• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I've got a few older axe's and have been using them quite a bit lately, but I think I want a new one. Local Lowes has several in stock, I assume they will be more than fine but there are lots of people with good experience on here! I thought about a shorter axe first but I am a pretty big guy and a standard size is probably better. As for use, good ol chopping, trees down, cutting them up on the ground, etc etc. :)

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    You would be well served with an american felling axe from one of the swedish companies or a velvicut. I like Granfors bruks, but they are spendy. I seldom go to the woods without my small forest axe.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    threadjack: I need one too, mostly for splitting wood....should I get a general purpose axe or one made specifically for splitting?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    A couple of years ago I started getting the axe bug. I bought a Husqvarna carpenters axe that I just really liked for splitting up kindling, but wanted something longer and with a lighter head and ended up buying the Husqvarna 26" forest axe that's probably my all time favorite axe to this day. Something about the weight and size of that axe just make it a pleasure to make big wood into smaller wood. Not too much longer after that I was having such a love affair with axes that I bought an H&B forge 28" felling axe and while I like it a lot, I just never really fell in love with it.

My current setup that I keep in the bed of the truck because it always seems to come in handy is the Husqvarna 26" in this handy little shoulder sling pouch that also has a folding bow saw in it. Between the saw and axe combo there's really not a whole lot of stuff out there that I've struggled with getting the job done on. https://www.campcraftoutdoors.com/product-page/axe-saw-sling-bag

Having said all of that, I'm not a professional logger and mostly use an axe for light utility work. I still consider buying myself a gransfors bruks small forest axe though from time to time because it seems to be the gold standard that all other axes are judged by. Sort of the colt 6920 of the axe world.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Is this for a HOBBY, or is it for a NEED?

That answer will weigh heavily on what you might choose.

-Nate

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    To me, an axe is a "buy once, cry once deal". I use them heavily, so have a couple good quality axes. Latest is a Stihl forester, seems nice quality, not a lot of use yet. Has a good rating online.

I like to find them at garage/yard sales. Usually rusty but clean up nice. My favorite is an old Snow and Neally 3/4 axe. Paid $4 for it, rusty, very little use, all the lines and bit are sharp. They were hand made then and are pricey now.

Look for good quality steel. Several sights have ratings of the different brands.

Don

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I was looking at the granfors and husky line, and the stuff at Lowe’s. I have a ton of trees on our property, have a good bit to clean up in the yard before we can mow shew! I have a couple chainsaws but the axe is quiet and it’s good exercise. I grew up splitting wood with my dad so I enjoy it for some reason.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I know they're not fancy but the estwing 26" camper axe always gets good reviews for durability.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Looking at about 20 tracts of land today, I twice had to clear some windblown treetops off the "roads". Had to use my spetsnaz shovel which did surprisingly well for limbs up to 3" or so. But a short axe is definitely on my list for the car.

DFacres

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    This sphere
    Axe....hmmm???
    I don't own an axe, and over the past 30+ yrs, I have cut down MANY trees n cut up a LOT of firewood to heat various houses I have lived in. Although not what the OP is asking, I don’t see the purpose of an axe when a good sharp chainsaw is way more efficient. Power tools are your friend :): just like old fashioned hand shears went by the wayside with the invention of the elec or gas hedge trimmers.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have a couple of "cheap" Norland Tomahawk Hudson Bay style axes. The boy scout type 2# head and 24" handle combo served me well enough to buy a backup and dedicate one to live in the truck. I bought them at the Helmsburg General Store in the late 80's. :fogey:

Later I found it was Dave Canterbury's favorite packing axe for winter weather... ;)

[video=youtube;rH0nhmEuhis]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH0nhmEuhis[/video]

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    threadjack: I need one too, mostly for splitting wood....should I get a general purpose axe or one made specifically for splitting?

Fiskars splitting axes work well. A single bitted axe is a better choice if you have to chop with it but technique in splitting will be key with one.

Just splitting alone, I'll take a maul.

DFacres

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    This sphere
    Fiskars splitting axes work well. A single bitted axe is a better choice if you have to chop with it but technique in splitting will be key with one.

Just splitting alone, I'll take a maul.
    Although I don’t own an axe, I do own a maul. It has collected a lot of dust since purchasing a hydraulic log splitter years ago.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I plan on picking up a few different axes to swing around, very exciting!! I plan on keeping one in the vehicle just in case, I have come upon downed tree's and limbs out on county roads during storms etc many times.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Oh man, when I read the title, I thought you meant one of these:
    View attachment 66081

Actually, I was thinking of one of these -

yPyFeBa.jpg

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    For a light splitting axe, the Fiskars is hard to beat. I have used mine a lot and it works very well. New axes are expensive, if you get a good one. The big box store axes I don’t like at all. Grandfors Bruks are very good and will run well North of 100 bucks. I have a council tool axe that is a little cheaper but is also good quality. My GB forest axe is my favorite.

Top Bottom