• ...and so much more!
  • cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    7-19-2009

in a nutshell, but does not include if you are commiting a crime, or special permission on school property:

no throwing stars. no carrying while on a school bus, bus being used for school activities, or in a school.

know the law. too much misinformation out there on whats legal and whats not.

IC 35-47-5
    Chapter 5. Prohibited Instruments of Violence
    IC 35-47-5-1
    Repealed
    (Repealed by P.L.123-2002, SEC.51.)

[STRIKE]IC 35-47-5-2
    Knife with blade that opens automatically or may be propelled
    Sec. 2. It is a Class B misdemeanor for a person to manufacture, possess, display, offer, sell, lend, give away, or purchase any knife with a blade that:
    (1) opens automatically; or
    (2) may be propelled;
    by hand pressure applied to a button, device containing gas, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.70-2000, SEC.2.[/STRIKE]
    Automatic opening knives (or switchblades) are legal in Indiana as of July 1, 2013.

IC 35-47-5-2.5
    Possession of a knife on school property
    Sec. 2.5. (a) As used in this section, "knife" means an instrument that:
    (1) consists of a sharp edged or sharp pointed blade capable of inflicting cutting, stabbing, or tearing wounds; and
    (2) is intended to be used as a weapon.
    (b) The term includes a dagger, dirk, poniard, stiletto, switchblade knife, or gravity knife.
    (c) A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally possesses a knife on:
    (1) school property (as defined in IC 35-41-1-24.7);
    (2) a school bus (as defined in IC 20-27-2-8); or
    (3) a special purpose bus (as defined in IC 20-27-2-10);
    commits a Class B misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the person has a previous unrelated conviction under this section and a Class D felony if the offense results in bodily injury or serious bodily injury to another person.
    (d) This section does not apply to a person who possesses a knife:
    (1) if:
    (A) the knife is provided to the person by the school corporation or possession of the knife is authorized by the school corporation; and
    (B) the person uses the knife for a purpose authorized by the school corporation; or
    (2) if the knife is secured in a motor vehicle.
    As added by P.L.72-2006, SEC.9.

IC 35-47-5-12
    "Chinese throwing star" defined; related offenses
    Sec. 12. (a) A person who:
    (1) manufactures;
    (2) causes to be manufactured;
    (3) imports into Indiana;
    (4) keeps for sale;
    (5) offers or exposes for sale; or
    (6) gives, lends, or possesses;
    a Chinese throwing star commits a Class C misdemeanor.
    (b) As used in this section, "Chinese throwing star" means a throwing-knife, throwing-iron, or other knife-like weapon with blades set at different angles.
    As added by P.L.318-1985, SEC.2.

as found on Indiana Code 35-47-5

maybe we could get this as a STICKY?

Last edited by a moderator:

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    So a fixed blade knife is ok to posess (as long as not property described above?)

I seen a cops episode where some Joe Dirt got charged for illegal ccw of a fixed blade knife.

I don't remember the location, but was curious if indiana had this law cause I carry fixed blade knives in most of my vehicles...

And I think what I have on my bike is considered a switch blade !!

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    if the knife on your bike is assisted (most kershaws, ZTs, and some others) your fine. an auto ("switchblade") has to fired via a button, a bolster, a toggle, or something similiar. a spring can "assist" the blade open, but you cannot have a release type mechanism.

as with all things: you can't believe everything on TV. it will depend on the situation (if he was commiting a crime, previous arrest history, and other things), state, local laws, ect. on what is "illegal"..... the above is the indiana state LAW on knives. its not a end all be all on all scenerios. sorta like speeding, getting pulled over, and having an open container while blowing 2.6.

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    So its ok on school property as long as its not intended to be a weapon? When they say AND in law it usually means both.

Who cares about sex ed... children really need 4 years of pre law included in their education these days with all the law happy ex-hippie baby boomers now "trying to make the world a better place".

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    RCB;652336Who cares about sex ed... children really need 4 years of pre law included in their education these days with all the law happy ex-hippie baby boomers now "trying to make the world a better place".[/quote said:
    no kidding

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    it's a spring loaded blade with a button that releases it

but it's only 2-3" long, lol

I often see threads about the length of knives and the legality attached to said length... the legal code sited above includes nothing about length... am I missing something, or is this just a point people are often confused about?

