• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    So, I rarely come into the cutting edge subforum, and readily admit I know little about knives. I have a Boker or 2 around, and a few Cold Steel knives that I have had for many years (I'm aware that they are hit or miss and their owner has some rep issues). I daily carry a Cold Steel Voyager folder with a Tanto blade, which a few people have tried to sharpen without great success. Bought them when I was regularly in Sevierville, TN near the Knifeworks many years ago. Haven't bought any new knives in more than a decade.

All that said, I was recently reading an issue of American Handgunner and came across Outdoor Edge https://www.outdooredge.com/ and some info on their Razor series. I'm just starting to do some reading. Anyone have any experience with them? Are these things worth a damn as a regular pocket carry for various tasks that a knife is useful for (opening boxes, day to day cutting needs). I don't have any tactical training with a knife, so really looking for utility function but also don't want to buy junk.

https://www.outdooredge.com/

Thoughts, or other recommendations that won't break the bank, or should I just stick with my Cold Steel Voyager Tanto blade and find someone who can sharpen it?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So, I rarely come into the cutting edge subforum, and readily admit I know little about knives. I have a Boker or 2 around, and a few Cold Steel knives that I have had for many years (I'm aware that they are hit or miss and their owner has some rep issues). I daily carry a Cold Steel Voyager folder with a Tanto blade, which a few people have tried to sharpen without great success. Bought them when I was regularly in Sevierville, TN near the Knifeworks many years ago. Haven't bought any new knives in more than a decade.

All that said, I was recently reading an issue of American Handgunner and came across Outdoor Edge https://www.outdooredge.com/ and some info on their Razor series. I'm just starting to do some reading. Anyone have any experience with them? Are these things worth a damn as a regular pocket carry for various tasks that a knife is useful for (opening boxes, day to day cutting needs). I don't have any tactical training with a knife, so really looking for utility function but also don't want to buy junk.

https://www.outdooredge.com/

Thoughts, or other recommendations that won't break the bank, or should I just stick with my Cold Steel Voyager Tanto blade and find someone who can sharpen it?

There is nothing wrong with Cold Steel Voyagers. In fact they are excellent knives. Assuming it's not damaged, I'm surprised you can't find someone who can sharpen it for you, as the edge is already thin due to the grind. Where do you live? If it's just one knife and you're close enough to meet, I could do it for you and then you could use a Sharpmaker or something similar to maintain it.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    There is nothing wrong with Cold Steel Voyagers. In fact they are excellent knives. Assuming it's not damaged, I'm surprised you can't find someone who can sharpen it for you, as the edge is already thin due to the grind. Where do you live? If it's just one knife and you're close enough to meet, I could do it for you and then you could use a Sharpmaker or something similar to maintain it.

PM'd.

Top Bottom