether legal or not, you can purchase automatic knives.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    15-20 years ago there was a Martial Arts store in Washington Square mall. That's where I bought a "throwing star". The fact that it wasn't sharpened into blades at various angles might have been the loop hole.

Sinner Man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Hell you can select from 2-3 dozen Microtech knives at the Lake County Fairgrounds gunshows at one dealer. You can own them, can't you? Just not carry?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom