Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

This is all pretty interesting. I'm an old guy (older and retired), that has studied martial arts and stick fighting for for a time, as well as has a "Indiana (life), handgun permit". None the less, my replaced knee doesn't allow me to run like I use to, or run at all for that matter. I carry a sword cane (by Cold Steel), for walks and the possible 2 or 4 legged dogs that I might run into. I have asked law enforcement officers about any laws forbidding the carry of such a cane and was told as far as they knew in Indiana there wasn't one. As a matter of fact every officer that asked, wanted to see it and respond with that it is cool and then followed with variations of "I gotta get me one of these,...lol! I guess that it gets down to a matter of self defense and what is concealed.
    Anybody know of any laws that would prohibit the carry of my cane?

Plinker

User Info Menu

I thought i heard there was a bill in the Indiana legislature regarding auto knives. Do you think we will every see a change to allow possession of auto knives?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rand60 View Post
    I thought i heard there was a bill in the Indiana legislature regarding auto knives. Do you think we will every see a change to allow possession of auto knives?

personally, the way the country is heading? probly not. but there have been a lot of big strides made by knife rights groups. so it COULD very well be repealled someday.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Any one know the Indiana laws on a sword cane?

Plinker

User Info Menu

indiana Knife Law.

Any word on the auto knife law? My understanding is that this was a law put in place in the 1950s and has never been modified. Seems like there should be an update. Those with carry permits should be allowed to carry and own an auto knife. As it is now its illegal to even own one of these in a collection.

Expert

User Info Menu

I do not believe there is a law on sword canes. Since it is not stated as something prohibited, it results in it being legal. Same for long guns, you can carry them around with you without a license if you wish to. You could even carry a 6 foot long two handed sword on your back.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    now, as has been noted in numerous other threads, local government (cities, counties, towns) can make laws SEPERATE from the state. those laws, in indiana, are few and far between but do exsist. for example: there are a few (i can think of two) places which have outlawed assisted opening knives. carmel is one, and i'm at a loss for the others right now.....

sort of like short barreled shotguns are not illegal, but indiana residents cannot own one, due to state laws.
    I live in Noblesville (Hamilton co). Have a few kershaw spring assist knives. If your driving on 37 or alot of other places, you can pass in and out of Carmel and not even know it. So when I do while carrying a kershaw, I'm breaking the law? If I would get stopped by Carmel Leo while also carrying my mp9, wonder what would happen??? Btw I carry a kershaw cryo. It's a nice blade but I don't really even consider it as a weapon. ( although I know that doesn't matter)

User Info Menu

So does it apply to those Speedsafe assisted open knives? I have a Kershaw... can't remember exact model... but it's a folder you push on the back of the handle and it pops open. Seems "automatic" to me

User Info Menu

No, your knife is speed assisted. You assist the opening process, you do not "release" the blade, therefore it is not an auto.

User Info Menu

Assisted and auto are significantly different. Auto means you use something to RELEASE the blade (button, scale, lever). Assisted you make contact WITH the blade (NOT a seperate part) usually by a spring.

And technical, when passing through ANY portion of a prohibited area, you are breaking the law. But as with other prohibited items being transported, there are ways to make it legal for a limitied time.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast