Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Schrade - good or bad?

As title says. Their knives seem to be pretty solid but I have always been a proponent of you get what you pay for

User Info Menu

Older Schrade - like 25+ years ago: can certainly be good.

stuff newer than that? Likely not very good.

User Info Menu

They are not the finest steel you can buy, but an old Sharp Finger is a very serviceable and user sharpenable tool that the average guy would never wear out. Last two Schrades i bought were VERY sharp out of the package.
    Parkerizing lollipops since 1973.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tactically Fat View Post

This....^^^^^^^^
    Quote Originally Posted by patience0830 View Post
    Thread killing historian.

User Info Menu

like others have said, I will add the new stuff is cheep enough, but the blade steel is very soft! it will sharpen very easily and a few strokes over a stone with make it razor sharp!, but after you save the hair on your arm proving how sharp it is, it's dull again and need to be resharpened

and fyi schrade, old times, uncle henry, imperial, and smith and Wesson knives, are all owned by battenfield technologies, and a lot of the schrade/smith knives are the same with different branding (but the same blade steel)
    Never too many sigs in your safe!-mike4sigs

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tactically Fat View Post

This.

An old, original 8OT stockman is one of the best pocket knives you can have.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

Plinker

User Info Menu

They are great from a utility/value standpoint. If you are looking for an heirloom or status symbol, probably not what you want.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Thanks for the feedback

Expert

User Info Menu

Take a look at Ebay and see if you can find one that is at least 25 years old. Back then, they were made to last a lifetime and are more than worth the search. I have an LB8 and a couple of fixed blade ones that are older than that and still going strong. You can't go wrong with any of them that were made during that time. So far as buying a new one today, they are fair at best. You can get a much better quality blade for about the same price with a Gerber, KaBar, or Kershaw. JMHO.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Take a look at Ebay and see if you can find one that is at least 25 years old. Back then, they were made to last a lifetime and are more than worth the search. I have an LB8 and a couple of fixed blade ones that are older than that and still going strong. You can't go wrong with any of them that were made during that time. So far as buying a new one today, they are fair at best. You can get a much better quality blade for about the same price with a Gerber, KaBar, or Kershaw. JMHO.
    Completely agree with this. My EDC is a Kershaw 3850. Exceptional value for a good all-around knife.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast