• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    After weeks trying to decide what to spend my birthday money on I went with a Spyderco Manix 2 in S30V with G10 handles. I cannot overstate how much I love this knife. Spyderco always comes through for me.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    i1j1BT
    i1j1BT
    20180525_182249.jpg

20180525_182241.jpg

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Don't forget to put a proper lanyard and bead (Spydie ball) on it .... you'll love it even more. I love mine ! :D

i-b4N2xj3-L.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    A lanyard should have a hole that you can put your hand through. THAT is a useless piece of decorative crap.

Based on your statement, you appear to be ignorant on the intent and usage of that lanyard. When I use the word ignorant, I mean it in factual sense and I am not using it to insult.

The Manix 2 is a knife that may only be carried (using the pocket clip) with the tip of the blade upward in the pocket. This orientation presents a potential hazard to the use who inserts his hand into the pocket to draw a knife whose blade has opened partially, exposing the sharp edge. While wearing the knife to the rear of the pocket reduces the risk of the blade opening, it does not eliminate it.

Use of a short lanyard allows someone a means to quickly and efficiently withdraw their knife from the pocket without inserting their hand. It is not intended for use in the same manner as a lanyard that is looped around the wrist (or better, around thumb and across the back of the hand). However, they can be used to extend the grip of a knife for light chopping work with good effect. That works essentially the same way as a pinky loop on a fixed blade.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Based on your statement, you appear to be ignorant on the intent and usage of that lanyard. When I use the word ignorant, I mean it in factual sense and I am not using it to insult.

The Manix 2 is a knife that may only be carried (using the pocket clip) with the tip of the blade upward in the pocket. This orientation presents a potential hazard to the use who inserts his hand into the pocket to draw a knife whose blade has opened partially, exposing the sharp edge. While wearing the knife to the rear of the pocket reduces the risk of the blade opening, it does not eliminate it.

Use of a short lanyard allows someone a means to quickly and efficiently withdraw their knife from the pocket without inserting their hand. It is not intended for use in the same manner as a lanyard that is looped around the wrist (or better, around thumb and across the back of the hand). However, they can be used to extend the grip of a knife for light chopping work with good effect. That works essentially the same way as a pinky loop on a fixed blade.

Well dang, my friend ...... you spoiled my upcoming demonstration ! (but thanks) :)
    You hit on two of the three points that I was going to make.
    The third ..... well ..... I won't publish that on an open forum. Let's just say that I had some unusually tough friends in my younger days !

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Well dang, my friend ...... you spoiled my upcoming demonstration ! (but thanks) :)
    You hit on two of the three points that I was going to make.
    The third ..... well ..... I won't publish that on an open forum. Let's just say that I had some unusually tough friends in my younger days !

Haha! Sorry for stealing your thunder!

All of my tip-up-only folders have lanyards or pigtails (a piece of paracord with 3-7 snake knots tied) on them. Some of my larger tip-down folders have a pigtail as well, specifically to extend the grip for light chopping. I also add a pigtail to my fixed blades that have short handles or have sheaths that cover some of the grip. The cordage held you draw the knife and have a using grip right away.

I'd also like to add that the Manix 2 and its lightweight versions as well as its big brother, the Manix 2 XL are among the best folding knife designs in the history of the industry. In a horrible bizarro universe where I could have only one folder, it would be Manix 2 XL. Or maybe a Military. Nah, Manix 2XL. No, I'd have to have both!

BluedSteel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2018
    Huntingburg
    All of my tip-up-only folders have lanyards or pigtails (a piece of paracord with 3-7 snake knots tied) on them. Some of my larger tip-down folders have a pigtail as well, specifically to extend the grip for light chopping. I also add a pigtail to my fixed blades that have short handles. . .

Rhino's point is both descriptive and useful. Let's all agree on two things, shall we? 1) The man has good taste and bought a beautiful knife. 2) If it's meant to go around your hand, wrist or whatever to help control it during use it's a lanyard; if it's meant as an aid in drawing or presenting the weapon it's a pigtail [which also works to effectively lengthen the handle]. Let peace and harmony reign.

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Just picked up the LW variant yesterday. It has renwed my faith in Spyderco. Thanks for sharing!
    I’ve had one of the lightweight versions for a couple years now. Definitely one of my favorite Knives. Would love to pick one up like the opening post did with the g10 handles.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Confession:

rhino does not own a standard Manix 2 (steel frame, G-10 scales, CPM S30V blade).

That's right. He does not have one.

rhino feels cheap and inadequate.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Confession:

rhino does not own a standard Manix 2 (steel frame, G-10 scales, CPM S30V blade).

That's right. He does not have one.

rhino feels cheap and inadequate.

Let's start a go-fund-me page for the mighty rhino. He is deserving to be adequate !!! :delivery:

deeno3432

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 4, 2018
    heartland
    I got a manix 2 g10 scaled half serrated version and its a standard of quality to me. I have small hands so its a bit large but great knife overall.

Top Bottom