• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I understand Marion county prohibits carrying a fixed blade knife with a blade longer than 1/2 inch. (Yes, I was shocked.)
    Does anyone know the penalty for violating this? I tried to slog through the regulations, but I couldn't find anything about penalties.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    1/2"? Did you mean 12"?

Where did you find this law? Surely the rule is backed by a municipal code reference?

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    [FONT=&quot]which has an exposed point or edge of more than one-half (½) inch, unless the point or edge is protected with a guard so as to cover it and prevent injury to any person coming in contact therewith.[/FONT]

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    [FONT=&amp]which has an exposed point or edge of more than one-half (½) inch, unless the point or edge is protected with a guard so as to cover it and prevent injury to any person coming in contact therewith.[/FONT]

Yep. Carry it in a sheath and you are good. wander around with it, blade exposed and you have a problem. Unless its a box cutter.
    3603_xl.jpg

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Well that is section B and if you are going to USE it for anything (like self defense) the cover will have to be removed.

Section A says: [FONT=&amp]It shall be unlawful for any person to carry around or have in his manual possession or control any ice pick or similar kind of sharp instrument, other than ordinary pocketknives,

It sounds to me as though you can carry an ordinary pocket knife or a 1/2 inch fixed blade knife.[/FONT]

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Municipal ordinances are fine only.

The law isn't designed to keep you from possessing or using a sharp object, it's to keep you from having an exposed sharp object that someone could bump in to and hurt themselves or walking around with an exposed blade in your hand. I vaguely remember it being discussed in the academy, and apparently it goes back to the days of trolley cars and people getting poked with ornamental hat pins.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    So a concealed Cold Steel Safekeeper would be legal.
    And, if not, the most I would face is a fine; no felony conviction.

Thank you very much! :ingo: comes through again.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    [FONT=&amp]which has an exposed point or edge of more than one-half (½) inch, unless the point or edge is protected with a guard so as to cover it and prevent injury to any person coming in contact therewith.[/FONT]

Municipal ordinances are fine only.

The law isn't designed to keep you from possessing or using a sharp object, it's to keep you from having an exposed sharp object that someone could bump in to and hurt themselves or walking around with an exposed blade in your hand. I vaguely remember it being discussed in the academy, and apparently it goes back to the days of trolley cars and people getting poked with ornamental hat pins.

See above.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I asked a State Trooper that used to be assigned up there...
    He said it was to keep random crackheads from carrying around kitchen knives, which he said was a problem.

Top Bottom