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    there are no blade length issues in the state law. many other states have maximium blade length restrictions, and that is usually where the confusion is set in.... for example, a man from texas may tell you there is a blade restriction. there may be, for him in his home state, but for an indiana resident there is none.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    now, as has been noted in numerous other threads, local government (cities, counties, towns) can make laws SEPERATE from the state. those laws, in indiana, are few and far between but do exsist. for example: there are a few (i can think of two) places which have outlawed assisted opening knives. carmel is one, and i'm at a loss for the others right now.....

sort of like short barreled shotguns are not illegal, but indiana residents cannot own one, due to state laws.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    I often see threads about the length of knives and the legality attached to said length... the legal code sited above includes nothing about length... am I missing something, or is this just a point people are often confused about?
    I can't speak for other, but I myself understood that the legal code cited above said nothing of length.

I was just stating the length of my knife to drive home the fact that it's silly that a 3" knife is illegal, just because it opens quickly...

That law should be modified to set a maximum length to stay legal...

:twocents:

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    rich,

sorry for the slow reply! it APPEARS the MAGIC system is assisted opening, not automatic, so based on that it should be good. i have never handled one, so i am going on the info they supply on the SnW site.

as to putting an edge on it: i can't find a blade steel spec ANYWHERE (RED FLAG!!!!!!). this will affect your edge holding more than the sharpening job. that being said, if you don't mind mailing a knife, Tom Krein is the man for sharpening ANYTHING. i think he charges $10, plus shipping, but he makes some of the sharpest knives ever. and, an even better idea, he could regrind it, to get teh edge geometry correct, thin out the blade to make it a better cutter. that is like $35, but if your gonna CUT stuff (not pry and split wood) it will turn it into a great a cutter as teh design and materials will allow.

good luck!

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond

I have one on the way :)

I noticed there was discussion about blade size. I think Merrillville has some ridiculously short maximum blade length for people under 18. The first time I read it I freaked because I missed the under 18 part and I would like to get the small Kabar TDI and it was larger than their max size.

Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    rich,

sorry for the slow reply! it APPEARS the MAGIC system is assisted opening, not automatic, so based on that it should be good. i have never handled one, so i am going on the info they supply on the SnW site.

as to putting an edge on it: i can't find a blade steel spec ANYWHERE (RED FLAG!!!!!!). this will affect your edge holding more than the sharpening job. that being said, if you don't mind mailing a knife, Tom Krein is the man for sharpening ANYTHING. i think he charges $10, plus shipping, but he makes some of the sharpest knives ever. and, an even better idea, he could regrind it, to get teh edge geometry correct, thin out the blade to make it a better cutter. that is like $35, but if your gonna CUT stuff (not pry and split wood) it will turn it into a great a cutter as teh design and materials will allow.

good luck!

No problem. It's a 4034 Steel. It dulled up real quick IMHO, although I can be hard on knives I suppose. I bought a Rural King "Lansky" look alike sharpening system but wasn't really satisfied with it. From my understanding of the knife it has a edge on one side and blunt on the other side. I tried changing that and can tell a slight difference in the way it cuts. It seems it has held it's edge better since I tried adding the second edge.

However, it still isn't as sharp as I would like it to be. I have an old knife (looks like a Swiss) and that old knife gets a great edge on a sharpner I have (looks like 2 washers that you pull the knife through) it's a much thinner blade though and I think that helps alot.

As far as the M&P knife goes, I was really disappointed in the finish wearing off as fast as it did. I was unable to find a star key to fit the screws, holding on the pocket clip. So I bought some new ones and one of them broke off. So all in all I have a $43 fancy looking, fast opening, halfway sharp knife. NOT WHAT I SIGNED UP FOR! I will be giving the chance to the more exspensive knifes once more (Leatherman ALX) and if it fails me I will go back to my $20 and under knifes. :dunno: :):

Thanks for the info

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    what type of edge is on it? does it have serrations? i can sharpen it for you if it is a plain edge, w/o serrations. just send it here, and toss a $5 in it for return shipping.

the SnW knives are wasted money, imo.... you could have gotten MUCH better for the $50 you have in it. and the leatherman knives are better, but still not what i would call "high quality". their TOOLS, yeah! knives? ah... i can do without em! i hope it works well for you though!

Bastispah

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Morristown IN
    i saw switchblades at a gun show recently, for as long as i have known they were illegal in Indiana, so you can imagine my shock when i saw them at a show here in indiana.:dunno:

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    i saw switchblades at a gun show recently, for as long as i have known they were illegal in Indiana, so you can imagine my shock when i saw them at a show here in indiana.:dunno:

yeah. there are some "explainations" about why and how they get away with it... but, don't be lulled into a sense of "its ok"... because its not! sorta like running a red light because the guy in front of you got away with it! caution! difficulties ahead! :laugh:

Top Bottom