• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do You Use EDC Knives to Prep & Eat Food?

• Total voters

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    How many use "non-kitchen" knives in the kitchen? I switched to using MoraKniv Companions as paring knives, steak knives, and general food prep knives in the kitchen and not only do they work better, they will last a long, long time. And they have sheaths to protect the blade in the drawer. WIN.

I haven't used a restaurant's knife to cut steak or other food for quite a few years. I've used many different folders and a few fixed blades in restaurants. Some people think it's weird, but I can't stand to use a knife that won't cut well. Plus it's fun.

I'm cutting the chicken I'm having for lunch with a Buck 110.

Oh! For those who want to start using their EDC knife as a steak knife, don't forget: avoid letting the edge bump into the plate. The ceramic plate will dull your knife quickly. Also, cutting meat (beef) is more abrasive and dulls a knife faster than most other things you will cut, even though it doesn't seem like it would. So expect to need a touch-up on the edge after a few steaks!

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Professor Rhino, a question:

How does your method account for the unsanitary accumulation of dirt, dust, and in your case, blood, which can gather on a pocket knife? Do you sanitize it in some way?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Professor Rhino, a question:

How does your method account for the unsanitary accumulation of dirt, dust, and in your case, blood, which can gather on a pocket knife? Do you sanitize it in some way?

An antibacterial wipe in your pocket is very useful for both pre- and post-meal cleaning of your knife.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Since I grew up with a father as a restaurant owner and Master Chef, we use only kitchen knives in the kitchen. And not many. Mainly I use a chef's knife, a boning knife and a slicing knife(straight, round blunt tip with Granton edge). Chef's knife does 80% of the cutting in my kitchen.

But now that you opened this thread, I am reminded that I am due for a new set of steak knives. My in-laws bought me a set probably 10-15 years ago and they are getting dull.:)

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    We travel quite a bit for youth sports and I will admit that sometimes I cut fruit, vegetables, hard salami, cheese blocks, etc. with my EDC Swiss. Usually try to wash it off, but if I'm not in the hotel, I figure it can't be too bad.

I'm still kicking, anyway!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The thought of pulling me edc knife to cut a steak at a restaurant makes me cringe wet wipes or not.

Gross.

What the heck have you been cutting with your knife??

Plus, if we all had more than one knife, we could have one that is kept relatively clean for use when you need a clean knife.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I use my Expat Cleaver a bunch, although it’s not my EDC, it’s in my camp bag. Otherwise, my ESEE 3 or my Izumi are my kitchen cutter/steak knives. I’ve also used my Hinderer XM-18 slicer at a restaurant now and again.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    We've got the typical kitchen knife set at our house and it's fine, but I look at meal prep as an opportunity to test and get familiar with gear. When my wife asks me to cut up some onions, I have to decide which toy I'm going to play with. I don't do this at restaurants, because I do have some manners. As far as using my EDC blade for meal prep in the kitchen, I can't imagine not using it. I have zero hesitation in pulling out my edc and slicing meat, or cutting up veggies. I don't know why anyone would. Then again I scroll through the knife picture thread and see all the mint condition knives guys have been "using" every day for years that don't have the first scuff mark on them. Ultimately for me I look at the kitchen as a great place to get that much more familiar with a tool that I intend to use when I'm far away from home.

I couldn't agree more on needing touched up after cutting on a hard plate. Our kids are still little so we have a lot of plastic plates so those are my cutting boards more times than not. As far as blades being dirty, I do this great trip where I pinch my fingers on either flat/dull side of the blade and wipe off any dust and magically it's ready for some cooking.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    How many use "non-kitchen" knives in the kitchen? I switched to using MoraKniv Companions as paring knives, steak knives, and general food prep knives in the kitchen and not only do they work better, they will last a long, long time. And they have sheaths to protect the blade in the drawer. WIN.

I see very little difference between a good fixed blade "field" knife and a kitchen knife, except for price.

I haven't used a restaurant's knife to cut steak or other food for quite a few years. I've used many different folders and a few fixed blades in restaurants. Some people think it's weird, but I can't stand to use a knife that won't cut well. Plus it's fun.

Haven't done it in restaurants, but agree about getting a knife that cuts well. I hate cutting a steak with a standard table knife.

Oh! For those who want to start using their EDC knife as a steak knife, don't forget: avoid letting the edge bump into the plate. The ceramic plate will dull your knife quickly. Also, cutting meat (beef) is more abrasive and dulls a knife faster than most other things you will cut, even though it doesn't seem like it would. So expect to need a touch-up on the edge after a few steaks!

One of those little ceramic pass through sharpeners can be your friend. Or just flip their ceramic coffee cup over and drag the blade along the unglazed edge.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    An antibacterial wipe in your pocket is very useful for both pre- and post-meal cleaning of your knife.

I'll whip out my ZT0452 when eating lunch at work, or while grilling, or in a restaurant with sub-par cutlery.

I give it a wipe on my jeans or shirt tail before and after.;)

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    What the heck have you been cutting with your knife??

Plus, if we all had more than one knife, we could have one that is kept relatively clean for use when you need a clean knife.

I use my knife as a typical pocket knife lol. Just cut random stuff that needs cuttin. But the thought of pulling out my edc slicing up a steak and then a quick wipe down and it snack in my pocket. Gross. Can't help but think of steak juices in the crevasses then leaking into my pocket.

I mean if my pants smell like steak what's to stop a bear from charging me ?!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    All excellent responses!

I should have put a poll on this topic!

A related discussion would be if anyone uses what we consider "kitchen cutlery" as an outdoors or EDC knife. In the not too distant past, there wasn't really a difference between knives you use in the kitchen and the knife you used in the field to field dress and skin a deer or whittle a tent stake. You can see youtube videos of people building survival/bushcraft/camping kits on tiny budgets and frequently the cutting tool is a kitchen knife from the dollar store with an improvised sheath.

Top Bottom