• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    HI all - I'm not usually in the "Cutting Edge" section of INGO. I currently reside in Michigan, and teach at U of Michigan. I'm trying my best to find good legal options that meet local/university safety requirements for a self-defense knife.

So, I'm looking for recommendations on a 3" folding blade and/or a 4" fixed blade. These would be for self-defense and light duty use.
    Budget is $100 per each, but I'd prefer to keep it around $50-75 if possible. I'm all ears...

THanks.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    https://www.knifecenter.com/item/EM...d-stonewashed-154cm-blade-skeletonized-handle

timthumb.php

EMLAGSFnb.jpg

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Purley for defensive purposes?

For a folding knife, the Spyderco Matriarch 2

Fixed, Kabar Hinderance, the original Hinderer TDI was a very mean defensive knife and the Hinderer/Kabar colab resembles a lot of Hinderer's original TDI

Or the Spyderco Shirley-Owens ARK serrated
    [h=1][/h]

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... teach at U of Michigan. I'm trying my best to find good legal options that meet local/university safety requirements for a self-defense knife.

So, I'm looking for recommendations on a 3" folding blade and/or a 4" fixed blade. ...

A 4" fixed blade would be a legal option for Michigan? If it is, then I've misunderstood the MI code for a while (always a possibility).

I have 3" blades specifically for trips to Michigan.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Take a look at Kershaw assisted opening folders, I own several all USA made and are superb EDC knives. For a 4" fixed blade all purpose hunting I would suggest a Buck Vanguard in 420HC I own two and can get a scary hair popping edge on mine. Keep and eye out on Ebay and good to great deals can be found on Buck vanguards. Kershaw Camber or Knockout folders are excellent choices.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    First, spend the money on some training rather than the knife. You will quickly learn that you are the weapon, not the knife. A guy with a kitchen or fruit knife that actually knows how to use it is a hell of a lot scarier than one that knows nothing about it and ordered something cool from a catalog. 1 warning though: If the guy presents the material like it's no big deal to defend against a knife, RUN. He's an idiot, and you will be doing more damage than good. I really like things like the Filipino and Indonesian martial arts. These arts often teach the same strike, regardless if it's with an empty hand, blade, or impact weapon. Some systems that focus more on empty hands like Wing Chun or JKD, also translate well to blade work. Also check out some of the arts that are more reality based, focusing towards the martial and less toward the art (Libre, Piper, Shivworks, PTK tactial associaton, etc...).

Second, most guys that suggest a "defensive" knife know absolutely nothing about defense with a knife. It's like going to the Rural King gun counter, and asking for a handgun for self defense. You will also find that most "defensive" knives are designed by guys that don't know the first thing about using a knife defensively. Many are equipped with cool looking features, that are actually more dangerous towards you than the feeder. You want a simple design, that you can deploy under EXTREME stress. In all honesty, you might find yourself spending more money on the sheath than you do on the actual blade (Blade Rigs, Dark Star Gear, etc..... )

When attending seminars and classes, look at what the guys that actually train are carrying. Often times, they've put a ton of thought into it, and tested it in training. You will find that their training blade looks like it has been to hell and back, and a lot of hours have been spent in attempt to perfect their skill set with it. Kind of like cauliflower ear on a BJJ instructor, or crooked snotlocker on a boxing coach. Speak with with the instructors and see what they are carrying. You will see similar trends among different training groups and disciplines.

I don't mean this to come off snobby, I really don't. I've just been down this road as well, and wish I had learned this earlier. Training with a blade has become an obsession for me. The more that I learn, the more work that I see needs done. And many of the "defensive" knives I've purchased in the past, make me cringe when I see them now.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom