• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Hey guys I'm posting this here because I know there are some on here with A LOT of knowledge on this subject and I could use your help please if you dont mind.

I would like to purchase an authentic Japanese Samurai type sword. I'll be upfront that I know NOTHING about these really so I am the perfect candidate to get scammed. That's why i need help from INGO family.

I dont know what's available, where to find it, what it's called, how much it is, if I can get an old piece or an AUTHENTIC replica (I dont want some cheap crap sword, I want an actual machine like a firearm is, the real deal work of art.) I think I would like something older than a wwii style or military sword. An actual old piece or replica of one.

This isn't something I plan on playing with, I'm going to admire it for the piece of art and craftsmanship that it is. I would like to find one in decent shape. Thank you for any suggestions and help and information. I am looking forward to learning too.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Whew, that is a deep pool you are dipping into, if you want a real antique. Not only are they typically thousands of dollars, there are tons of fakes out there and it's hard to know who to trust.

As to a reproduction for cutting things, rhino's links are a great place to start.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/cutting-edge/451477-wwii-japanese-officers-sword.html

I wanted one for a long time myself but couldn't bring myself to spend the $750 and up for an authentic one. And $750 is for the less desirable, machine made, metal handle ones that were issued to NCO's, not the hand forged officer's swords. I lucked into a blade (check out my post above) and rebuilt it with authentic parts. Not all original but was good enough for me.

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Thank you guys. This is excellent and exactly what I was looking for. I had no real idea of a monetary starting point or anything so this was very helpful. Once again INGO doesnt dissapoint

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I know it as the zhanmadao (horse chopping saber, the forebearer of the katana). You can spend as much money as you want.

If you just want a replica/wall hanger, can do it under 4 bills. If you want a trainer, under 100. Ensure you get the whippy kind so you can show the jing (body power/follow through).

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Which of those have you cut yourself with?

Oh, right, that's a foolish question. Nobody's got time for that.

Which of those have you not cut yourself with?

Hah! Zero.

The only swords I have were forged in the Philippines in the mid 1970s or earlier (I only know when they came home to our house). I have not yet injured myself with any of them, but I did enjoy slashing at a copy of the TV Guide tossed into the air one night when I was in sixth grade. The sword won and TV Guide lost.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Hah! Zero.

The only swords I have were forged in the Philippines in the mid 1970s or earlier (I only know when they came home to our house). I have not yet injured myself with any of them, but I did enjoy slashing at a copy of the TV Guide tossed into the air one night when I was in sixth grade. The sword won and TV Guide lost.

What about all the swords of your people on the board that I sent you?

Top Bottom