Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana Knife Law FAQ

User Info Menu

Thanks for the post, how I can properly respond to the questions I get from people who catch a glimpse of my SOG SEAL Pup in a MercHarness if my jacket gaps too much

User Info Menu

well, it depends on what route you want to go.

you can educate, and correct them abotu the law, if they are misinformed. you have the right to carry a knife. they can like it or not, but its your right.

you can ignore.

you can tell them to mind their own business. its really none of theirs.

you can talk to them about the knife, try to get them involved, and see you aren't some looney who wants to stab someone. just a guy with a tool.

no one can really TELL you how to handle it..... but i would just stick with being a nice guy and return the "is that knife" question with "yes, it is."...

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    7-19-2009
    IC 35-47-5-2
    Knife with blade that opens automatically or may be propelled
    Sec. 2. It is a Class B misdemeanor for a person to manufacture, possess, display, offer, sell, lend, give away, or purchase any knife with a blade that:
    (1) opens automatically; or
    (2) may be propelled;
    by hand pressure applied to a button, device containing gas, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.70-2000, SEC.2.

So just to make sure, a spring-assisted knife is legal in Indiana?

Sadly when moving to IN, I had to leave behind my Benchmade 9050.

Also left behind my favorite pocket knife ever, a smaller spring-assisted Benchmade, because I wasn't sure if they were okay in IN. Now I must retrieve it the next time I go back.

User Info Menu

If it is an assisted opener then yes it is ok.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Knife carry

I have friends in Indiana, who don't carry knives or guns and when they come to Georgia, they flip out , because in ga you can have a switch blade if you have a carry permit, you can carry a fix-blade knife openly on your belt just about anywhere. I go into stores with my daughter (27,5ft5 weighs101lbs) and she has a sheith knife about 12in long on her belt, we even go in resteraunts, and no one says anything, never have.

User Info Menu

I'll post in here first, to see if I get a response.

So there are restrictions to what kind of knife (automatics= bad, assisted= ok), and no apparent prejudice against fixed knives. I looked as far as my eyes could see online about carrying a fixed blade (in Avon), and I would really like to carry this.

Frost Cutlery's Lone Wolf

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/1514/15032bcrop.jpg

10 1/4" overall length, and I want to say, without measuring, that the blade is maybe 6 inches, and comes with a nylon sheath and a belt loop for me to use.

Would I be able to carry this?
    Last edited by TJSieling; 08-02-2010 at 17:35. Reason: forgot to put in location

Master

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TJSieling View Post
    I'll post in here first, to see if I get a response.

So there are restrictions to what kind of knife (automatics= bad, assisted= ok), and no apparent prejudice against fixed knives. I looked as far as my eyes could see online about carrying a fixed blade (in Avon), and I would really like to carry this.

Frost Cutlery's Lone Wolf

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/1514/15032bcrop.jpg

10 1/4" overall length, and I want to say, without measuring, that the blade is maybe 6 inches, and comes with a nylon sheath and a belt loop for me to use.

Would I be able to carry this?
    In Indiana you can carry a fixed blade knife and there is no limit on the length. With that said ....there possibly could be a local law that may prohibit you from carry or have length restrictions. I suggest you check and see if Avon or Hendricks county has any local laws regarding carry and blade length.

Plinker

User Info Menu

on the fixed blade thing.....i have checked and even asked the police in Lebanon and they dont know anything about restrictions on blade length. so im taking it that there isnt any. and i will start carring my k-bar.
    Last edited by whitetrash; 08-03-2010 at 01:40. Reason: i misread posts

Shooter

User Info Menu

I was always under the impression there was some legality regarding knives/bladed objects to be carried, especially regarding length.

According to this thread, one can carry a machete/k-bar or some other tool and ought to face no legal restrictions, as long as they stay within the regulations?

I've always felt that 2A ought not just apply to "firearms" but various forms of weaponry; I suppose this way it just draws the line in the sand between constitutional protection.

Im curious if Knive laws apply to all bladed tools, like Hatchets,ax etc.

Again, under the impressions from Society.

Shooter

User Info Menu

if the founding fathers thought the future government would have become so controlling in micro managing the american public, im sure they would have added MANY things to the constitution to tell them to get off our backs. oh wait scratch that, they did tell us how to get them off our backs. enough said.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast